Nominate Albums for forthcoming Best of 2010-2020 Tourney

I second the:

Vaura - Selenelion
Spectral Lore III
Wreckmeister Harmonies - Night of Your Ascension
Obsequiae - Suspended in the Brume of Eos (more so than the second album)
Burzen - Belus

Some I would like to add:

Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I

Locrian & Mamiffer - Bless them that curse you

Lake of Blood - Omnipotens Tyrannus

Gris - À l'âme enflammée, l'âme constellée

Kayo Dot - Hubardo [A good starting point would be track 2 to 5)

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I'd second the Empyrium and throw in Borknagar - Winter Thrice. That Sacriphyx is also good. There might be some Doom but I don't think I've spent enough time with them (The Obsessed, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, The Skull, Tyrant, Wheel).

These are my selections. They are mostly unknowns here due to lyrics (except for J. with Panegyrist) so I'm not expecting much interaction, but some listens (or maybe even a second!) would be cool for those so inclined.

Hesychast - Ageless (2016) (Atmospheric Unblack with Orthodox Christian elements)

Panegyrist - Hierurgy (2018) (Avant garde Unblack)

Slechtvalk - A Forlorn Throne (2010) (Viking Metal)

Drottnar - Stratum (2012) (Technical Unblack)

Vials of Wrath - Days Without Names (2015) (Cascadian style "Grey Metal")

Skald in Veum - Stridslysten (2019) (Ripping Unblack ala 1349)

Anima Mortuum - Goat Destruction (2019) (Old skool Unblack)

Frosthardr - Frosthardr (2018) (Unblack with "black and roll"/punk style riffage)

Crimson Moonlight - Divine Darkness (2016) (Brutal, fast Unblack)

Hortor - Dharma Esencia de Impureza (2018) (Longtime Mexican traditional Unblack act - recorded alone by the main man)

Cerimonial Sacred - Christ Worshipers (2015) (Atmospheric/Symphonic Unblack)

Illuminandi - In Via (2010) (Polish Folk Metal)

Extol - Extol (2013) (Progressive Death Metal)

Wytch Hazel - II: Sojourn (2018) (NWOTHM)

The Ceremonial Sacred was pretty good. But I really enjoyed the Hesychast. Will listen to the album tonight/this morning.

The Ceremonial Sacred was pretty good. But I really enjoyed the Hesychast. Will listen to the album tonight/this morning.

Yep, I put it on top in hopes that it would get some listens. Really good album.

Yeah, the CS art is a little over the top (because that's so uncommon in the genre :lol:), but the music is quality. It's two brothers from Brazil.

i foresee a problem

if we had done this shit fifteen years ago people would have kinda-sorta agreed on the list and it would have been obvious to include the new opeth and megadeth and nevermore and whatever garbage it was everyone loved back then

now everyone is well dug into their own little hole with borders others don't generally cross and it's going to be a weird tournament when barely ten albums have more than one vote for inclusion is what i'm saying

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I kind of agree that trying to compile a list based on this thread could take the fun out of the game.

I wonder whether it might just be easier to base it off a rateyourmusic list and just pick out the first 32 releases that seem like they might appeal to people on this forum.

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2010s/g:metal/#results

Just taking the top 32 wouldn't work though as there's clearly things in there that do not fit.

i foresee a problem

if we had done this shit fifteen years ago people would have kinda-sorta agreed on the list and it would have been obvious to include the new opeth and megadeth and nevermore and whatever garbage it was everyone loved back then

now everyone is well dug into their own little hole with borders others don't generally cross and it's going to be a weird tournament when barely ten albums have more than one vote for inclusion is what i'm saying

Yea, I think we would need like a pre tourney just to weed out some of the initial lists---like ellestin said maybe just a second and third endorsements should do it. @ doom, the RYM might be an okay start, but a lot of those albums are just not good enough--[murmururu really :err:] -though i'm glad the doom soundtrack is so high :p- also that leprous album looks fun.

Well we're at 8 with dual endorsements. Dont think we've really brainstormed the matter all too much either. No need to rush, we can slowburn our way to glory.

I would second Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I.

Also what about Nokturnal Mortum - Verity. Not as good as Voice of Steel but still great.

And Havukruuna - Kelle Surut Soi.

Seconding Hallas-Excerpts From A Future Past.

This is some wondrous and soothing tuneage. StaaaaarRider catchy af. More ears need to get on this, pinkage with a tinge of testicularity. Great Reco

Reactions: einride
Seconding Hallas-Excerpts From A Future Past.

This is some wondrous and soothing tuneage. StaaaaarRider catchy af. More ears need to get on this, pinkage with a tinge of testicularity. Great Reco
hey i'm happy to hear you like it, i didn't think anyone would really care about hällas here so i have not made a big stink about them but this is easily one of my most heavily rotated albums the past few years

i think this album is head and shoulders above the rest of the retro-whatever crowd, there's some real meat n taters to the songwriting. unique singer, good production, epic feel. lasts a long time. star rider is the obvious immediate single hit but after many a listen, it's fallen to the back of the pack for me.

they released a new album in 2020 i think it was too, but it's not quite as strong (yet worth listening to)

Reactions: Reign in Acai
If we want to be serious about this tournament, this nomination phase may take AWHILE.

Considering we cant do another like it for 10 years, all the better.

Catchiest Deceased album BY FAR

Last edited: