Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

I don't know that band so I am not sure if that's a positive in your book or not. I did listen to this album however, and of course, had to be disappointed. That song is nothing like the record, and I wasn't too impressed with it. Nonetheless I've decided to listen through their albums one by one, because there's got to be a few gems here and there given the nature of the versatility of this band. Only finished with the first one yet, but I actually liked it more overall. The last song (Slave Hive Meltdown - my long lost cousine?) is actually very MDM heavy and parts of it remind me of older IF as well. Clad In Shadows '99 came up after that on autoplay and it kinda fit.

I probably won't be a fan of them, but if they tour here with medium ticket prices, it may be worth to check them out.

Not necessarily bad. I mean I'm vaguely familiar with the band, every time they put something out I will check it out for a song or two, like it a little bit but generally I find their songs a bit too quirky for the sake of being quirky. Which is fine, it's just not what I want from metal music. And they also typically went on a linear slope of making softer and softer music. Their singer has similar image like the singer from Poets of the fall (heavy eye make up, theatrical videos, theatrics in live shows) and this new song you posted is basically a pop rock tune which is right up Poets' ally.

For what it's worth I was really impressed with some live footage I've seen here and there and they put on a good show in the true sense of that word, but I doubt I would go out of my way to pay and travel somewhere to catch them live. It's more of a cabare/circus/performance mashup than a metal band the way I see it.

Why did Serpent put these two songs on the same album, lmao. They start almost identically and have various sections where they sound way too similar. I like both songs, but this is more like two demos of the same song rather than two different songs :rofl:

I've got the album but haven't listened to it yet. been listening to the Angus McSix album but it's nothing too special. Two songs on there I really like, the rest fine but don't stand out.

I've never been a huge Metallica fan, and haven't even listened to all their records. I do think Master of Puppets is amazing, but none of their other stuff captured me like that. That being said, I gave it a spin a few weeks ago and I think it's okay. I really like the riffs, and some of the songs have a little cheesiness to them. Like the last one: dumb lyrics, needlessly long, but a bit of a guilty pleasure. The second part of You Must Burn is quite great as well.

Any opinions about the new Metallica?

I thought it was boring AF at first listen but now I’m regularly coming back to it :kickass:
I'0ve only listened to the singles. To me, they sound like Kill Em All riffs. But, apart from that, I find the songs boring. So I didn't give a try to the full thing. But have in mind that I've never been a huge fan of the band. I like their albums till AJFA but that's just it. I have not listened to them in years.

Reactions: Moonshield_
Listened to the album... it just isn't my thing. I can understand why somebody into metal would like it, but it's not really to my current tastes.

As far as Metallica in general, I think they're alright but maybe a bit overrated. Four Horsemen and Seek & Destroy from Kill 'Em All are good. Ride the Lightning has the title track, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black and Creeping Death. Master of Puppets is my favourite overall Metallica album, where I like basically every song. Don't really get the hype around AJFA, not really anything on there I'm interested in. Eye of the Beholder is okay. Controversial opinion alert, but I've never liked "One" either.

Black Album is alright. Enter Sandman, Sad but True, The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters all solid. The rest are fine but I wouldn't listen to them on purpose.

Load and Reload... well, I don't really like anything on Load. Reload - Fuel is alright. I actually like The Unforgiven II. It's no masterpiece but it's an okay follow up to the original. Everything else sucks.

And there's no other songs after this on any Metallica album I care about. I've tried, but every time I come to the realisation that modern Metallica isn't for me, and in reality even historical Metallica - Master of Puppets aside - wasn't really my kind of thing either. Most of the time when I'm talking about Metallica I'm saying the songs are "fine" or "alright", and that's how I feel even about most of the tracks that I'd say I like.

Of Metallica's entire discography, I'd say only The Four Horsemen, Seek & Destroy, Ride the Lightning, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Master of Puppets as a whole album, Enter Sandman and The Unforgiven are tracks I'd put above "okay", which isn't that much when you take the whole discography into account. Oh, actually, I also really like "No Leaf Clover" from that symphonic album they did. The 'Whisky in the Jar' cover they did is nice too.

So basically very early Metallica up to MoP I'm partial towards. Then it pretty much goes downhill after 1986. RIP Cliff.

I've always felt the same. I don't really understand what's about them that makes them the greatest metal band ever.

I also think of the Black Album as a work of three songs with a bunch of fillers. I know. Don't kill me. It's just how I feel about it.

Is Metallica overrated? I don't know. It's such a hot topic at times. I grew up on them and have a lot of love for their first four albums. I really can't listen to the Black Album at all except for a few b-sides; My Friend of Misery is amazing. Puppets is definitely the album you see most people say is their favorite. It ranks 3 for me, with AJFA being my top. Production aside, which is complete garbage, the album suits my tastes. It's probably the most technical Metallica has ever been. I love the title track, Blackened, Frayed Ends of Sanity, to me that album has some amazing songs on it. Ride the Lightning would be second. The Load and Reload era is weird for most people. Load has some songs that I think are really great, namely Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn. I could take or leave Reload, except for Low Man's Lyric which I think is very nice. Of everything after Reload, I think Hardwired is the best. It has some really good songs with the likes of Halo on Fire and Spit Out the Bone.

I do think Hetfield is one of the best frontmen of all time. Great presence, great songwriter. And his riffs are up there with Iommi's imo.

I’ve always been only listening to the most famous songs such as One, MoP, Fade to Black, Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman (mostly while partying) but never took the time to dig deeper in this band. But with this new release it gave me the desire to explore their discography and I must say the first 3 albums are huge! And I now am the proud owner of their vinyl versions :kickass:

(My favorite being Ride the Lightening & Kill ‘Em All)

Any opinion about the last Slipknot album? As for the new Metallica I thought it was complete garbage at first listen but i’m now enjoying it a bit more ☝️

All of their albums up until and including MoP are very good. Lots of fun to listen to. After that I think it depends more on your general tastes, especially during the Load/Reload/St Anger period. That stuff is not for me at all, but I know there are advocates for those albums. I accept that I'm an outlier when it comes to AJFA so that's fine.

Death Magnetic onwards does absolutely nothing for me though.

Any opinion about the last Slipknot album? As for the new Metallica I thought it was complete garbage at first listen but i’m now enjoying it a bit more 😂

It was okay, but I have to admit I didn't really come back to it after initial listens. It wasn't bad, I just didn't think it was especially good either. But then, I'm not a huge Slipknot fan either. There's a dozen or so songs I like from them, mainly from their earlier albums, and a lot of tracks that don't do anything for me.

The Day that Never Comes is a catchy song

It's okay, but then I've got literally hundreds of songs that I find catchier and more interesting, so why not listen to those instead? That's how it tends to be with anything Metallica-related for me after the Black Album really. I guess it's just how my tastes are. If I'm going to listen to something catchy I'll go with Freedom Call, Kamelot, Fellowship, Amaranthe, Edguy, Lorenguard - mostly Power Metal, but I'd even prefer stuff like Rise Against or Raised Fist, or J-Pop.

Speaking of Rise Against, Appeal to Reason is such a great album. I really enjoy almost every song on there. They have some fanatastic stuff on their earlier albums too., especially Siren Songs of the Counter Culture. Dancing for Rain probably being my absolute favourite, alongside To Them These Streets Belong. Could pick almost anything from Appeal to Reason but Hero of War is just a beautifully tragic song. Genuinely gives me goosebumps sometimes.

If I'm going to listen to something catchy I'll go with

Album Cover GIF

Speaking of Rise Against, Appeal to Reason is such a great album. I really enjoy almost every song on there. They have some fanatastic stuff on their earlier albums too., especially Siren Songs of the Counter Culture. Dancing for Rain probably being my absolute favourite, alongside To Them These Streets Belong. Could pick almost anything from Appeal to Reason but Hero of War is just a beautifully tragic song. Genuinely gives me goosebumps sometimes.

Never really tried this band but I might appreciate their sound since I sometimes like to listen to Sum41?

Never really tried this band but I might appreciate their sound since I sometimes like to listen to Sum41?

The vocalist has a very unique style - and I mean unique as in good, not unique as in Anders. I'd definitely recommend giving them a go. Not exactly the same as Sum41 (who I also like) but certainly have some punky elements.

02:20 onwards from Re-Education gives me chills. These guys are just so good.