Novembre

Dreadful said:
I think if Opeth released the Novembrine waltz album and Novembre realized Deliverance...EVERYONE would say the Novembre is better.

Actually, I'd say "WOW NOVEMBRE SURE HAS TURNED INCREDIBLY BORING" and "WOW OPETH SURE GOT GIRLY BUT A LOT BETTER."

NineFeetUnderground said:
If opeth had a choice of a band to take around...it had better be enslaved or nevermore. :)

GROSS, nevermore is so gd bad, I hated "Dreaming Neon Black" and they've only gotten worse. Enslaved would be pretty slick though. As for novembre live, I downloaded a video...their drummer is absolutely AWESOME but the rest of the band was a little bit loose. I'd still really like to see them, though.

I meant what I said....people would think "the Novembre" album (Deliverance) is better. I'd rather not drag this on...those who didn't read the original post would be more confused...but honestly it's strange to me how anyone can think Novembrine Waltz is more entertaining than Deliverance. The songwriting is actually present on the Opeth.

Dreadful said:
I meant what I said....people would think "the Novembre" album (Deliverance) is better. I'd rather not drag this on...those who didn't read the original post would be more confused...but honestly it's strange to me how anyone can think Novembrine Waltz is more entertaining than Deliverance. The songwriting is actually present on the Opeth.

Yes, cohesive songs are crappier songwriting than an album of riffs that were cut and pasted in pro tools.

What is it with metal bands and November anyways? Dirge For November, Novembre, November's Doom. I guess January's Doom just doesn't have the same effect...

wankerness said:
November's where it gets really cold and stays that way for a few months, so therefore it's scarier than January? :p

only in half the world dude...we wouldn't want to be labeled southaphobic now would we?

Looking for a Job said:
you're in wisconsin calvin, i doubt it's ever non-cold

Actually it's a lot more miserable here than in say...California during the summer. It gets almost as hot and the humidity is a lot higher so it feels even worse. It's only cold from November-March generally. THIS WAS INFORMATIVE AND INTERESTING.

Pinhead_br said:
Novembre is great, the only thing that I dislike are the clean vocals, I think it's a bit snuffling :D

You listened to the first 2 albums, for sure, where vocals were out of tune for the most part. Listen to any of the others: Classica, Novembrine Waltz, the remake of their first album - Dreams D'azure. I think you'll like it a lot more, unless there's something specific to Carmelo's timbre you don't like about.

morningstar said:
You listened to the first 2 albums, for sure, where vocals were out of tune for the most part. Listen to any of the others: Classica, Novembrine Waltz, the remake of their first album - Dreams D'azure. I think you'll like it a lot more, unless there's something specific to Carmelo's timbre you don't like about.
I listened to all their albums.
yeah, maybe you're right, I think it needs more range, if you know what I mean ;)

I agree at times Carmelo tends to "snuffle" with his vocals or whatever you want to call it, but listen to Come Pierrot ("...it seemed so long shining so bright...") That's one song I can totally appreciate for everything it is. Musically, vocally, everything. It flows so well. I think Carmelo did an excellent job with the vocals.

Child of the Twilight had this one vocal part that instantly brought chills down my spine;

"Running from light
Dive in the wonders of Twilight
Like children of dusk
On the run from the day"

Very, very well done, for sure.

Well, the thing is, back in the days of Dan Swanö's Unisound studio, there were no "auto tune" features to help (actually, force) vocal tracks to be in tune. They've used it since Classica, and so does any clean singer these days (Even Mikael used it, but he's much more controlled in singing than Carmelo is). You can notice a big change since classica, because they recorded in a different studio, in their own "The Outer Sound" Studios and by this time, the auto tune technology was already available... although, if you seen their bootleg of 2004, you notice he has gotten a lot better with his singing.

I agree, that verse in COTT is very well done, but remember it's got at least 2 voices doing the harmony in it, if you haven't noticed it :)

I would also point the song Nursery Rhymes in Arte Novecento, when he sings "Just give me a reason to remain, I'll give you a thousand to go away", it isn't as wide in rage, but it's awesome and not very easy to sing adequatedly (not for me, at least) and Nostalgia Platz "No longer I stand these fields of shine"...