Note to Mikael : Words not to use on the next album (and a healthy amount of praise)

Maharet said:
what a bunch of fucking nazis....do any of you realize that english may not be the man's first language?

To be totally honest, and some of you will probably disagree with me, why doesn't he sing in swedish? I've never understood why he bothers speaking in a foreign language, although it is a great help in the documentary that he speaks english

jinks said:
i think you need to look up the word "suicide" you waste of fucking space die.

just in case you don't i'll look up the words "maim" "kill" "eviscerate" "murder" "die" "go fuck yourself"

you get the point.

That was pretty damn funny. I guess people just need something to do with their spare time...I'd prefer jerking off, myself.

He uses Lament and halo a lot too.

And for the we're thing in stead of were. Man....he's Swedish and I really think he uses quite proper English and he's really speaking it fluently.

I wouldn't like it if he'd sing in Swedish....they would never be as popular as they are now. And there is no chance to sing along!!!!!

AbsentFriend said:
He uses Lament and halo a lot too.

And for the we're thing in stead of were. Man....he's Swedish and I really think he uses quite proper English and he's really speaking it fluently

I think so too! Like I said,just a piece of advice that he most likely will never get to see. :)
You know,don't take the first post so seriously people...well the first part of it. You can just go and sulk in a little corner jinks [I assume I'll die one day,but fear not,so will you]. I was tired out of my brains at that time and whatever,I think it's a nice thread cause I recently have developed a very fanboyish attitude towards Opeth after getting the DVD,seeing the document and so on and wanted to share my thoughts.

Actually most finns wouldn't understand much of the lyrics either if they were in Swedish. Of course the ones in the Swedish-speaking parts would,but most Finnish-speaking finns don't speak Swedish fluently,barely can form a sentence,even though we study it in school. Swedish is the one and only subject [alongside maths] that students continuously get F's from.

I think Mr. Åkerfeldt uses english because it's what he is uesed to

Also I think singing in english is nicer, another point is that it is more rewarding to know people can make something out of the lyrics instead of scratching their heads, and not get anything from the writings at all (at least that's what I think)

Mikael's lyrics own. I like how in an interview he said that he will write a line and if its too obvious, he'll rewrite it to make it more ambiguous. The list of shitty songwriters who's first language is English would fill a library. Which makes Mikael's work that much more impressive. Poetry, after all, is by far the most demanding of linguistic skills.

And wasn't Dimmu Borgir's first album in Norwegian? How well did it do?

I remember once reading an interview in which Mikael was asked if he could imagine ever doing Opeth songs in Swedish. I think he said that growling in Swedish just sounded so stupid that he could never do it :p

ET Hydro Quebec said:
:confused: :confused:
...Anyway, i never know why the word LEPPER was used. What's the meaning behind it ???

i heard from somebody that there is a story on Blackwater Park. i havent really looked into it but i heard its about a disease that infects a town or something (LEPRACY or maybe something similar). i have no clue if this is true at all. just maybe something to ponder upon if your bored.

I am swedish, and I thank Mikael that the language is in english. Swedish is a stupid language and it doesn't sounds as good as english. And doing the kind of poetry Opeth does would sound much more corny in swedish. In my opinion there's only one swedish band that can pull off poetry in swedish and that is "Kent" who probably no one here has ever heard =)

hmmm as far as the subject i felt its a lil nit picky. but Cephalanthera mentioned a story to blackwater park, i just read the lyrics in order and it does seem like it. heres a few things that ocure in the songs one way or another. it mentions skin being white or pale, poison, being sick, and it being winter and that line in bleak "A liquid seeps from your chest" sound like it could be a symptom. pretty intresting.