Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

I'm pretty sure that when thay say 30 Mbps they mean a stable one per one device, not a "household 30 Mbps with god knows how many users".

When it comes to graphics quality, it's working same as Netflix movies - it is streaming video and audio, so your graphic card doesn't do any calculation regarding live time rendering and physics, your hardware needs to worry only about displaying it. Obviously Google won't overcome your monitor parameters, but that's not really the bottleneck of playing on any device.

Still I need the devices to play it. Router. 4k tv. Unless I want to play with really low rates.

What's important for good networking is the internet network but also a device that's capable enough for that network. If I have 300mbps and a shit computer my networking is going ti be shit.

It's a two side problem.

When online your device does constantly two things. It uploads data, usually requests, and it downloads data. All of the time. Now imagine how many requests will be needed for online games with those characteristics. Lots of requests. Oeople will probably need to increase their upload rates. And a very giod router.

Even with a download dats of 300mbps I sometimes have low quality in netflix. Because the network is not always stable on both sides.

So if someone wants to play at 30mbos that person will need more than that on upload and download rates. Because the hime network is never used by one device and one software.

Nowadays even mediocre mobile phones have good networking hardware. TP Link Adapter for 5Ghz Wifi with IEEE 802.11n is worth 15 €. Average router also is fine, as long as it is not any cheap plastic shit, but any Linksys will do.
As for the upload... What data are you thinking of uploading? It's just keyboard + mouse input. I made C# + Java application for sending accelerometer data from mobile phone through WiFi via TCP, which is much slower in comparison to UDP... easy to say, the delay in sending the packages is too small to see it with bare eye. And it is coming from your mobile phone movement, so the delay between each sent package is like 3 - 5 ms, with three parameters being sent. It is not about big upload, it is latency that might be the issue. Trust me, you won't be able to generate 1 megabit of data per one second, not to even mention 30, even with pressing all keys and mousebuttons at once.

What the revolution is supposed to be about, that you can play on "any device", not meaning your grandma's calculator, but an average today's smartphone. And an average internet user probably has something like router, so it's hardly a constraint.

The data that you send are your actions and requests regarding the videogame. Other people's actions. Ai actions. Movement. Environment. Light. Cinematic. All of this is requested, meaning that your device shall ask for the info.

As for data. With a 300 mbps connection, if I download something over 3 or 4mbps the navigation slows by a lot. It's a pain in the ass just loading a web page. Why? Because of the data running in both directions.

The data that you send are your actions and requests regarding the videogame. Other people's actions. Ai actions. Movement. Environment. Light. Cinematic. All of this is requested, meaning that your device shall ask for the info.
Umm... no?
When watching movies you don't upload data requesting light, actors movement, environmental poligons. You download data. It's yours download vs provider's upload. The only way you can interact is through your keyboard - you press "A" key to move left, their server receives it, moves character to the left and sends you the image back. It wouldn't really make any sense otherwise. This is why you can get back 4K image without using your GPU anyhow other than rendering plain image.
This is already working with OnLive or Nvidia's Geforce NOW.

As for data. With a 300 mbps connection, if I download something over 3 or 4mbps the navigation slows by a lot. It's a pain in the ass just loading a web page. Why? Because of the data running in both directions.
Depends on the upload rate. If it's near max, sure, if not... I suggest getting a better router setup, because something's wrong. I have 120 Mbps dl with 10 Mbps up, running on 5Ghz frequency WiFi and I easily get 5/6 MB/s dl, ~0.8 MB/s up without ruining my other actions on web. Is your speed on speed network tests (http://www.speedtest.net/ e.g.) anywhere close to 300 Mbps?

When watching movies you don't upload data requesting light, actors movement, environmental poligons.
We're talking about games. Anyway I'm not sure. Since Netflix quality sometimes vary during the reproduction. That means that there's some kind if dialogue between my machine and their servers.

Depends on the upload rate. If it's near max, sure, if not... I suggest getting a better router setup, because something's wrong. I have 120 Mbps dl with 10 Mbps up, running on 5Ghz frequency WiFi and I easily get 5/6 MB/s dl, ~0.8 MB/s up without ruining my other actions on web. Is your speed on speed network tests (http://www.speedtest.net/ e.g.) anywhere close to 300 Mbps?

The router is from my network provider and it's shit. They have a better router but I won't pay for its use. I prefer to buy one myself.

My house has also a difficult structure. So wifi is a no no.

We're talking about games. Anyway I'm not sure. Since Netflix quality sometimes vary during the reproduction. That means that there's some kind if dialogue between my machine and their servers.
Just trust me on this one, it's all about sending the display along with audio, it's super easy to reproduce at home. As for Netflix, they send chunks of data, so if their server is having a bad time the upload is worse, so your browser might request to get the data in 360p quality, so the stream doesn't stop. It's about super small package you might be sending, also, easy to check, but it's nowhere near your limit.

The router is from my network provider and it's shit. They have a better router but I won't pay for its use. I prefer to buy one myself.

My house has also a difficult structure. So wifi is a no no.
Ok, provider's routers tend to be shit. But house structure shouldn't be a big deal, perhaps a matter of a couple repeaters, which are super cheap (~20€). As long as you don't have your router in your basement six feet under.

It's a problem of walls and distances. I somved it by buying 20 meters ethernet cable cat6.

I've had 100/100 connection for over 10 years and I've never really have a problem with doing anything. The standard is mostly 1000 down nowadays but I haven't felt the need for it yet at all, I never have problem watching several streams in 720/1080 while downloading or doing other stuff on the side. Swedish internet is insanely good though, I think we're top2 in the world or something like that. It's always nice when you play online, when you have 5ms while you see all the russians or eastern europeans having like 30-50ms pings.

If I want symmetrical conecction I have to pay an extra for it and I refuse. Optical fiber is symmetrical per se. They're just slowing it on purpose just to win money.

91cnyc.jpg

No internet connection needed for these beauties :cool:

I think they are going one generation too early into the whole streaming thing. It's going to be barely functioning for a majority of people, forget any serious competitive multiplayer. Impressive tech though.

Luckily for me I stopped giving a fuck about video games couple of years ago. There are maybe one or two titles max yearly that look appealing. Getting older sucks.

I think they are going one generation too early into the whole streaming thing. It's going to be barely functioning for a majority of people, forget any serious competitive multiplayer. Impressive tech though.

Luckily for me I stopped giving a fuck about video games couple of years ago. There are maybe one or two titles max yearly that look appealing. Getting older sucks.
It's important that some people, like me, want to keep their own games. Playing in the cloud guarantees the opposite

I do like owning physical copies of games. Even when the PS Store is long gone I'll still be able to play the games I have on disc. My digital downloads will be dead - and I'll have no way to claim them back, as you technically don't own a digital game, you're just leasing it.

Reactions: eochaid
I’m the same way. We got a Switch though and the disks are so small it’s crazy to think how fast my family could lose a ton of money. But I’m still a believer in physical copies as well.

Reactions: eochaid
Nice! Not colossal, but pretty good.
I absolutely love it, though I'm still to collect all the hints to their previous work + make sense of all the puzzles from this phenomenal music video.
And to think they could just have Patrick Ullaleus and some parkour FPP video...

It's a real earworm, though maybe not as good in terms of song ideas as some of their classics, connected with simple yet great lyrics and this mindblowing music video, the whole effort is one of their best.

And though I still love "We Will Remember", "Deutschland" is how you remind audience of your past glorious songs.