Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

The only Gothic Metal band that I might listen to regularly is Sentenced. And I think they're more Gothic because of the themes than because of the music.

About Charon, I remember liking a few songs like 15 years ago or so. But, GM is not my thing at all.

Sentenced is one of my favorite bands of all time. I love the mixture of dark and black humor in it. Same reason I like Type O so much. Charon is fine. I prefer his vocals on the first Poisonblack album though.

At the time I was in New Haven, Connecticut. Lovely place, but it was in the middle of a ridiculous heatwave so time outside was limited. We found other things to occupy our time anyway... thank goodness for most US homes having air conditioning :D

Since then I've been to Florida twice, and most recently LA back in 2013. Always enjoyed visiting the States, although the flags hanging outside all of the houses gave me a chuckle. England doesn't quite have that same sense of patriotism. Also in New Haven every house legally was entitled to a large plot of land, so they all had huge gardens, which was impressive. A lot of swimming pools too.

I haven't been to Connecticut. I did look at houses online to potentially buy though. I ended up settling on Colorado. Big mistake. I only lived there for 6 months and then sold my house and moved back to California. I've been to LA a ton. I like visiting LA, but it suffers from the same problem that most of California suffers from, which is how expensive it is. I've flown down for shows and things like that though and I always have a good time there.

I am a strict 'no flags' kind of guy when it comes to my house. Not that I hate America or anything, but I just don't see the need to constantly advertise that 'USA is so great, all hail America" every single minute of every day. It's obnoxious. It's part of the reason I couldn't tolerate Colorado. Beautiful state but it's full of gun-toting rednecks that wear American flag shirts and cowboy boots every day. It's too 'white' and not very tolerant of anything or anyone else. But I will say that it was quite clean and there was practically no crime where I bought my house. I woke up every day and could stand on my back porch with a great view of the Rocky Mountains. Still, not enough to keep me there.

It's currently 95F here (or 35C) and I'm very happy I have air conditioning. I hope to make it over to the UK one of these days. I really, really want to visit.

Next random 10...

Thompson Twins - Doctor! Doctor!

Pain of Salvation - Disco Queen (wtf is this :D)

Shuki Levy - Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (Opening Theme, Extended)

Fall Out Boy - This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race

Into Eternity - Splintered Visions

In Flames - Dead Eternity

Chieco Kawabe - Sakura Kiss

Nevermore - The Heart Collector

Hi-sCoool! Seha Girls - セハガガガンバッちゃう!!

ABC - Ask a Thousand Times

That is quite the random assortment of tunes there. The Heart Collector is an excellent song. Let's see what I get...

Mercenary - "Obscure Indiscretion"
Metallica - "Blitzkrieg"
Iron Maiden - "If Eternity Should Fail"
Blind Guardian - The Script for My Requiem (demo)"
Polaris - "Dusk to Day"
Children of Bodom - "All Twisted"
Fozzy - "The Prisoner"
Insomnium - "Wail of the North"
Machine Head - "Devil with the King's Card"
Volbeat - "Doc Holliday (live)"

How I haven't gotten a single In Flames or Iced Earth track is beyond me.

Reactions: eochaid
I remember years ago on the Dark Tranquillity UM forum, some user said In Flames had become a commercial act "like RIHANNA and SENTENCED!!!!!!!!!!!"

Let me get in on this randomization thing...

At the Gates - "Slaughter of the Soul"
Riverside - "The Curtain Falls"
Soilwork - "Neurotica Rampage"
Apartment 26 - "Axel Off"
The Paper Kites - "The Mortal Boy King"
Yes - "Leave It"
Theatre of Tragedy - "Disintegration"
Sybreed - "Decoy"
Windir - "Heidra" (the last minute of this song is excellent)
Katatonia - "Last Song Before the Fade"

Reactions: The Grayfox
Fuck it, I'll join you guys. I'm using a playlist that a few of my friends and I made, but I'm going to skip over any songs I didn't add for obvious reasons.

1. Shinedown - "Simple Man - Acoustic" (2003): I won't lie, I haven't listened to this in forever. The vocals are far too powerful for the intent of the song they're covering, and it kinda takes me out of it. That's the only problem I have with it though, it's still pretty great.
2. Seal - "Killer" (1991): I genuinely don't remember putting this song on the playlist, but I fucking love Seal, so I won't complain.
3. Disarmonia Mundi - "Demiurgo" (2000): Phenomenal song. I don't really know what to say about it, it's just something you'd have to listen to for yourself.
4. Harakiri For the Sky - "This Life As a Dagger" (2014): I also don't remember putting this song on the playlist, but it's from my favorite album from them, so I might've just added the whole thing to it.
5. Deftones - "Digital Bath" (2000): God, this and "Knife Prty" are easily my favorite songs off of White Pony. I feel the most shoegaze influences here out of all the songs on the album, though that may just be because of the subdued nature and guitar tones.
6. Sevendust - "Silly Beast" (2015): Absolutely underrated. Most reviews I read about Kill the Flaw cited this song as being one of the weaker ones, but I completely disagree. There's something just incredible about it that I wish more people picked up on, even if it is just alt rock/hard rock.
7. Lorna Shore - "Sun//Eater" (2021): One of the only deathcore songs I actually enjoy. I haven't listened to anything else from them, but the symphonic elements really elevate the song. The typical down-tuned deathcore breakdowns are definitely the low point of the song. I just find deathcore to be the boring amalgamation of death metal and hardcore that sees bands take the worst of both subgenres. That's just me though.
8. Manes - "Endetidstegn" (2018): A really cool song from a lesser known avant-garde band. I remember seeing a comment on the video for this or another song, "Scion", that said if Ozzy stumbled into a trip hop club, this is what would happen. While I think they have some better songs on both other albums and this one, I think this album is the most consistently great out of all of them.
9. If Anything, Suspicious - "If I Ever" (2021): Well, I guess this is the only way I'll get anything IF-related onto this list. I really like this project though, it's something completely different and shows that Anders can not only display great compositional skills and musicianship, but that he can also really go out of his comfort zone and do that well. I doubt we'll ever get a second album for the project, but that's alright.
10. Blood Stain Child - "Pitch Black Room" (2007): A really cool sleeper song on Mozaiq that I wish got more love. I passed over it on my first listen without much of an impression, but it really started growing on me as I listened to it more. Sure, Ryu's clean vocals on Mozaiq are some of the worst I've ever heard, but they almost actually work for this song. Almost.

I won't lie, I got way more modern and mainstream stuff than I expected. That, and no shoegaze, which especially surprises me. I generally listen to a ton of stuff from the 90s and early 2000s, so I guess I expected to see more of that. I'm also surprised that I didn't get any melodeath aside from BSC and Disarmonia. I know that I don't listen to all of the big MDM bands (Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Omnium Gatherum), but damn. Not even IF, DT, or Soilwork here.

Lorna Shore is pretty fun because they're so ridiculously over the top. The vocals make me a little nauseous, though. There's such a thing as too deep. Interestingly, the vocalist once mentioned A Sense of Purpose as one of his musical influences.

If Anything Suspicious is great for sure. I still play the debut regularly.

Reactions: Xpyro125
Fuck it, I'll join you guys. I'm using a playlist that a few of my friends and I made, but I'm going to skip over any songs I didn't add for obvious reasons.

1. Shinedown - "Simple Man - Acoustic" (2003): I won't lie, I haven't listened to this in forever. The vocals are far too powerful for the intent of the song they're covering, and it kinda takes me out of it. That's the only problem I have with it though, it's still pretty great.
2. Seal - "Killer" (1991): I genuinely don't remember putting this song on the playlist, but I fucking love Seal, so I won't complain.
3. Disarmonia Mundi - "Demiurgo" (2000): Phenomenal song. I don't really know what to say about it, it's just something you'd have to listen to for yourself.
4. Harakiri For the Sky - "This Life As a Dagger" (2014): I also don't remember putting this song on the playlist, but it's from my favorite album from them, so I might've just added the whole thing to it.
5. Deftones - "Digital Bath" (2000): God, this and "Knife Prty" are easily my favorite songs off of White Pony. I feel the most shoegaze influences here out of all the songs on the album, though that may just be because of the subdued nature and guitar tones.
6. Sevendust - "Silly Beast" (2015): Absolutely underrated. Most reviews I read about Kill the Flaw cited this song as being one of the weaker ones, but I completely disagree. There's something just incredible about it that I wish more people picked up on, even if it is just alt rock/hard rock.
7. Lorna Shore - "Sun//Eater" (2021): One of the only deathcore songs I actually enjoy. I haven't listened to anything else from them, but the symphonic elements really elevate the song. The typical down-tuned deathcore breakdowns are definitely the low point of the song. I just find deathcore to be the boring amalgamation of death metal and hardcore that sees bands take the worst of both subgenres. That's just me though.
8. Manes - "Endetidstegn" (2018): A really cool song from a lesser known avant-garde band. I remember seeing a comment on the video for this or another song, "Scion", that said if Ozzy stumbled into a trip hop club, this is what would happen. While I think they have some better songs on both other albums and this one, I think this album is the most consistently great out of all of them.
9. If Anything, Suspicious - "If I Ever" (2021): Well, I guess this is the only way I'll get anything IF-related onto this list. I really like this project though, it's something completely different and shows that Anders can not only display great compositional skills and musicianship, but that he can also really go out of his comfort zone and do that well. I doubt we'll ever get a second album for the project, but that's alright.
10. Blood Stain Child - "Pitch Black Room" (2007): A really cool sleeper song on Mozaiq that I wish got more love. I passed over it on my first listen without much of an impression, but it really started growing on me as I listened to it more. Sure, Ryu's clean vocals on Mozaiq are some of the worst I've ever heard, but they almost actually work for this song. Almost.

I won't lie, I got way more modern and mainstream stuff than I expected. That, and no shoegaze, which especially surprises me. I generally listen to a ton of stuff from the 90s and early 2000s, so I guess I expected to see more of that. I'm also surprised that I didn't get any melodeath aside from BSC and Disarmonia. I know that I don't listen to all of the big MDM bands (Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Omnium Gatherum), but damn. Not even IF, DT, or Soilwork here.

Man, I love Will Ramos (Lorna Shore). The more disgusting the vocals, the better I say. And he's got that in spades. I'm surprised you haven't heard To the Hellfire. That song was all over the place for a while after it was released because of the last minute or so. I would check that out. It's pretty insane. There's also footage of him with a scope down his throat so you can see exactly what's going on when he does all of his squeals and screams. Crazy stuff. Sun//Eater is excellent. I also do really like deathcore though.

I don't exactly know why, but I could never get into Deftones. I know people that go absolutely crazy for them, I've just never gotten it. Same with Tool. I know people who would only listen to Tool for the rest of their lives if given the option. Disarmonia Mundi though? *chef's kiss* Fragments of D-Generation is so good.

Reactions: Xpyro125
Man, I love Will Ramos (Lorna Shore). The more disgusting the vocals, the better I say. And he's got that in spades. I'm surprised you haven't heard To the Hellfire. That song was all over the place for a while after it was released because of the last minute or so. I would check that out. It's pretty insane. There's also footage of him with a scope down his throat so you can see exactly what's going on when he does all of his squeals and screams. Crazy stuff. Sun//Eater is excellent. I also do really like deathcore though.

I don't exactly know why, but I could never get into Deftones. I know people that go absolutely crazy for them, I've just never gotten it. Same with Tool. I know people who would only listen to Tool for the rest of their lives if given the option. Disarmonia Mundi though? *chef's kiss* Fragments of D-Generation is so good.

Honestly, aside from hearing about Lorna Shore here and there passingly, I never really knew anything about them. And I saw that video with the internal camera, that was really fucking awesome.

Deftones is pretty cool, but they're nowhere close to being one of my favorite bands. I absolutely love certain songs and find others to be alright. Never got into Tool either though, so cheers there.

Fragments is alright, if you ask me. Some of the songs are phenomenal, but then you have some which just don't click with me whatsoever. If everything was of the caliber of "Morgue of Centuries", "Red Clouds", "Oceangrave", and "Colors of a New Era", easy 9/10. I think I'm missing another one that I loved, but eh.

Reactions: The Grayfox
I haven't been to Connecticut. I did look at houses online to potentially buy though. I ended up settling on Colorado. Big mistake. I only lived there for 6 months and then sold my house and moved back to California. I've been to LA a ton. I like visiting LA, but it suffers from the same problem that most of California suffers from, which is how expensive it is. I've flown down for shows and things like that though and I always have a good time there.

I am a strict 'no flags' kind of guy when it comes to my house. Not that I hate America or anything, but I just don't see the need to constantly advertise that 'USA is so great, all hail America" every single minute of every day. It's obnoxious. It's part of the reason I couldn't tolerate Colorado. Beautiful state but it's full of gun-toting rednecks that wear American flag shirts and cowboy boots every day. It's too 'white' and not very tolerant of anything or anyone else. But I will say that it was quite clean and there was practically no crime where I bought my house. I woke up every day and could stand on my back porch with a great view of the Rocky Mountains. Still, not enough to keep me there.

It's currently 95F here (or 35C) and I'm very happy I have air conditioning. I hope to make it over to the UK one of these days. I really, really want to visit.

Yeah I have heard that LA is expensive, although I will say the food (that we ate, at least) was very reasonably priced and the portions were huge compared to what we get here. It was funny how the waiting staff seemed offended it we didn't finish the entire thing :D it was like, yo, we're British... we ain't used to eating this much at once.

It was between 30-40C here at various points in August, so I know how that is. Thankfully now it's down to between 20-25C which is much more tolerable. Air conditioning isn't really a thing here, not in the same way as in countries with regular hot weather anyway, so it's just a case of putting on a fan and praying the temperature drops soon.

Well bro, if you ever do come to the UK hit me up, we'll sink some beers and have some good old banter about how much of a bellend Anders is :cool:

That is quite the random assortment of tunes there. The Heart Collector is an excellent song. Let's see what I get...

Mercenary - "Obscure Indiscretion"
Metallica - "Blitzkrieg"
Iron Maiden - "If Eternity Should Fail"
Blind Guardian - The Script for My Requiem (demo)"
Polaris - "Dusk to Day"
Children of Bodom - "All Twisted"
Fozzy - "The Prisoner"
Insomnium - "Wail of the North"
Machine Head - "Devil with the King's Card"
Volbeat - "Doc Holliday (live)"

How I haven't gotten a single In Flames or Iced Earth track is beyond me.

Mercenary, nice :headbang: the only bands I have nothing from there are Polaris and Volbeat. I kinda like Fozzy but it's kind of hard to separate Jericho's voice from the wrestling persona when I'm listening.

As for not getting any IF, I guess it depends how many IF tracks you have. I've got around 15,000 songs on my playlist and 769 songs in my IF folder (all albums, some twice, plus various boots, oddities, etc) so I have a roughly 5% chance of getting an In Flames song, assuming the randomizer on Winamp is truly random. If you've got, say, 200 In Flames songs and 10,000 songs on your playlist then you've only got a 2% chance of getting an IF track per selection.

Man, the only bands I have anything for on that list are Shinedown and Disarmonia Mundi :D I'm actually surprised I don't have anything for Blood Stain Child. I've definitely heard their stuff before, but it must have been through a streaming service or YouTube.

Deathcore isn't for me either, I don't think I have any Deathcore bands in my playlist at all. Oh, actually, I have All Shall Perish. Eradication is a pretty sick song. I think that's genuinely all though.

I remember years ago on the Dark Tranquillity UM forum, some user said In Flames had become a commercial act "like RIHANNA and SENTENCED!!!!!!!!!!!"

Let me get in on this randomization thing...

At the Gates - "Slaughter of the Soul"
Riverside - "The Curtain Falls"
Soilwork - "Neurotica Rampage"
Apartment 26 - "Axel Off"
The Paper Kites - "The Mortal Boy King"
Yes - "Leave It"
Theatre of Tragedy - "Disintegration"
Sybreed - "Decoy"
Windir - "Heidra" (the last minute of this song is excellent)
Katatonia - "Last Song Before the Fade"

I'd actually be quite interested to hear a band who were aiming to be a mixture of Rihanna and Sentenced. That would be pretty out there.

Of this list I have ATG, Soilwork and Katatonia on my playlist... none of the others though. Neurotica Rampage is one of my favourite earlier Soilwork songs though. The frenetic, chaotic energy throughout the track gives it a really manic vibe, but it still manages to be quite melodic in parts. Definitely one of the highlights of their earlier career.

My next 10...

The Devil Wears Prada - HTML Rulez D00d (2007)
The Beatles - Revolution (1968)
Nocturnal Rites - The Sinner's Cross (2000)
Feeder - Yesterday Went Too Soon (1999)
Trivium - Fugue (2003)
Heaven Shall Burn - Bleeding to Death (2004)
Rhapsody of Fire - The Courage to Forgive (2021)
Pain - Learn How to Die (1995)
Dimmu Borgir - Alt Lys Er Svennet Hen (1996)
Nobuo Uematsu - J-E-N-O-V-A (FFVII AC Version) (2005)

Well, that's a lot more normal than the last batch :D

Last edited:
The AC version of Jenova is great. Good taste.

Neurotica Rampage is fun, but I've yet to fully dive into early Soilwork. What I've heard of Predator's Portrait has been quite nice.

What else do I have in here...

The Sins of Thy Beloved - "Lake of Sorrow"
Sonata Arctica - "Gravenimage"
Sevendust - "Enemy"
At the Gates - "Windows" (my favorite from the debut)
In Flames - "Monsters in the Ballroom"
Katatonia - "Deadhouse" (I find pre-Viva Emptiness Katatonia to be mediocre, but this one's not bad)
Tesseract - "Nocturne"
Gojira - "Explosia"
Dark Tranquillity - "White Noise / Black Silence"
Theatre of Tragedy - "Senseless" (my favorite gothic metal band for sure - Storm is one of my all-time favorite albums)

I know it got a lot of criticism at the time, but I really like the FFVII AC movie. I've got the extended blu-ray version and I can pop it on any time and enjoy. Okay, the story isn't anything spectacular, but damn if the visuals aren't impressive for 2005. Dat Cloud and Sephiroth battle with the sick AC version of One Winged Angel. Let's be real, that's way better than what we got on the PS1 :D The soundtrack on the whole is excellent, as to be expected from Nobuo Uematsu. I tend to watch it in Japanese though as I find the English voices... flat? It really sounds like they're just reading from a script, unlike the Japanese VAs which sound much more natural (to me, at least). Tifa's VA is probably the worst for this in the English dub. Also generally speaking Reno & Rude are just hilarious in AC.

Anyway, point is, good movie, fuck tha haterz, etc.

Have seen Sevendust on a few people's lists now... never a band I got into. I might take a look at Theatre of Tragedy. As noted gothic metal isn't really my thing, but I don't mind it when it's done in an interesting way. I mean, Subterranean is at its core a gothic metal EP, and it's pretty great.

Reactions: ThePhobiac
Yeah, I'm kind of a FF7 purist (can't stand the spinoffs) but I've always given AC a pass because of how fun it is. The English voices are a bit cringey but that's par for the course for mid-00's dubbing, I think.

Most people tend to like the first three Theatre of Tragedy albums the most, especially their third album Aegis, which is considered their best. Albums #4 and #5 are divisive because they tried out an industrial/electronica genre shift. Albums #6 (Storm) and #7 (Forever is the World) are more modern gothic metal and feature a new female vocalist (she sang on DT's "Mundane and the Magic" and on the "Where Death Is Most Alive" DVD).

I think those last two are their best, personally. This is one of my favorites from Storm, to give an idea of what that album sounds like:

That sounds pretty good actually. I'll give Storm a listen first, then probably Aegis. See what grabs me and what doesn't. You can indeed tell it's the female vocalist from Mundane and the Magic, which is a very cool DT track. Looks like she hasn't done much (anything?) since ToT broke up in 2010 though.

As far as FF7 goes, play through the OG game once a year (PS4 rerelease makes it easier with the x3 speed). I got the remake but imo it's kind of shit. Visuals are amazing, don't get me wrong, but the gameplay just sucks. Should have stuck to turn based combat and just updated it a little. Persona 5 shows turn based combat can still be plenty of fun when implemented correctly. The real-time action combat is just boring to me. Also they're basically just adding a shitload of filler into the original story to stetch everything out, not to mention changing some fundemental elements (for example diluting the grey area of AVALANCHE being a terrorist group by making Shinra responsible for people dying in the bomb blast at the opening of the game). Fuck the remake. I never really played any of the other spinoff games so can't comment, but Last Order was a cool little OVA. I think that came out with AC.

But yes, for me AC gets a pass because it still has the spirit of the original. The remake does not.

Actually I will posit one positive of the remake - people ripped the environments into VR Chat and wandering around in those environments was actually fucking unreal, so that's one good thing that came out of the remake.

Yeah, being able to wander around Midgar in high definition was the best part of the Remake. Completely blew my mind. Otherwise, I agree -- I really wasn't a fan of the Remake at all, both in terms of gameplay and story changes. I wanted to see the same story retold with modern graphics and presentation instead of with the limited technology of 1997, but hey, that's what you get when you wish on the monkey's paw.

I haven't played the remake, but I remember reading that the combat system was completely changed, which if true, makes it a lot less likely that I'll play it. Especially if it's similar to modern FF games. The last one I could tolerate was FFXII and that was pushing it a bit. I'm very old school when it comes to RPGs.

Yeah, being able to wander around Midgar in high definition was the best part of the Remake. Completely blew my mind. Otherwise, I agree -- I really wasn't a fan of the Remake at all, both in terms of gameplay and story changes. I wanted to see the same story retold with modern graphics and presentation instead of with the limited technology of 1997, but hey, that's what you get when you wish on the monkey's paw.

I think that's literally all anybody wanted. Update the original with modern graphics - leave everything else as it is. It wasn't that difficult, but no, it became a bloated project adding stuff that nobody asked for or wanted. Pretty much like all of the spin-offs and add-ons they've done to milk FF7 over the past 25 years or so. It's a shame, but it is what it is. I stopped playing it around the part where you're infiltrating the Shinra building, mainly just because I was bored. I'll probably go back to it at some point, but I'm not really looking forward to doing so.

I haven't played the remake, but I remember reading that the combat system was completely changed, which if true, makes it a lot less likely that I'll play it. Especially if it's similar to modern FF games. The last one I could tolerate was FFXII and that was pushing it a bit. I'm very old school when it comes to RPGs.

Yes it's basically the modern style of FF combat with some minor changes. One of the things I loved about Persona 5 was that in a lot of ways it felt like an old school JRPG, and a lot of that came from the turn-based combat system, which for me at least was a lot of fun despite people claiming it's outdated. I'd understand that viewpoint if modern combat systems were an improvement, but are they really? Don't get me wrong, they are more action-orientated and simulate 'real' fighting a lot more faithfully... but it's not like I was ever playing older RPGs like "man, great game, but this combat system is so dumb and unrealistic. Smh at this idiocy". The system just needed refining as time went on, which P5 did to great success, proving that type of combat system is still perfectly plausible and playable if there's enough motivation to make it interesting visually.