Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

Giving it a second go.

1. Dark Tranquillity - I, Deception (2002): Pretty cool song, I really need to listen to the rest of Damage Done. I loved the couple of songs I've listened to so far.
2. The Night Flight Orchestra - Divinyls (2020): I haven't listened to much NFO, but I fucking love this song. More 80s than the 80s in a way that takes the best of modern Soilwork and runs with it.
3. In Flames - Burn (Arcade Version) (2020): ... Not the In Flames song I expected to get here.
4. SHAED - Trampoline (2018): I'll be honest, I may hate most modern pop, but there's something about this song I absolutely love. The vocals and instrumentals really work for me, and I still dream of someday crafting a shoegaze version of it.
5. Blood Stain Child - Forever Free (2011): This is one of the only songs I like from this album. It leaned way too far away from metal for me, and while it was understandable why the production would lean more into the EDM side, the guitars in particular are way too far back in the mix on the album. That being said, this song is great.
6. Deafheaven - Windows (2013): I love interludes, and I absolutely love this one. I think Sunbather's a bit overrated, pretty much being heralded as the Loveless of blackgaze, but it's still pretty good.
7. In Flames - Only For the Weak (2000): LET'S FUCKING GO!
8. In Flames - Deep Inside (Arcade Version) (2020): At this point, I think the playlist's trying to overcompensate for no In Flames last time.
9. Imaginary Flying Machines, Destrage, Yoko Hallelujah - Ponyo On The Cliff (2011): I don't care for weeb shit nor most of the songs on this album, but this one was pretty fun.
10. In Flames - Drained (2016): Why the fuck is it just In Flames back to back? I'm not complaining, but goddamn. But yeah, this is one of the only objectively great songs off of Battles. I don't care what anyone else says, I fucking love this song.

You got a lot of shitty In Flames songs there.:D I actually really like The Night Flight Orchestra. Also Deafheaven... semi-local boys.

Yes it's basically the modern style of FF combat with some minor changes. One of the things I loved about Persona 5 was that in a lot of ways it felt like an old school JRPG, and a lot of that came from the turn-based combat system, which for me at least was a lot of fun despite people claiming it's outdated. I'd understand that viewpoint if modern combat systems were an improvement, but are they really? Don't get me wrong, they are more action-orientated and simulate 'real' fighting a lot more faithfully... but it's not like I was ever playing older RPGs like "man, great game, but this combat system is so dumb and unrealistic. Smh at this idiocy". The system just needed refining as time went on, which P5 did to great success, proving that type of combat system is still perfectly plausible and playable if there's enough motivation to make it interesting visually.

Agreed completely. I just really like turn-based combat. Persona 5 was an incredibly fun game.

10 more...

Got an In Flames heavy batch. Also, Winamp really likes Machine Head apparently. They've been in every one I've done so far.

Metallica - "For Whom the Bell Tolls" -- a classic, not much else to say.
Kamelot - "Abandoned" -- used to love Kamelot. I lost interest once Roy left.
In Flames - "Leeches" -- eh. Not one of my favorites.
Shadow of Intent - "The Prelude to Bereavement" -- one of my favorite modern bands. Not really a deathcore band anymore, just really good symphonic death metal.
Symphony X - "Incantations of the Apprentice" -- Russell Allen is amazing.
Soilwork - "Sadistic Lullabye" -- classic Soilwork, always good.
In Flames - "Wayfaerer" -- good instrumental piece. Lot of nice melodies in this one.
In Flames - "Transparent" -- this should be deleted. Immediately.
Machine Head - "Do or Die" -- modern MH is alright. I have pretty much everything they've ever done.
A Day to Remember - "Your Way with Words is Through Silence" -- could take or leave this one. ADTR do have some pretty good songs though.

Reactions: Xpyro125
You got a lot of shitty In Flames songs there.:D I actually really like The Night Flight Orchestra. Also Deafheaven... semi-local boys.

Agreed completely. I just really like turn-based combat. Persona 5 was an incredibly fun game.

10 more...

Got an In Flames heavy batch. Also, Winamp really likes Machine Head apparently. They've been in every one I've done so far.

Metallica - "For Whom the Bell Tolls" -- a classic, not much else to say.
Kamelot - "Abandoned" -- used to love Kamelot. I lost interest once Roy left.
In Flames - "Leeches" -- eh. Not one of my favorites.
Shadow of Intent - "The Prelude to Bereavement" -- one of my favorite modern bands. Not really a deathcore band anymore, just really good symphonic death metal.
Symphony X - "Incantations of the Apprentice" -- Russell Allen is amazing.
Soilwork - "Sadistic Lullabye" -- classic Soilwork, always good.
In Flames - "Wayfaerer" -- good instrumental piece. Lot of nice melodies in this one.
In Flames - "Transparent" -- this should be deleted. Immediately.
Machine Head - "Do or Die" -- modern MH is alright. I have pretty much everything they've ever done.
A Day to Remember - "Your Way with Words is Through Silence" -- could take or leave this one. ADTR do have some pretty good songs though.

Damn, "Leeches" and "Transparent" are two of my favorite mid-era IF songs. Understandable enough though.

Holy fuck, he totally screwed his voice. What a shame. I wonder what our Anders hate crew would say if Anders sounded like this. :D

I liked the Arcade versions of the ITM tracks. Transparent is one of those songs I should dislike, but I don't. I actually like it a lot... just has that 'Reroute' vibe to it, even with the different guitar tuning. Leeches I liked a lot more back in the day... I maybe overplayed it somewhat, and whilst I do still like it, it's not one I go back too very often.

Reactions: Xpyro125

Holy fuck, he totally screwed his voice. What a shame. I wonder what our Anders hate crew would say if Anders sounded like this. :D

I've literally been saying since ATG's 2014 return that Lindberg's voice is destroyed. It's definitely gotten a lot worse in the past couple of years though. It was funny to see people fawning over The Nightmare of Being... it's like, come on, listen to him. He sounds like a wheezing chain smoker briefly allowed off a ventilator to record vocals. It's fucking awful. Anybody who makes an excuse for the vocals on The Nightmare of Being has no right to criticise Anders, because Anders sounds far better than Lindberg at this point in time.

However, I have made it clear I think both sound like shit so I'm good :D

I He sounds like a wheezing chain smoker briefly allowed off a ventilator to record vocals. It's fucking awful.

That's a funny way to put it, accurate call. :D :D Although I don't like his vocals, Stanne's live vocals are pretty good too. I watched a couple of THE live videos and he's sounds good, really close to the studio. But still no Anders. :D

To be honest he didn't sound much better live back in the 90s either if you bother to check the live recordings from back then.

Yeah I did after seeing your messages. I checked '96, he still has some fuck ups but far better than how he sounds now (reasonably).

While we mentioning ATG, I found some instrumental work from old ATG member Anders Björler. I listened this piece of work while it was a new release and I just came across to it while listening ATG performances. It's pretty cool, chill type of music.

I liked the Arcade versions of the ITM tracks. Transparent is one of those songs I should dislike, but I don't. I actually like it a lot... just has that 'Reroute' vibe to it, even with the different guitar tuning. Leeches I liked a lot more back in the day... I maybe overplayed it somewhat, and whilst I do still like it, it's not one I go back too very often.

I really like the arcade versions as well. I used to have the issue of them more or less seemingly making wMatteo stop making his own 8-bit versions, but thankfully, that issue's been resolved. He just did the entirety of ITM last year, thankfully.

"Leeches" is a song I really came to appreciate after listening to the live versions. Something about the way he growls "spit me out" is so fucking awesome, and the lyrics are fantastic too.

I've literally been saying since ATG's 2014 return that Lindberg's voice is destroyed. It's definitely gotten a lot worse in the past couple of years though. It was funny to see people fawning over The Nightmare of Being... it's like, come on, listen to him. He sounds like a wheezing chain smoker briefly allowed off a ventilator to record vocals. It's fucking awful. Anybody who makes an excuse for the vocals on The Nightmare of Being has no right to criticise Anders, because Anders sounds far better than Lindberg at this point in time.

However, I have made it clear I think both sound like shit so I'm good :D

I like his performances in the 90s well enough (I really respect just using the first takes in Slaughter of the Soul to get a rawer, more imperfect feel), though they needed more fullness to me. I feel like his vocals absolutely got that after the reunion, and I absolutely love the 2014 and 2016 albums vocally, though The Nightmare of Being has fucking awful vocals. I don't know what happened, but they're just fucking gone.

Gotta remember that these dudes are almost 50. Thirty-something years of doing harsh vocals takes its toll. Stanne sounded surprisingly not-good at the Gamescom performance last week.

Yeah, but dude, Lindberg even sounds awful in studio now. If you can't do it on album anymore then you're done. Honestly considering how raw his shrieks have always been he's done well to get this far. I think he needs to stop.

Last edited:
Well. Lidberg is not screaming anymore. He's just lowering down his voice and doing some kind of whispers while pretending that he's screaming. At this point, he shouldn't be singing anymore.

Speaking of bad vocals, here's a good example of it. Mikael from Opeth with his disaster performance. You can hear the backing vocals at 0:42 which is way more better. :D

I've always had no interest in Opeth, honestly, so I have no idea if that's a one off or normal nowadays. I saw them around 15 years ago at a festival and it was one of the most boring live performances I've ever seen. From memory vocals and everything else was on point, but the band literally did nothing but stand there the entire time. Just zero energy.