To Mikael, From a longtime fan...

ConvergeNerd

Mar 18, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
...This isn't about selling-out, because it never happened. It's about playing music you fucking enjoy playing and not giving a damn what anyone else thinks. I've been a fan of yours since Morningrise was released, and have followed the band with a cultist obsession ever since. I'm sure that you're aware of metal's state, because it's crowded with close-minded assholes and nerds who use terms like "mallcore" or "gay metal" because they think that the world is in their hands, when they're really sitting behind the glow of a computer screen in their parent's basement, doomed to fail at life forever. Opeth has their share of "fanboys", sure, but what band doesn't? Roadrunner comes up to me and askes if I'd like to sign a contract with 'em? Hell yes I'm going to! Being a progressive band, I'm sure that you know bands can progress both in songs and in style as well. Some may never understand that. If so, how many times have The Who sold-out? Jethro Tull? King Crimson? It's experimentation, and until the ass-licking white trash remnants of the so-called "metal scene" of today can prevent from going through one ear and out the other, you'll just have a jinx on your hands.

Anyway, the primary reason I wrote this was just to thank you for the music you've put out. I could've e-mailed you guys, but at least I know for a fact that you yourself browse the boards from time to time. I can't recall a time when one of your albums wasn't in my car's album rotation. And you still stand the test of time. This is coming from someone who listens to a lot of fucking styles of music and artists that fit under each genre. You're still my favorite. I remember seeing you guys way back before you really hit it big. There were only a couple-hundred people attending, and the concert floor smelled like armpits and cigarettes really badly, but it's the best show I've seen since. So I thank you again. I thank you for staying true to your roots, telling off that elitist moron who posted the "Hey Mikael" thread, and continuing to inspire me through both music and lyrics. It might sound cheesy, but your band has changed my life. There is the metal sub-culture and there is the Opeth sub-culture. If you prefer the former, congradulations and shut the fuck up. But you, Mikael? Keep doing what you do best, playing shows and writing near-flawless music. Fuck the haters and fuck the press.

~Jake:kickass:

Personally i don't think it's cheesey saying Opeth changed your life. I just think in many fan's cases it's brute fact. However, some people do have a sort of sad obsession with Opeth. Akerfeldt is a genius but christ, i'm sure half of the fanboys on this forum would suck his cock if he told them to.
But that being said, i remember how much i changed after listening to 'Advent'. That song will always remind me of the day my perspective of music changed. Sure i may not exactly love Ghost Reveries, but hey i don't consider them sell outs.

About this other post criticizing Mike's behaviour on stage, I have heard many people say the exact same thing, but I still haven't come across any good reason why a frontman shouldn't be talking so much on stage.
I personnally started to enjoy Opeth's stage performance much more since Mike initiated this "humorist" talk between songs. It definitely makes them stand out from most (if not all) other bands and it's a more than welcome change from the boring "Our next song is..." line.
I remember seeing Soilwork live once, and the only messages from them to the audience that I can recall are "This song is called..." and "Buy our last album at the merch stand." They did play well and they delivered everything that needed to be delivered at a normal gig, but still when I left I had this feeling that something was missing from that concert: the interaction with the audience.
Opeth is completely different though, their live perfomances are unique and to me they don't feel like I've only seen a band play live, but rather like I've seen some guys play for the crowd and actually enjoying what they do.
I guess that people who don't feel the same are just not so open to changes as I am, as the norm for live performances in the metal scene has always been the "shut up and play" style. I do not see any other good reason why someone could genuinely disagree with Mike's on stage behavior (the "they could fit another song in their set if they would just cut the talking" reason is not good, as they actually play as much they used to). This is sad in a way, because changes should be welcome by the metal community as it is what makes music evolve.

I see no problem reaching out to tell Mikael how you feel. Shit, Opeth absolutely changed my life. Music was always important to me, and I though nobody would ever take over Led Zeppelin's spot in my heart.

Led Zeppelin was it for me since the early 70's when I heard the Immigrant Song. Around 30 years later in April 2001 I heard Bleak. Bam!!! And without repeating many stories here, they came just as I entered a dark period in my life. They pulled me through it, literally. Their music was there for me.