Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

Really putting the "Heat" in Heathrow, huh.

Bad joke but I had to.

If I wasn't melting I'd have chuckled. Don't think it went below 25c last night. Tonight it'll still be 23c at 2am.

As far as most Brits over 40 are concerned though it's

Luv the sun
Luv barbeques
Luv roasting my skin
Luv Liz

'Ate scientists
'Ate snowflakes
'Ate skin cancer prevention
'Ate climate activists

Simple as

upload_2022-7-19_18-2-16.png

Bit there's cold in South Africa so climate change is a hoax. And yes, this was seriously said in twitter.

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2022/07/22/killzone-shadow-mercenary-rigs-servers-to-be-shut-down/

Sad times, RIGs was the first VR game I really loved and the only game I actually got seriously into online gaming for. Nothing before and nothing since. This game was and is just so fucking cool. Pilot a mech, aim to fuck up other mechs. 3 v 3, may the best team win. Good shit, but sadly ahead of its time. Deserved better.

Nonetheless yesterday I noticed somebody on Twitch streaming RIGs. This is pretty rare, but now that the server shutdown has been announced trophy completionists are mobilising before online capability is gone. Anyway, I figured I'd jump on for a game with the dude. Why not. So I play against him and his friend, and frankly I fucking wreck them. They are just bad at the game and I'm a mythical RIGs OG, so it was only ever going to end in annihilation. People fear the OGs for a reason. We were and always will be ruthless af.

Anywho, after this match I would have just left the guy alone as he clearly sucked at the game and wasn't a challenge for me. I'd question trying to get trophy completion on a game you suck at, but w/e. This guy did not take to getting utterly ruined paticularly well though. Initially just the usual manbaby stuff of the game being broken, unfair, etc, but then moves onto suggesting I'm cheating, using hacks and making sarcastic comments about myself being "good at a game that's being shut down, really cool dude". Well, as a RIGs OG I couldn't really let those comments slide. Shut down it may be, but it beats the shit out of other franchises that have run 3-4x times as long without even half of the awesome factor.

So I decide I have no choice but to troll this guy. I follow him into every match he attempts to connect to. He keeps quitting out, but I just quit out right along with him and connect at the same time he connects on his stream. He tries waiting a while and then connecting, but I just wait the same amount of time. Eventually he gives up and tries to play another match against me, but again gets hammered. At this point I'm just embarrassing him on purpose. He's just getting more wound up.

Next he comes up with an ingenious idea - he'll quit out mid-way through a match instead of at the start. In his own words, I "won't have the time" to catch up with him if he does that. He finds out in the next match that I did, in fact, have time, as I'm on the opposing team again. At this point the headset starts to literally shake as the dude begins breathing heavily, the stream cuts off as he makes an "uurrrggghhhhh" sound and then he decides to play single player instead :D I then went to volunteer at the usual animal charity, so two good deeds in succession.

Cool story bro, etc... point is I'll miss RIGs online, as there was always fun to be had on the days when more than 1 person was on the server. Which admittedly was not very often since 2018. It's kind of a miracle the server lasted this long, honestly.

Just listened to Soilwork's latest single, 'Dreams of Nowhere'... strange song. Some parts that sound like they've been ripped from a Dimmu Borgir album, there's definitely a black metal vibe going on at various points of the song. Chorus is typical Soilwork, but pretty good. Vocals are mostly clean, with a smattering of harsh vocals scattered throughout. The structure of this track is pretty weird, but I prefer it to the first two singles. Don't think it's on YT yet but is on spotify, can also be listened to here:

https://wallofsoundau.com/2022/07/15/soilwork-unearth-ultimate-tune-dream-of-nowhere/

The first single was peak mediocrity. I've talked way too much about the second single already and how the shifting of one semitone completely fucked up the sound of an actually good song from somewhat bluesy and minor key to standard Soilwork bullshit. I actually really like the newest single though, it feels really fresh for them. I wish they'd add more of the proggy sound that A Whisp's title track had.

I've been on a Soilwork kick lately, now that I see you discussing them. It helps that I was never super seriously into the band so I thankfully never got to romanticize them to the degree I did with In Flames, so I never really minded their stylistic changes and somehow managed to enjoy most of their releases. Sworn to a Great Divide is an album I don't really listen to often but generally speaking I don't mind it. I can understand the dryness of the guitar tone that might be irking some but honestly it's still light years ahead of ASOP, ASOP remains quite possibly the worst modern metal guitar production that I've heard to this day. I think my favorite is the bonus track.

The new single is pretty good, I don't find the black metal guitar parts unorthodox for their current style. Chorus is kickass, I appreciate Bjorn still trying to figure out new melodies without repeating himself too much. That being said, I find the outro of the song to be cheap and quite cheesy. And same goes for video, at this point they have to be intentionally making shitty music videos for the sake of tradition only.
Since The Living Infinite and onwards they explored virtually every musical direction there was. They went into the proggy side, softer side, AOR/NFO direction with the previous album. At this point they could put a disco beat right after a black metal riff and it would still sound like Soilwork. If there is one thing I miss about their older sound, it's the prominent keyboards circa Natural Born Chaos era. Pure keyboard melodies that fit the music and create a whole atmosphere for the riffs to sit in. Later albums (Stabbing the drama) had too much sample stuff, not unlike In Flames, and the proggier recent albums have too much string work, both of which I find extremely unappealing. Dude is a kickass player and is a very underrated aspect of the band's sound. I would put him right up there with Evergrey's keyboard player in terms of how vital their role is.

"Your Beloved Scapegoat", "Light Discovering Darkness", and "Martyr" are the only songs I ever go back to off that album. They're legitimately awesome in a sea of... Honestly dogshit Soilwork songs.

I'll agree there. I haven't completely gotten into Natural Born Chaos quite yet, just a handful of the songs from it, and I really like most of what I heard. I think Devin Townsend's production seriously saves the album from being a nightmare of either simple groove riffs with quiet keyboard (Which I wouldn't have minded, as I fucking love Stabbing the Drama, though I guess the simple sound works much better there), or it would've been way too much keyboard to the point of annoyance. As weird as it is to say, I was terrified going into Stabbing the Drama recently, but it made me a legitimate Soilwork fan beyond just Verkligheten and the first two albums. I can't say I ever remember disliking any of the strings in modern Soilwork songs (Then again, I love strings), but I can understand that. I just want them to break out of their shell, as it feels like that's been rather difficult for them to do since Sworn to a Great Divide (Or even Figure Number Five, which I actually really liked).

Last edited:
Reactions: drawntoblack
:cry: ... I liked Overgivenheten

I mean, it was good, but I dunno. You take away the acoustic guitar and banjo, and you kinda just have the standard Soilwork fare. The chorus especially is really nice, but that's to be expected. With everything post Stabbing the Drama, I want something other than what the band typically delivers.

It's really the chorus that got me. I love that chorus. And the intro is good. But I hear what you're saying.

Completely understandable, it's the very same here. I guess I just want a little bit more out of modern Soilwork since we already have incredible choruses in fucking spades.

A shame my friend, he has the talent but I just don't think he has the mentality anymore.

True words mate. I read something on a Turkish forum which said, he didnt quit football but football quit him a long time ago. Sad but truth :D

Pretty much... he's kind of like a more naturally gifted Jack Wilshere. All of the tools but none of the application.

Hadn't listened to this much until I heard them play it at Wacken last night. Not sure how I slept on this one, it's fantastic. Powerwolf are undoubtedly up there with the absolute best of modern power metal.

I don't know why I don't like Powerwolf, but I don't. It's not an issue of not liking power metal or anything like that, I just don't feel it with them. It might be their vocalist.