To Mikael, From a longtime fan...

ConvergeNerd said:
...This isn't about selling-out, because it never happened. It's about playing music you fucking enjoy playing and not giving a damn what anyone else thinks. I've been a fan of yours since Morningrise was released, and have followed the band with a cultist obsession ever since. I'm sure that you're aware of metal's state, because it's crowded with close-minded assholes and nerds who use terms like "mallcore" or "gay metal" because they think that the world is in their hands, when they're really sitting behind the glow of a computer screen in their parent's basement, doomed to fail at life forever. Opeth has their share of "fanboys", sure, but what band doesn't? Roadrunner comes up to me and askes if I'd like to sign a contract with 'em? Hell yes I'm going to! Being a progressive band, I'm sure that you know bands can progress both in songs and in style as well. Some may never understand that. If so, how many times have The Who sold-out? Jethro Tull? King Crimson? It's experimentation, and until the ass-licking white trash remnants of the so-called "metal scene" of today can prevent from going through one ear and out the other, you'll just have a jinx on your hands.

Anyway, the primary reason I wrote this was just to thank you for the music you've put out. I could've e-mailed you guys, but at least I know for a fact that you yourself browse the boards from time to time. I can't recall a time when one of your albums wasn't in my car's album rotation. And you still stand the test of time. This is coming from someone who listens to a lot of fucking styles of music and artists that fit under each genre. You're still my favorite. I remember seeing you guys way back before you really hit it big. There were only a couple-hundred people attending, and the concert floor smelled like armpits and cigarettes really badly, but it's the best show I've seen since. So I thank you again. I thank you for staying true to your roots, telling off that elitist moron who posted the "Hey Mikael" thread, and continuing to inspire me through both music and lyrics. It might sound cheesy, but your band has changed my life. There is the metal sub-culture and there is the Opeth sub-culture. If you prefer the former, congradulations and shut the fuck up. But you, Mikael? Keep doing what you do best, playing shows and writing near-flawless music. Fuck the haters and fuck the press.

~Jake:kickass:

*Applauses*. Wow. have this forum evolved since I last checked it ?
Happy to see some people still come here 'cause they like the band :loco:

The moment I heard Opeth (exactly one year ago), everything changed. Other music does not sound the same anymore. It's thrilling to hear their progression from Orchid to GR....every album has a different style, yet it's all remarkable. Saw them three times last year (including the phenomenal Chicago Chronology show), and I can't wait for them to come back. They have certainly changed my life! :)

Same for me. They changed my whole perspective on music, and I've had months of listening to nearly nothing but Opeth because after listening to their albums everything else seemed so shallow, uninteresting and boring. Of course after a while overlistening caused me to turn back to other music, but there is no band that has ever done this to me, especially for this long a period of time, and I bet most of you have had this experience too. Sadly, many of you seem to have forgotten those moments when your Opeth experience was still fresh, and when their brilliance could be optimally harvested. Even after listening to all their albums for hundreds of times, there are only a few bands' albums that come close, and none that top any Opeth album (excluding the 2 D's), let alone top a first listen to an Opeth album, or a first ever Opeth listen. Sometimes I wish I could selectively erase my memory :erk:.

Nice little post, not the first not the last but coming from the heart so it's always of value.

I think whoever runs this thing would do well to finally ban a few individuals off this board. The self proclaimed "satirists", the self porclaimed "banned". Of course they are responsible for 80% of posts here.. mostly cause they're pimply teens at the stage in their life when they think there's nothing better to do than to just sit behind a PC all day (most will grow out of it, I'm sure),
and whore out for attention. Mama didn't give you enough teat when you were little?

Yeah they make this forum a lot more "active".. but cmon.. I used to post on this board a lot more, and what's more important read good threads and opinions of many a person here (most of whom have "left" as well) but abandoned it cause it was just too much idiotic crap here.

i was at the chronological opeth show and drank so many beers and spent all my money but like i said they played amen corner and mikeal said something funny and I was glad because i missed the last opeth show i bought tickets to because i was watching baseball instead of going to see opeth. Yes!

Triste said:
Dude. You need to actually start buying albums...downloading is for suckers.
sorry, I can't really find where he says he doesn't buy albums

~random~ said:
I do expose myself to more bands. I download so much shit it's not funny. None of it clicks like this though. There's always something about other bands, e.g the vocals aren't right, the riffs are boring etc. I get into a lot of prog rock, but I'm too lazy to get to know them better.

House of Seance said:
sorry, I can't really find where he says he doesn't buy albums

Yeah, I buy them, but the record stores in my town are shit. I've got ten albums I'm gonna trade in brisbane next time I go.

opeth signed to roadrunner... nothing changed negatively, exept their fans... i still don´t think opeth get the honoring or recognition they should get.

Nothing changed negatively, it just changed a bit. Some people freaked, I think.

SethCohen said:
i was at the chronological opeth show and drank so many beers and spent all my money but like i said they played amen corner and mikeal said something funny and I was glad because i missed the last opeth show i bought tickets to because i was watching baseball instead of going to see opeth. Yes!

Your sig is bang out of order, there's no way that shit should be allowed on an Opeth forum it's totally offensive.

The line about Lopez is pretty daft as well.

Stormwatch said:
Your sig is bang out of order, there's no way that shit should be allowed on an Opeth forum it's totally offensive.

The line about Lopez is pretty daft as well.

lol