Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

Definitely not bad, I might listen to them more frequently with the arrival of summer (always loved listening to pop punk while the sun’s out !)

(Although it always makes me want to drink 🍺)

Any opinion about the last Slipknot album? As for the new Metallica I thought it was complete garbage at first listen but i’m now enjoying it a bit more ☝️
Oddly enough, I enjoy the first song a lot. Then , the following songs sound good but, overall, I find it boring. Mostly because of Corey Taylor following the same pattern for every song.

Reactions: Moonshield_
Definitely not bad, I might listen to them more frequently with the arrival of summer (always loved listening to pop punk while the sun’s out !)

(Although it always makes me want to drink 🍺)
Nah man, we both know Battles is the ultimate summer album. Recorded in sunny California with surfboards and starbucks in hand. Not to mention it has that epic pop-punk anthem "Us Against the World" 😎

The vocalist has a very unique style - and I mean unique as in good, not unique as in Anders. I'd definitely recommend giving them a go. Not exactly the same as Sum41 (who I also like) but certainly have some punky elements.

02:20 onwards from Re-Education gives me chills. These guys are just so good.

RA must be the only punk band that I like. Re Education Though Labour is a killer. Though I like more Endgame than ATR (though the both of them are great albums). Also, a good number of their songs are among my top favourites ever.

From their last albums I enjoy a lot

And

Then, Satellites and Make it Stop are a must.

Reactions: DE4life
that epic pop-punk anthem "Us Against the World" 😎

blinking trailer park boys GIF

• Haha
Reactions: DE4life
RA must be the only punk band that I like. Re Education Though Labour is a killer. Though I like more Endgame than ATR (though the both of them are great albums). Also, a good number of their songs are among my top favourites ever.

From their last albums I enjoy a lot

And

Then, Satellites and Make it Stop are a must.

Their stuff from 2004-2008 is my favourite period, but yeah, those songs are great too and I don't think they've ever made a bad album. I'm not a huge fan of punk either, although I have a few bands here and there I like. RA are way above all the others though, and genuinely up there with my absolute favourite bands. Not only is the music fantastic, but the lyrics actually have a real message behind them and are so powerful. Compare to shit like "Drained" and "Delight and Angers" and it's like comparing something an intelligent adult wrote versus something an angsty 12 year old wrote. The lyrics make RA's music so much more impactful, so many awesome lines. Not only that, but the vocalist is so good at putting emphasis and emotion into those lines.

Nothing but good things to say about RA. So much so that I'd genuinely put them up there with some of the greatest bands of all time.

Reactions: eochaid
One of the differences is that RA has a social (and political) compromise. Meaning that they have something that they want to express. Need to express. In the meantime, Anders is constantly struggling with themes and motivation. He doesn't seem to really have anything to talk about.

The sad thing with Anders is that at some point he actually did. TJR/Whoracle were his concepts even if Sundin wrote the lyrics. Clayman stuff is more personal but still extremely creative in how it was expressed. Even Reroute has plenty of great lyrical lines. You've got stuff like Dead End, Vacuum and Vanishing Light from CC which are also really thoughtful lyrics.

Then it's like he ran out of motivation or inspiration, and just resorted to cheap, cliched, boring lyrics which literally anybody could have written. It's a real shame.

Just my opinion. I think that he doesn't have the need to say or express anything anymore. So he's going with cliches. He seems to be more concerned about making catchy melodies than to say anything to the audience.

I think he maybe had something to say on Foregone, but you can see the old magic just isn't quite there anymore. He either doesn't want to put the effort into creating some really interesting lyrics, or he simply can't do it anymore.

I think that they, from some time ago, are just making new albums because they have to, not because they really want to.

How can you doubt the incredible passion and honesty that went into the masterpiece known as Battles?

I don't think it helps that Howie is probably helping Anders write lyrics. Granted, he isn't credited as such, but I don't see why there's been such a drastic shift in how Anders writes.

On a side note, I was looking at the Wiki page for Foregone and saw this as part of a review somebody did: "The balancing act In Flames have pulled off is pretty impressive, giving just enough of the 'old In Flames' while continuing their evolution beyond the confines of generic death metal."

Generic death metal. Talk about out of touch. There was nothing generic about the death metal that In Flames was writing. It literally helped inspire and create multiple sub-genres. Along with At The Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Carcass, etc., they were essentially pioneering. Seeing comments like that from clueless jackasses pisses me off.

Yeah, reads like a comment written by somebody who never listened to their earlier stuff, as there's next to nothing on Foregone that represents "old In Flames". Half the album is just your typical Howard Benson's In Flames, whilst the other half is the band trying to be anything other than themselves.

Although I should note by "the band" I mean Anders and Bjorn, as the others have no real musical identity within In Flames to speak of.

Last edited:
I don't think it helps that Howie is probably helping Anders write lyrics. Granted, he isn't credited as such, but I don't see why there's been such a drastic shift in how Anders writes.

On a side note, I was looking at the Wiki page for Foregone and saw this as part of a review somebody did: "The balancing act In Flames have pulled off is pretty impressive, giving just enough of the 'old In Flames' while continuing their evolution beyond the confines of generic death metal."

Generic death metal. Talk about out of touch. There was nothing generic about the death metal that In Flames was writing. It literally helped inspire and create multiple sub-genres. Along with At The Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Carcass, etc., they were essentially pioneering. Seeing comments like that from clueless jackasses pisses me off.
Probably someone who doesn't understand or like melodeath.

Reactions: The Grayfox
I've been spinning them a lot the past few days as well. Sadly their songs and lyrics from the mid-2000s are arguably even more relevent today than they were back then.

Reactions: The Grayfox
So, Eurovision just happened and obviously it's been whatever since it peaked with Lordi in 2006, but I love that the dude who won in 2009 with this:

Came back in 2011 and performed this:

lmao, what a legend.