Nominate Albums for forthcoming Best of 2010-2020 Tourney

Oath Bound is the anomaly. I like some songs...the black speech one, the intro, Beleriand, Menegroth.....but the others do squat for me and Land of the Dead is annoying.
yeah it's inconsistent for sure

i like land of the dead a lot but it's really a gimmick song, it just completely rides on the chorus and that's all it has going for it, and it knows it, so it holds back and teases you with it and you sit there just waiting for it to happen

^

Could probably swap one or two of these with more personnally impactful albums (like Void of Silence's latest) but I'm drawing the line here.

Three of those are widely lauded as the creme de la creme of this past decade. Kind of a disservice to you for stepping up and naming them off. Mayhaps we can allot 1-2 personal selections after everyone has chimed in so ye can have a fair shake.

summoning (unless you were serious that we should leave it out because it will obviously win)

On the fence, its literally like J. Playing basketball against kindergarteners. I dont see any album overtaking it if I hit play on OMD for reaffirmation. My capillaries will swell, and Summoning will triumph once more.

Last edited:
Deceased - Ghostly White
Minenwerfer-Alpenpasse
Black Magick SS -Spectral Ecstacy
Macabre Omen -Gods of War - At War
Ares Kingdom -By the Light of their Destruction
Ihsahn - Arktis.
Acid Witch - Evil Sound Screamers
Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere
Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry
Blood Incantation - Starspawn
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane
Spectral Lore - III
Obsequiae - Aria of Vernal Tombs
Mystras - Castles Conquered and Reclaimed
Ildra - Edelland
Borknagar - True North
Hällas - excerpts from a future past
Summoning- Old Mornings Dawn
Tribulation- The Children of the Night
Burzum-Belus
Kayo Dot - Hubardo
Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I
Gris - À l'âme enflammée, l'âme constellée
Vaura - Selenelion
Between The Buried & Me - Parallax II: Future Sequence
Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Leprous - Bilateral
Zebulon Pike - Nostalgia For The Unreal
Vemod-Venter på stormene
Ultra Silvam - the spearwoundsalvation
Inquisition-Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
MGLA-With Hearts Towards None
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - Mardom
Funeral Mist - Hekatomb

We're currently at 22. We can either stop at 32 or push to 64 depending on the interest. If we do push to 64 lets do one bracket at a time, because I do truly want to listen to every album that I have not listened to in proper order. Tourneys of the past were pushed at expeditious speed, and often time I'd half ass my vote in the name of familiarity. I'm not even whole heartedly intimate with my picks ffs. This decade for me has truly been one dominated by pre 2010 albums. Time to rectify that in the name of progress.

I kind of agree that trying to compile a list based on this thread could take the fun out of the game.

I wonder whether it might just be easier to base it off a rateyourmusic list and just pick out the first 32 releases that seem like they might appeal to people on this forum.

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2010s/g:metal/#results

Just taking the top 32 wouldn't work though as there's clearly things in there that do not fit.

Finally took a gander at this. Half of those albums would definitely not belong, while the other half would suffer a trouncing by superior selections omitted from that chart. MGLA, Blood Incantation, and Furia could hold their own though. Lol at DeathShit Omega as number 1. I never GOT that band, and I never will. :puke:

Last edited:
Yeah I don't care what ends up on the list.

I mean, I'd put Marrow of the Spirit and Faustian Echoes well above TSatS but whatever ;)

oh if there's going to be an agalloch album it had better be marrow, which while produced and played poorly is still infinitely better than serpent

Reactions: Ellestin
Deceased - Ghostly White
Minenwerfer-Alpenpasse
Black Magick SS -Spectral Ecstacy
Macabre Omen -Gods of War - At War
Ares Kingdom -By the Light of their Destruction
Ihsahn - Arktis.
Acid Witch - Evil Sound Screamers
Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere
Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry
Blood Incantation - Starspawn
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane
Spectral Lore - III
Obsequiae - Aria of Vernal Tombs
Mystras - Castles Conquered and Reclaimed
Ildra - Edelland
Borknagar - True North
Hällas - excerpts from a future past
Summoning- Old Mornings Dawn
Tribulation- The Children of the Night
Burzum-Belus
best check yoself, y'all missed vemod

Reactions: Reign in Acai
Sorry, had it copied but forgot to paste.

Anyhow, this entire Agalloch banter is giving me a cheshire grin. Nad, who only picked three dearest albums should have his entry submitted. The prevailing opinion of the forum has already doomed it as bracket fodder before it began.

@NAD :lol:

I put it on in the car for my commute last night. Started out pretty well, but drifted towards mediocrity. Will give it a few more spins to figure out why Nad love's it so.

There is one dude ONE DUDE besides me that loves The Serpent and the Sphere. He gave it an 100% rating on Metal Archives a few years ago and I said FINALLY SOMEONE UNNDERSTTAAAAANDS.

Marrow of the Spirit is the only sub-par Agalloch album for me. I thought they were done at that point, but then cranked out two winners afterwards.

My five would be:

Kayo Dot - Hubardo
Spectral Lore - III
Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I
Gris - À l'âme enflammée, l'âme constellée
Vaura - Selenelion

Reactions: Ellestin
Cursory first re-listen in 5 years.

Starts out like Agalloch of old with great opening track. Seems like they recaptured their old feel, while not being a complete facsimile. The fourth song Dark Matter Gods brings it back to earth with a vexing chorus. Far too cheerful for my sensibilities. The remainder of the album upticks in stride, but never recaptures the mood of the opener.

Agalloch has its work cut out for them if this is what is being entered into this cog of death. One has to figure that their recent output would have to match or outdo The Mantle/Pale Folklore. Its in a tooth n nail debate with Marrow. As the grimacing apes would say, "not a good look."

We could enter both albums in tourney and have them face off in rd1 or do a mini face off, with the winner advancing into the tourney. Mayhaps a couple spins can change the collective opinion?

This is gonna be tough to work out as we have pretty varying tastes. Most of my shit, you guys would probably hate too. lol Whatever it gets whittled down to, I guess I/we can give a proper listen to to make a fair judgement and vote accordingly. I've probably not listened to 90% of the shit you guys are posting as I veered away from most BM/DM 10 years ago.

Between The Buried & Me - Parallax II: Future Sequence
Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Leprous - Bilateral
Vaura - Selenelion
Zebulon Pike - Nostalgia For The Unreal

Those are my 5, I guess.

I just want to make a prediction that the Big Weenur is going to be one of the following three:

Old Mornings Dawn
Dar de duh
Selenelion

Dordeduh continued a legacy and matched its glory. Vaura did something that I've never heard before. And that Summoning album... I mean how many bands peak in their 20th year?