Nominate Albums for forthcoming Best of 2010-2020 Tourney

this thread is turning into a great base for discovering stuff but I seriously doubt it's going anywhere in terms of the original tournament purpose. Why not just do it like this: everyone gets to propose 5 albums and that's it, listings closed, on to the competition.

I need to revisit that Deceased because their earlier stuff overshadows it. It is good though.

Also listen to Wrathprayer because it's one of those "do I own that disc? well gee golly, i do!" albums that I still know nothing about.

I forgot Dordeduh somehow which is criminally stupid. Probably my #1 from the last decade. Second/third/fourth'd/etc.

Verity needs to be revisited as well. It was a pretty big letdown after The Voice of Steel but that doesn't mean I am justified in ignoring it upon my shelves. EDIT: My standards for them are too high, this is solid 8/10 material and I need to STFU.

I still like the second/third nomination process to get into the final running but this is Jerry's Jam. Maybe he can decide next (Tila) tequila outing?

Last edited:
this thread is turning into a great base for discovering stuff but I seriously doubt it's going anywhere in terms of the original tournament purpose. Why not just do it like this: everyone gets to propose 5 albums and that's it, listings closed, on to the competition.

I like it.

K.I.S.S. - keep it simple, stupid

Well the intial post stated, "keep recos sparse." Adrian followed with 25 albums thereafter. Bless him for it, but yea, thats why the secondary endorsement organically manifested. This is RC, there is no order. Would we have it any other way?

Everyone consolidate your nominations to 5, and lets see what shapes from it.

5 Albums I WANT in the tournament. This may be a better option than self vetting, and endorsement vetting. Who do you want in this tourney that is worthy to compete and make head to heads more kvlt than cardano?

Deceased - Ghostly White
Minenwerfer-Alpenpasse
Black Magick SS -Spectral Ecstacy
Macabre Omen -Gods of War - At War
Ares Kingdom -By the Light of their Destruction

This is too fucking hard to narrow down to the 5 best. I get to 5 and need to add at least 3 more. I get to 8 and that becomes 10, etc.

So I'm going to go with the THREE albums that I listen to absolutely constantly since they were released:

Ihsahn - Arktis.
Acid Witch - Evil Sound Screamers
Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere

I have completely memorized these three albums just like back in the day when you were a teenager and stayed up all night just to play that one brand new release start to finish one....more....time. Fuck I have school/work/life in a few hours but I don't care man holy shit play it again.

Yep. Those are my picks. How I love them so.

Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry
Blood Incantation - Starspawn
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane

^

Could probably swap one or two of these with more personnally impactful albums (like Void of Silence's latest) but I'm drawing the line here.

I'm sticking with:

Spectral Lore - III
Obsequiae - Aria of Vernal Tombs
Mystras - Castles Conquered and Reclaimed
Ildra - Edelland

and adding

Borknagar - True North

No Borkie album has hit me as hard as this one since Quintessence. And that ending song....woah

burzum
hällas
summoning (unless you were serious that we should leave it out because it will obviously win)
tribulation
vemod

no one ever really talks about With Doom We Come
because it's a huge disappointment on every level, unfortunately

it's still summoning, it just doesn't really seem very memorable or inspired

and the mix/mastering is awful

i agree. and not that it's any gauge, but it has a much higher score on MA than OMD.

it actually is tied for 2nd highest score of all the albums. man, who reviews these things.

i agree. and not that it's any gauge, but it has a much higher score on MA than OMD.

it actually is tied for 2nd highest score of all the albums. man, who reviews these things.
metal-archives is weird sometimes. if you look at rateyourmusic, which has A LOT more ratings so it averages out better, it looks like this:

upload_2021-4-9_5-43-6.png

rateyourmusic scores take a little getting used to to read right. due to how scores average out, basically anything that is even remotely passable gets 3.x and it's very hard to crack the 4.x

but basically 3.5 and above is "very good" and 3.2 is "mediocre"

what i'm saying is there's a huge gap between WDWC and Lugburz and the rest of the pack. i agree w/this

i never check that site. looks more accurate.

though i dont understand the massive love for LMHSYF. It's good but i thought it was a disappointment after stronghold, which is top 3 summoning for me. i guess i need to give it another go

i never check that site. looks more accurate.

though i dont understand the massive love for LMHSYF. It's good but i thought it was a disappointment after stronghold, which is top 3 summoning for me. i guess i need to give it another go
i'm 100% in your camp dude, LMHSYF is probably my least favourite of "the pack". it seemed a little lifeless to me, like they bought a new synthesizer and went to a new studio and it sounds a bit more glossy but the songs don't hold as strong (heh) as they did on stronghold

for me its probably

1. stronghold
2. dol guldur
3. old mornings dawn
4. oath bound
5. minas morgul
6. lmhsyf
7. lugburz
8. wdwc

MM and Stronghold were my first ones so those will always be my go to. OMD is next.

I like DG a lot more than I used to. It took me a while to fully understand why everyone rated it so high. Now LMHSYF is in that spot.

Oath Bound is the anomaly. I like some songs...the black speech one, the intro, Beleriand, Menegroth.....but the others do squat for me and Land of the Dead is annoying.

what i'm saying is there's a huge gap between WDWC and Lugburz and the rest of the pack. i agree w/this

same

although I do have a soft spot for With Doom we Cum in spite of said inconsistencies.
It took me years to warm up to Oath Bound but now it's up there. My fave is forever Dol Guldur and let's not forget its satellite, the Nightshade Forests EP