Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

Whoracle is great, and although it's quite a short album it also means there's essentially no filler. Every track on the album has a purpose and something unique about it. When I ranked my top 500(ish) songs I was surprised to find Whoracle as joint top with Clayman in terms of IF albums, ahead of TJR and Colony.

Reactions: Xpyro125
Does anyone else adore those electronic remixes/medleys bonus tracks that Dark Tranquillity sometimes did of their own songs? While not super special on their own, still those are nice reimaginations, I think

For those who didn't hear them:
Derivation TNB (The New Build/Through Smudged Lenses, Mind Matters, Dry Run)

Reconstruction Time Again (State of Trust, None Becoming, Uniformity)

Asleep In The Bandaged Light (FreeCard) (This one feels a bit like JRPG music to me :D)

Yeah, I've always liked those tracks. I've never confirmed it myself, but I have a feeling Asleep in the Bandaged Light was used as the intro song during the Projector tour (before the band went onstage).

My final 10 recent plays of 2022... as picked at random from my huge Winamp playlist.

Nitrate - Renegade (Hard Rock, 2021)
LeAnn Rimes - Can't Fight the Moonlight (Pop, 2000)
Bruce Dickinson - Soul Intruders (Heavy Metal, 2005)
Yellowcard - Way Away (Indie, 2003)
Soilwork - Soilworker's Song of the Damned (Meldic Death Metal, 2002)
Dragonforce - Revolution Deathsquad (Power Metal, 2006)
Eminem - Kim (Rap, 2000)
Electric Light Orchestra - Sweet Talkin' Woman (Pop, 1978)
Dragony - Magic (Power Metal, 2021)
In Flames - Ordinary Story (Melodic Death Metal, 1999)

Just played through Metal: Hellsinger. Pretty fun, but more importantly some great music. The tracks with Mikael Stanne were probably my favorites.

Good song. Nothing new or outstanding. Great end of the chorus. At last, they tried something a bit different there.

And one of my favourite songs from this past years. This band doesn't have all of the love that it deserves.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the after-Meet Your Maker-effect, but The Witch Hunter is astonishing. Sure, it's not groundbreaking, but it was never my expectation. What I got instead is awesome changes of pace, lovely acoustic interludes and slightly muffled vocals straight out of In The Halls of Awaiting, bringing out the best of the melodies. Combined with the witches theme, which is one of my favourite topics in art overall, it just ticks all my marks.

Just played through Metal: Hellsinger. Pretty fun, but more importantly some great music. The tracks with Mikael Stanne were probably my favorites.
Man, how I suck at that game :D Really nice soundtrack though, my favourite is Dissolution with Bjorn, but Stygia and Serj's songs are solid as well. Alissa nailed it at Gamescom.

Reactions: eochaid
Meanwhile to balance out the heaviness, here's some good old power metal, and an English band no less. In fact, these guys are from a town literally about 23 miles / 32km from me.

Appear to be total nerds judging from this video, but that's okay. You gotta have a bit of that in you to listen to this kind of music, let alone record it. Solo section starting from the 2.45 minute mark is pretty nice. Imagine writing a solo that actually fits the song it's in perfectly and doesn't sound like it was spliced in from a generic solo vault. Someone tell Bjorn it can be done - and tell Anders that singing decently can be done without a thousand layers being piled on top of the vocals.

That video makes me laugh.

I've never been super into power metal, but I've gotta say that HammerFall has become one of my favorite bands recently. I hadn't listened to them in like 20 years and realized that I've missed some pretty damn good records.

I really need to go through HammerFall's discography in more detail. I've got a random selection of tracks from them, but I think Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken is the only full album I have from them.

I really need to go through HammerFall's discography in more detail. I've got a random selection of tracks from them, but I think Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken is the only full album I have from them.

Most of their records are really solid. I was browsing around Spotify one day and Last Man Standing popped up. I listened to it. Then I listened to it again. I must've listened to it 8-10 times back to back and that was enough to make me go and revisit their back catalog. I've discovered quite a few great HammerFall tunes since.

You seriously need to listen to Disillusion's last two albums.

Their new album has really, really good production. It sounds incredible.

Whilst looking for other music to listen to alongside Disillusion, I found some melodic rock stuff which sounds pretty good.

If this is what IF were trying to sound like with SC then... well, it's a good thing they went in another direction, as actual hard rock bands do it a lot better.

Damn, I'm really enjoying this one. I remember quite liking Still Remains' debut album, then not being a huge fan of the follow up and just kinda forgetting about them. Might have to check out the Ceasing to Breathe album. Getting some strong mid-2000s MDM/Metalcore vibes from this track, at least.

Reactions: miniroch
Just came back from a concert where people in the local music scene played emo covers. They played A Sense of Purpose in its entirety.

I fucking wish!

Damn, I'm really enjoying this one. I remember quite liking Still Remains' debut album, then not being a huge fan of the follow up and just kinda forgetting about them. Might have to check out the Ceasing to Breathe album. Getting some strong mid-2000s MDM/Metalcore vibes from this track, at least.

Similar vibes to little known band called Universum, though there were so many of those melodeathcore bands around 2010's it's hard to keep track. Still, solid 2 albums from those guys:

It's very trippy that I am consulting with an aritificial intelligence (chatgpt) about our summer holiday plans, and he actually comes up with useful ideas and answers. AI in my mind was still my experience from an eon ago with Google's chat bot, which was fun for 5 minutes then ran its course.