Nordin and Lopez

Silhouette

Pop till ya drop
Jun 17, 2001
Wollongong Australia
Visit site
Opeth have had two drummers, as everyone knows, each sharing approx the same time with the band. It would be unfair and closed minded to ask "WHO'S BETTER?". Any true musician realises that there is no absolute truths in who is better than who in reference to any two good musicians. So I ask you, "WHICH OPETH DRUMMER WAS/IS YOUR FAVOURITE?"
For me, it is a very hard choice. I liked Anders Nordin's creativity and ability to fit perfectly with the guitars. Yet I also think Martin Lopez's speed (specially double kick speed) and accuracy makes him shine through too. Both drummers are/were well suited to Opeth and deserve their sometimes forgotten recognition.

P.S. I think Anders takes it (only just though) :)

I think Lopez as i preffer the later albums. I like his drumming and his ability to change time signatures so smoothly. But I really should listen 2 the 1st 2 albums more closely before deciding (I haven't actually got them only listened 2 them :( )

Nordin was more Jazz orientated. Just listen to some of the fills and offbeat stuff in Orchid (especially in Apostle In Triumph).

Wasn't he actually a jazz drummer before he joined Opeth?

Still, Jazz drummers are far more technically gifted than any other drummers in my opinion. You don't have to be fast to be good....

I can't seperate them both though because their different styles fitted in so well with where Opeth were at at the time.

I'll have to go with Lopez, I LOVE the ending of Godhead's Lament, with that trashy cymbal coming in every beat. It's a small thing, reminds me of when I was in a band.. boohoo..:cry:

but we move on.. they both kick ass, but we've yet to see all that Lopez has to offer!

(Added after reading later posts)..

I'll have to add the end of "Night and the Silent Water" - that erratic-sounding snare drum just.. well, it's magic. (I think I mentioned that in my aeons-long post on metalbite.com for tool vs. opeth..

Yeah, Nordin's piano work was a plus.

I think they each individually suited the Opeth eras in which they drummed, Nordin's beats fit the dual guitar, note-based-riffs, DeFarfalla-style bass sound Opeth and Lopez fits the more rhythm/lead, chord-riff-based, deeper bass sound Opeth. Of course, Nordin would probably have changed his drumming style to fit the new style of songwriting, so I guess we'll never know...

As a very technical drummer myself, I like Anders more, but not for technical reasons, he just has a certain intangible human quality to his playing and I feel his style more closely matches Mikael's. This is not at all to suggest he is 'better' than Martin, I just prefer his style and groove more. Martin is fucking unreal as well.

As a side note I will say this: my fav drummers ever are Bill Bruford (yes, king crimson), alan white (yes), phil collins (early genesis), and Siggi (sugercubes).

Satori