To Mikael, From a longtime fan...

i agree with affinityband. i´m sure that almost everyone here feels the same way as ConvergeNerd
the hating is shallow rebellious assholeness :p
many are jealous of your talent...and that they will never reach so far musically as you have...
sure i sometimes feel that i´ve gotten tired of opeth... but opeth is something different, like no other band it always comes back to me and gives me the same chills i felt the first time i heard you... opeth has truly changed my life.
only a few bands if any have as dedicated and true fans of their music as opeth.

Cheers to you guys Opeth :kickass:

Btw I love Ghost Reveries especially Hours of Wealth which has become one of my favorite songs. I hope you have something like that on your next album!

Sure there are times that I'm slightly critical of the band & their music, but I assure everyone that I'm a huge Opeth fan.
I consider this forum an open area for discussion & debate.
Opeth are my musical heroes & idols.
Their music changed my life to a degree & definitely influenced the types of music I listen to.
I've seen the band 8 times, in comparison the other band I've seen most is Metallica 5x.
They are the only band I've ever hung around after a show waiting to meet. Am I a FanBoy....sure....but I also reserve the right to be critical of the band, their music, parts of a song, or their shows.
My intention is not to insult the band or their integrity, but to cast my opinion from an unbiased point of view.
To come on here all the time & give the band nothing but praise & admiration would be completely uninteresting.
When I met them in person I gave all of them praise for their music & talents. To an outsider it was probably an embarrasing display of one man's idol worship, but to me it meant everything.
It was coming full circle.
I've listened & loved music for over 20 yrs now. I've played music for almost 10 yrs.
My life evolves around it.
Opeth's music is by far the greatest & most interesting I've come across.
I hope I was able to express that to the band when I met them & I hope they appreciate what an effect they have on all of us who live for their music.
Hope to see you guys on Gigantour !!!

Wow, a positive thread! =O

Oh, the many things I could say in praise of Opeth and how they changed me. Like some here mentioned, there's something about your music that keeps bringing me back, even after I've overplayed your albums to ridiculous extents! Mikael and the guys have a tremendous gift and I hope they keep using it for years to come.

Now, if only a larger proportion of the world's population would take their heads out of their arses and get past the heaviness and growling so that they can unveil a plethora of Opeth awesomness to themselves.

+ 1000. A break in the general forum crap and some proper Opeth love. Thanks very much to Mikael et al for 8 truly outstanding albums that have really changed my attitude to metal and changed what I listen to. Looking forward to more Opeth touring in November too.

I think one overlooked aspect of GR is the song writing. Opeths early stuff defenitely had a more raw, less polished sound, but much of it is just a bunch of riffs strung together. I think Steve Wilsons influence was a very good thing, as it brought Opeth to a level of musicality that 99% metal bands will never see. If that pisses off the purist who wants to hear nothing but screaming and harmonized guitar leads, then fine, they probably don't have much of an ear for music anyway. When someone is as musically gifted as Mike, it is only natural to stray away from Death Metal after a while. Doing nothing but playing cock rock riffs and screaming into a microphone is gonna get a bit old after 8 albums.

It's funny too, because people continue to bash the new album. Still Life is possibly my favorite album ever recorded and a tough one to top, but that aside, Ghost Reveries is the most versatile album they have out to this date. Each song has its own identity, and I feel like they never accomplished that feat on any album preceeding it. Which is good, because repitition is the one thing I can't stand most about albums. Opeth have avoided getting caught up in that, thankfully.

It's ironic too, because they opened up big-time with the new one while still maintaining their original sound. After hearing that they signed to such a big label, most had their doubts that would happen. Lots of my friends thought that they'd just be pushed around until they were a Nickelback clone, but they did just the opposite and proved metal wrong. That takes balls.

It's actually nice to see Opeth getting exposure. C'mon, with death metal vocals are people really sweating over a possibility that they'll top the charts sometime soon or something? I'd be impressed if they made a top fourty appearance on the American charts.