Novembre

AnTz0r

Crimson King
Oct 16, 2004
Netherlands
I recently got myself into Novembre. Great band!

But there is very little info about them on the web. Their website is down, I don't even know if they still exist. Does anyone know more about them?

I'm into Mastodon atm.. leviathan is a great album, so gonna check out Remission etc.. Necrophagist are really good too and recently got Immortal's 'At the Heart Of Winter' which is immensely cool. What style are Novembre? i've heard they've good, but never actually heard em

opeth_353 said:
I'm into Mastodon atm.. leviathan is a great album, so gonna check out Remission etc.. Necrophagist are really good too and recently got Immortal's 'At the Heart Of Winter' which is immensely cool. What style are Novembre? i've heard they've good, but never actually heard em

hahaha, wtf does the first part have to do with the thread?

@ant: Novembre, last i heard, was going to record a new record before the years end. i believe i read that at their site a while ago (sometime this year).

Ah well, I don't think Novembre is one of those bands of which you can say: "they make.." [insert genre].

Death vocals. Kinda gothic-doomy guitars. Atmospheric doom-death-gothic metal?

Anyway they own.

deliverance said:
hahaha, wtf does the first part have to do with the thread?

@ant: Novembre, last i heard, was going to record a new record before the years end. i believe i read that at their site a while ago (sometime this year).

I mentioned that because he mentioned how he had recently got into a band, so i mentioned bands i've recently go into.

If they're similar to Opeth, as it said on some site, i don't see why i wouldn't like them.. but then again.. i read things saying Opeth and Katatonia are similar.. then i heard Tonights Decision.. utter shite hehe

HarlequinForest why are you always talking shit? every thread i come across on here has you in it saying something retarded. i say whoever takes care of this forum to give this kid the boot I dont think this kid has posted anything positive on this forum

opeth_353 said:
I mentioned that because he mentioned how he had recently got into a band, so i mentioned bands i've recently go into.

If they're similar to Opeth, as it said on some site, i don't see why i wouldn't like them.. but then again.. i read things saying Opeth and Katatonia are similar.. then i heard Tonights Decision.. utter shite hehe

I don't really hear much similarity between Opeth and Katatonia, besides of course Brave Murder Day and Sounds of Decay (I think it was that one anyway) that had Mikael on vocals. :p

As for Novembre, they're actually sort of like Opeth, but almost never sound like they're directly inspired by them. They have similar dynamic contrast with growling (it's more snarling in Novembre, though) and singing (I might compare the clean vocals to Maynard from Tool, but smoother and probably with less range, especially on their earlier material) and hard metal and acoustic/clean stuff. The music is a lot LUSHER I'd say, especially on Novembrine Waltz. I'd get a hold of Dreams D'Azur (which is actually a re-recorded version of their debut, so it's technically the first material they released), which has quite a bit of variety songwise; Classica, which is their third album and is where their vocals started being in-tune and their production got good; and Novembrine Waltz which is by far my favorite of theirs. Novembrine Waltz really is one of the best metal albums ever, I think...I think it blows everything Opeth has done out of the water, with the possible exception of My Arms Your Hearse. Come Pierrot, Everasia, Child of the Twilight, and Flower are seriously some of the best songs I've ever heard...their guitars are so lush and well....flowery, and the vocals are so good on this album (the snarls at the end of Everasia are some of the raunchiest I've ever heard, and the clean vocals are usually multilayered and have some great harmonies in parts). They use more overdubs than Opeth, and seem to be more about atmosphere than "cool riffs," so therefore Opeth is a lot more fun to play on guitar in my experience. :p REGARDLESS, check them out, they are incredibly good, I'd get Novembrine Waltz first but definitely try for the other two also (and Arte Novecento if you can find it, but I don't like that one quite as much as the other three).

They have a pretty layered style(as in two riffs overlapping etc) which means that most of their songs hold up well for repeat listens. However, they lack the variety(over albums rather than song dynamics) that makes a band like them really stand out. Check out any one of their albums or some of the more popular songs and leave it at that.

spigot said:
They have a pretty layered style(as in two riffs overlapping etc) which means that most of their songs hold up well for repeat listens. However, they lack the variety(over albums rather than song dynamics) that makes a band like them really stand out. Check out any one of their albums or some of the more popular songs and leave it at that.

I don't know what this guy is talking about, their albums are extremely dissimilar (well, Classica and Novembrine Waltz are slightly similar I suppose), and Novembrine Waltz and Dreams D'Azur definitely have a ton of song variation. For songs to check out, I'd say:

Everasia
Come Pierrot
Nostalgiaplatz
Flower
The Music
Dream of the Old Boats
Nursery Rhyme

I think Classica is one of the only albums really worth owning from this band, if you really just want to own classic shit. The songs were great compared to the other albums, my starving bambina" is one of their career's high points. This band has more in common with Opeth than Agalloch, I'd say. To me, it's as if Opeth were heavy most of the time and were more generic yet a tad more cohesive.

@wankerness...The only thing Brave murder day has in common with Opeth is of course, Akerfeldt himself. Jhva Elohem Meth ep, For Funerals to Come ep are more old school Opeth sounding and less "rockish" than the two you mentioned. I'm not saying you are, but alot of people are decieved by Brave murder day thinking it's supposed to be the best old Katatonia release. All the other releases kill it in every aspect.

I've only heard the one Novembre song "distances" which I quite liked, so I'ld like to hear some more, that's basically all I can add, apart from Deliverance, your sig is freaking me out!

Dreadful said:
I think Classica is one of the only albums really worth owning from this band, if you really just want to own classic shit. The songs were great compared to the other albums, my starving bambina" is one of their career's high points. This band has more in common with Opeth than Agalloch, I'd say. To me, it's as if Opeth were heavy most of the time and were more generic yet a tad more cohesive.

@wankerness...The only thing Brave murder day has in common with Opeth is of course, Akerfeldt himself. Jhva Elohem Meth ep, For Funerals to Come ep are more old school Opeth sounding and less "rockish" than the two you mentioned. I'm not saying you are, but alot of people are decieved by Brave murder day thinking it's supposed to be the best old Katatonia release. All the other releases kill it in every aspect.

I dunno, Novembre's heavy stuff isn't as CRUSHING and I think they're actually heavy LESS than Opeth (at least on Novembrine Waltz, the earlier stuff has more in the way of "metal" sections). As for the second part of your post, I meant to imply that the only way in which they sounded like Opeth on those albums were cause of Akerfeldt. The music is extremely MINIMALIST in comparison to Opeth. :E