Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

I remember someone from here recommending checking those folks a while ago - big high five mate!
They just keep getting better and better. I've already seem them live twice and they really mean business.

Absolutely fucking incredible. I fucking love Orbit Culture, man. People (Including myself) were so fucking hyped for Nija when it came out, but songs like "Saw" and "See Through Me" are also just as worth listening to as the rest of their stuff. They're a prime example of excellent modern metal- Particularly modern melodeath.
Do you guys like some melodic/epic black metal?

I'm releasing an album of this kind next month, here is a first song just out :

Let me know what you think.

Shit, man, I actually really enjoyed that too. I don't listen to as much black metal as I'd like to just because most of what I have listened to just doesn't hit my tastes, but I'd buy this. Love the guitar melodies, the vocals feel perfectly placed within the mix (For my tastes, particularly), and the drums bring a really good energy to all of it.

• Love
Reactions: Moonshield_
I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet. I listened to Descending/Black Mountain and thought it was awesome. I'll definitely give it a listen in full this weekend.

I haven't listened to much Orbit Culture, as what I've listened to in the past hasn't been my kind of thing, but I listened to Undercity as per Miniroch's endorsement above.

First 2:45 or so is fine, but to my ears it's mainly just slow, heavy riffing and cookie monster death vocals, which I get a lot of people love but has never been that interesting to me. Then we get to the pace change and okay, this is pretty cool. 03:14 - 04:08 in particular is awesome. It slows down again after that, basically back to the first couple of minutes, before ending at a faster pace.

I'd probably get used to the rest of the song just for the section at 03:14 - 04:08, as I really love that part. I guess I'll give the album a chance if there's more stuff like that on it.

That's the thing, I felt Undercity was just an okay-ish track, but then they add something extra, which they did in a lot of tracks throughout their career. There's great piano section in Descent, they had Hand Zimmer moment in The Shadowing from Nija album, not to even mention A Sailor's Tale shanty-like structure (plus neat lyrics, that's a fun story told).

I also had some hard time getting into OC music, starting with Nija, but now I can't get enough of it. And it rocks live, which is always a big plus.

Yeah, I can imagine OC being great live. Even for the heavier bands I don't care much for on CD, I tend to find they're great to listen to live. It just sounds a lot more energetic in a live environment, and a fair few of them also play slightly faster live which suits my tastes better.

I'll definitely give this album a spin, I was really impressed with the faster section of Undercity and if there's more stuff like that on other tracks there should be some that I'll be into. Much like you, it may just be a case of adapting to the general sound and appreciating it as a whole.

Reactions: miniroch
Oddly enough, it took me a little bit to get into OC as well. But then once it clicked it for me, I was all in. The song that really did it for me was See Through Me. I watched the video and the lyrics just really hit home.

I'm obsessed with Sorrower and The Aisle of Fire right now. The guitar work and the drumming on this record is absolutely flawless and Niklas' voice is powerful as all hell.

No, not at all. I think my point is, even with auto tune, Axl doesn’t sound good. But if you listen to raw audio from their live shows over the last few years, Axl sounds even worse than he does on that new single. Auto tune isn’t saving him at this point.

Reactions: eochaid
Yeah Axl's voice is shot to bits at this point. It's sad to listen to, with or without autotune. One of my colleagues is a huge GNR fan, and even she regularly comments on how awful Axl's voice is now.

Still, unlike some, at least he could sing well at one point.

I love peak Axl's voice. Late 80's, early 90s, his voice was in top form. He had a very powerful, raspy voice. Even as recent as mid-2000s, his voice was still sounding pretty good. If you watch their show at Rock Am Ring 2006, he's right in the middle of still sounding good and losing it a bit. But at this point, his voice is so hollow and has no power behind it at all.

Oddly enough, it took me a little bit to get into OC as well. But then once it clicked it for me, I was all in. The song that really did it for me was See Through Me. I watched the video and the lyrics just really hit home.

I'm obsessed with Sorrower and The Aisle of Fire right now. The guitar work and the drumming on this record is absolutely flawless and Niklas' voice is powerful as all hell.
Now that's funny, a good buddy of mine got into OC with See Through Me both because of music and lyrics :D I found it pretty basic, I prefer The Newborn One/Saw from Redfog.

As for Descent, every day I'm learning to love different tracks. At this point I think Alienated and Vultures of North are low points of the album, though it doesn't make them bad tracks, just decent. They're bangers live, so at least I get what they were aiming at. My favourite probably would be Black Mountain, but I might as well change my mind tomorrow.

As for GNR, for some reason I like the new single as a whole. It has this summer pop hit vibe, so it just works. Though Axl live sounds like a karaoke gone wrong.

I got into OC with "Behold". Great song, it actually has a really good alt metal feel that more bands could take note of, though other songs like "Saw" and "Open Eye" caught my ears more.

"Day of the Cloud" and "See Through Me" are definitely my favorites so far though- I absolutely have to recommend former since nobody else has.

The melodeath is definitely more modern of a feel than what I'm usually into, but they do it incredibly well.

Reactions: The Grayfox