Non-Weebo Chill Bros Anime Thread

I'd forgotten a lot of the original FMA. Just finished it and overall it's a good series. A lot darker than I remembered, and weirdly even though it ends on a cliffhanger I'm pretty sure I never saw the movie which is the actual end to the series. From what I read the manga was only half finished when the show was created, so it deviates significantly from the manga, and Brotherhood is a lot closer to the original story. So I guess I'll watch that after I've seen the FMA movie.

Yes. The movie finishes it in a satisfactory way. But, Brotherhood is better because the manga is just amazing. The final third and the ending of the series are just brilliant.

The movie was okay I guess, although I had some issues with the lack of character development and rushed plot. Apparently it was originally going to be a 13 episode OVA but they had to cut it down to a movie. It feels like they don't explain enough about some of the characters, and the ending... well, it's kind of funny how Ed and Al don't really seem to give a shit about leaving everyone else behind :rofl: they're just like "oh well we're here now, time for more adventures".

But yeah, it's okay if you understand the elements of the plot that aren't explained in the movie itself. Animation is very nice, at least.

Brotherhood is next. From what I understand they kind of speed through all the stuff that the 2003 series already covered and then it gets better from there.

Reactions: eochaid
Examples of where stuff isn't explained - why is Envy now a serpent? Never brought up, but it's because Envy gave up the ability to transform into human form in order to pass through the gate. You'd think they'd at least mention it, even as a throwaway line. If you know then it's fine, but if you don't it's like, wut? You never see Envy in serpent form in the 2003 series.

Also why does has main female villain already have masterful control of alchemy abilities when she would never have been able to use it in her original world? As soon she she goes to Ed and Al's world she can just use powerful alchemy instantly. Even if she'd studied it in her world, if she'd never been able to use it would she really have had that much control and ability? I don't think there's even an explanation for this, she just can. She also has zero depth as a villain, we know nothing of her motivations beyond the fact she's a Nazi xenophobe.

Yes. Those things were... Weird. But I get that they didn't have that much time to explain it all.

Brotherhood... Yes. There's a lot from the beginning of the series that they just skip in order to advance into the story. I guess that it also has to do with keeping some rhythm.

The only thing that's disappointing is the animation from some episodes. Not the animation. The drawing. In those episodes the drawings from Ed are just bad.

That's a shame as one of the highlights of the 2003 series is the animation and artwork. I don't think there was a single scene where I thought the art was bad, or at least any less consistent. The art and animation isn't hugely dynamic, but I felt like overall they did a really good job.

Although if the story is good I can forgive some bad artwork here and there. The original Trigun had some pretty awful character art at points, but it didn't matter too much as the story was good (until the final few eps anyway). Escaflowne is another one with quite poor character art (those noses, lmao) but I still enjoyed it overall.

Pretty cool upload, 1996 live performance of Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku. One of my favourite anime intro songs, and they actually give a pretty great performance of it here. Of course helps that they're an actual band and not a bunch of musicians paid to produce an anime opening. With that said, not sure why they're all dressed up like they just came out of a business meeting.

I'm enjoying Mashle a lot. The animation is not great but it has that kind of stupid Japanese humour that I love. Also, I'm biased since I'm buying the volumes.

I haven't heard of it before. I haven't watched any anime since finishing my re-watch of FMA, but I still have a lot of series I've downloaded which I haven't watched yet.

I'm currently watching the 5th season from Bingo Stray Dogs.

What an amazing show. At first, watching the first chapters from the first season, it looks like the average shonen but it's just the opposite. An amazing display of storyline and animation. Definitely in my top ten animes ever.

I find it difficult to classify. I guess that it's between shonen and swine. Since there are superpowers and lots of battles but the themes aren't something suited for children.

From the previous season, Skip and Loafer was a nice surprise, considering that is a romance. But it's a must watch. It was my favourite show from the Spring season.

Also, Chainsaw Man if you're into dark shonen. And Jigokuraku.

I rewatched the original Cowboy Bebop over the past few nights, what a great show. It's been a while since I watched it in full - probably over 15 years. Still holds up today as a superb series. Timelessly stylish and cool. Also hands down the best dub I've heard, and one of the only shows beside Outlaw Star that I'd happily watch the dub of. Spike, Jet, Faye and Ed all have absolutely perfect english voice acting. Some of the guest characters can be a little off, particularly the women, but the main characters are all voiced in an incredibly natural way.

I cannot say that the Spanish dub is great. Indeed, it's shit. But, I always watch anime in Japanese with subs so I stopped caring about dubs.

I should be rewatching Samurai Champloo. One of my favourites ever though I've only watched it once.

The first time I watched Cowboy Bebop, back in the early 2000s, it would have only been the dubbed version available on TV - so I guess I have some nostalgia for the dubbed version of the show. The same for Outlaw Star. With that said both are regularly referenced as excellent english dubs, so I don't think it's just nostalgia goggles. I have watched the series in Japanese with subs as well, and it's fantastic either way. I don't think I'd watch an english dub of a show I hadn't seen when I was younger, though - I'd just watch the Japanese version with subs and not bother with the dub. I've read that Death Note, for example, has a really good english dub... but I watched it first in Japanese and therefore have no real reason to watch the dubbed version as the Japanese voices are pretty much perfect anyway.

Weirdly a lot of lists have the Dragonball Z english dub as one of the best. This either means there are very few good english dubs of anime out there, or a lot of people are clouded by nostalgia, as DBZ english dub is pretty shit until quite late in the series. It had improved a lot by the end, but 70% of it sucks, particularly during the Saiyan and Freeza sagas.

I've heard Samurai Champloo is very good - written by the same guy who did Bebop, I think? I should watch that too.

The show is great. And the actions scenes superb. The sword fighting just... flows.

In Spain, there's a lot of people claiming that this or that show has great dub. Then I listen to it and no. I get that they probably mean that some dubs are great when compared to past dubs or other shows. But there's really little care about keeping the interpretation of the characters. And, every time that they spell a Japanese name I want to throw my TV through the windows.

I've never watched Beyblade, and I doubt I ever will, but the Japanese OP is great.