Nominate Albums for forthcoming Best of 2010-2020 Tourney

here is a list of the average RateYourMusic scores for each of the albums. i don't know what anyone is supposed to do with this information, i was just curious and bored and i like looking at numbers. anything above about 3.5 could generally be considered "very good" so most of these do alright in the eyes of the unwashed masses.

i guess that one thing ya might get out of this data is that if everyone else agrees something is really fucking great then you might want to give it two chances instead of one even if it doesn't stick the first time. personally i'd honestly be less likely to waste my time on giving a 2.80 album a second shot if my first instinct is that it's akin to belle delphine's urinary discharge.

* i find it a little bit funny that daughters is the only distinctly non-metal album on the list but is the highest ranked (okay maybe anathema is also very not metal but they get the grandfather treatment as heavy metallers in emeritus because of the silent fucking enigma)

* cultes des ghoules (who?) is the only band to somehow sneak two albums into the proceedings. i thought i had snuck the latest alcest in there but i guess it narrowly missed nomination. imo "spiritual instinct" is better than "ecailles" and i might be alone in the world in thinking that but that's ok.

Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want 3.91
Elder - Dead Roots Stirring 3.75
Blood Incantation - Starspawn 3.73
Vektor-Outer Isolation 3.71
MGLA-With Hearts Towards None 3.71
Leprous - Bilateral 3.71
Ruins of beverast - Exuvia 3.68
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall 3.68
Hällas - excerpts from a future past 3.67
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance 3.65
Macabre Omen -Gods of War - At War 3.64
Hortor - Dharma Esencia de Impureza 3.64
Gris - À l'âme enflammée, l'âme constellée 3.64
Eternal Champion - Armor of Ire 3.64
Anathema - WeatherSystems 3.64
Spectral Lore - III 3.63
Alcest - Écailles de Lune 3.63
Summoning- Old Mornings Dawn 3.62
Inquisition-Obscure Verses for the Multiverse 3.62
SubRosa-No Help For the Mighty Ones 3.61
Kayo Dot - Hubardo 3.61
Immolation - Majesty and Decay 3.61
Havukruuna - Kelle Surut Soi 3.61
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane 3.61
Between The Buried & Me - Parallax II: Future Sequence 3.59
Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I 3.58
StarGazer - A Merging tothe Boundless 3.57
Dordeduh - Dar de duh 3.57
Borknagar - True North 3.57
VOLA - Applause of aDistant Crowd 3.55
Nokturnal Mortum - Verity 3.54
Tribulation- The Children of the Night 3.53
Vemod-Venter på stormene 3.52
Defeated Sanity - Passages Into Deformity 3.52
Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia 3.52
Taake - Noregs Vaapen 3.51
Obsequiae - Aria of Vernal Tombs 3.51
Ultra Silvam - the spearwoundsalvation 3.49
Ihsahn - Arktis. 3.48
Funeral Mist - Hekatomb 3.48
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry 3.48
Ildra - Edelland 3.47
Minenwerfer-Alpenpasse 3.46
Nile - Vile NiloticRites 3.45
Ludicra - TheTenant 3.44
Sabbat - Sabbatrinity 3.42
Wytch Hazel - II 3.41
Mystras - Castles Conquered and Reclaimed 3.41
Lake of Blood - Omnipotens Tyrannus 3.39
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - Mardom 3.39
Skald in Veum - Stridslysten 3.38
Black Magick SS -Spectral Ecstacy 3.35
Cultes des Ghoules - Coven, or Evil Ways Instead of Love 3.33
Slechtvalk - A Forlorn Throne 3.32
Archgoat - The ApocalypticTriumphator 3.32
Ofermod -Thaumiel 3.28
Ash Borer - The Irrepassable Gate 3.28
Acid Witch - Evil Sound Screamers 3.23
Panegyrist - Hierurgy 3.21
Burzum-Belus 3.21
Hesychast - Ageless 3.18
Pathology - The Time of GreatPurification 3.15
Zebulon Pike - Nostalgia For The Unreal 2.91
Vaura - Selenelion 2.86

Last edited:
I'm checking out Eternal Champion this morning, although not even that album, the new one. So that's not a very good start.

I started listening to the BTB&M although the vocals kind of annoyed me. May revisit.

Daughters being in here is pretty much in tribute to Nate the Great. It's some fuckin' weird shit and I like it, but quite a rare listen for me.

Vaura being rated 2.86 is absurd. The power of oddriffs compel you. The power of oddriffs compel you!!

Reactions: Krilons Resa
i was listening to some death metal album from the list the other day and couldnt make it through. So just dont take it personal when i say your tastes are shit.

i fully expect the same from yall. But I can tell you, once the albums are paired up, I will give each one my attention. Right now, I have little motivation to listen to crap. :lol:

Silly Question:

Do y'all desire new sounding shit for the 2010s? Because when I see retro death metal acts with Seagrave-esque covers by kids born in 2001 I say GOOD FOR YOU GUYS because they are doing music right, but I don't really want to listen. If I want that sound (and I do), I just buy a '90s album that I haven't yet heard.

(Acid Witch sounds straight out of 1984 so that's an exception for me. It's like if Celtic Frost got high as fuck and only watched John Carpenter films. Anyhow.)

I say this because things like Vaura, Ihshan, and Dordeduh sound very modern to me. And not in a bad way, for a change. Which is exactly what I want when I buy a new album in this current accursed era.

Do y'all desire new sounding shit for the 2010s? Because when I see retro death metal acts with Seagrave-esque covers by kids born in 2001 I say GOOD FOR YOU GUYS because they are doing music right, but I don't really want to listen. If I want that sound (and I do), I just buy a '90s album that I haven't yet heard.
agree 100%

i've written novels in this forum before about these topics but yeah, do something new or get the fuck out

THAT BEING SAID, there is a category of bands i like that just have refused to age, that aren't really retro, they just never stopped doing the thing they do. and i do like that when it's quality music. examples from this tournament: summoning, macabre omen, sabbat

Silly Question:

(Acid Witch sounds straight out of 1984 so that's an exception for me. It's like if Celtic Frost got high as fuck and only watched John Carpenter films. Anyhow.)

I say this because things like Vaura, Ihshan, and Dordeduh sound very modern to me. And not in a bad way, for a change. Which is exactly what I want when I buy a new album in this current accursed era.

if it's a band i love, i buy their new one even if theyve become ac/dc

but i have no desire to listen to a band that heard bolt thrower after bolt thrower broke up and now wants to be 2021boltthrower because bolt thrower rules all. I will just listen to Bolt Thrower

i think that is why i investigated I, Voidhanger records. their shit sounds like no one else. it doesnt always hit the mark, but it's adventurous, and that counts for a lot these days

Well, shit...maybe it's time for me to actually check out Dorde-DUH! I, admittedly, fully discriminate against this band because of the name.

upon the second song i immediately thought of pre-chill out Swans (think Children of God) and Henry Rollins

Dude, that Daughters album is 100% early SWANS mixed with some Jesus Lizard.

i think that is why i investigated I, Voidhanger records. their shit sounds like no one else. it doesnt always hit the mark, but it's adventurous, and that counts for a lot these days

Indeed.

Yeah I've still not listened to Dordeduh.

That Macabre Omen album is ridiculously good. Hadn't heard it before this thread. I feel this one could go far in the tournament.

It was definitely a good idea compiling the list some time before starting the tournament.

macabre omen is my fav so far of the few i've heard (and not nominated myself) too

you guys would BOTH probably like dordeduh. it's progressive, raw, folky, metal, epic, inventive, atmospheric, modern, classic, it's got everything. get some dordeduh in your lives. also i'm assured the band name is very cool and deep in romanian.