Novembrine Waltz...

Desertsands

Feb 28, 2006
I know that asking this question on a Novembre forum is silly, as Novembre fans obviously enjoy Novembre music, but still:

How many of you believe that Novembrine Waltz is the best band's album?

While I highly adore their other releases, especially Arte Novecento and the latest, Materia(still need to give Wish... more listens), there is simply something brilliant, totally earth-shattering going around here that doesn't just make it my Novembre fave but one of the all-time favourites in all music!

To provoke some thoughtful discussion, I would like to post my review for the album I posted today, which can be found here - http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=11575

How many of you agree with me saying that NW is the band's most musically and emotionally successful effort? Do you agree with points made in my review?

Peace,
Ivan.

Since I've not yet made a solid opinion on Materia as my CD is yet to arrive, I am going to comment in comparison with NW and previous albums:

I think Novembrine Waltz is their most diverse album and also a huge landmark into their sound. I just read your entire review (Eek, it's huge!) and I've got to say a thing about their humming, if you listen carefully to arte novecento, you'll notice they used it back then...and yes, they've made all sorts of things which a metal band would be finger-pointed-at-because-it-feels-not-very-metal. I think songs like Come Pierrot and Flower are pretty much a good reference of NW, they've done those songs superbly emotional, dreamsy and solid. I am not sure why NW isn't my favorite album, it fits the 3rd position in my Novembre podium (following Arte Novecento and Classica) because for as much as I like NW, the atmosphere and warm sound of Arte Novecento and Classica's darkermost/intimate moments are what I'd like Novembre to keep up with. I am not very good at expressing what I feel and goes on my mind when I listen to those albums, that's why I barely ever written a review, but anyways, give yourself some more time into Arte Novecento, you'll enjoy it greatly as well. Your review was great, albeit bit too big, but I couldn't make it any better

Btw Ivan, which min-sec part of Distances sounds like a song of tchaikovski and which song is that of tchaikovski, since I've downloaded his entire discography to figure it out, but haven't found it so far :)

I think NW is by faaar their best. I think the drums are EXCELLENTLY recorder, and giuseppe is just adding so much variation and intricacies.
However, comparing Novembre to Opeth is just idiotic. It's a completely different kind of music. Besides, BWP isn't Opeth's best according to most fans, just their breakthrough.

i may be strange here, but i think it's my less favourite album from the band... i love it, but still classica and arte novecento are my favourites maybe because they were my first novembre albums i heard

Yes... I enjoy Arte Novecento greatly aside from a couple of tracks. I'll review it some time soon as well, Novembre needs more exposure from prog fans.

Nostalgiaplatz: I am talking about the riff from 4:11 to 4:32. I am not absolutely sure what the Tchaikovsky title was composition was called, give me a few days to listen to the music of his I have at home, okay?

AnTz0r: I don't know where the "idiotic" comment was directed towards or against me, but that was exactly what I was trying to prove in my review: that there is no point in comparing the two bands and that Novembre are not any less original than the Swedes!

Thanks for all the opinions! I'll be sure to give Classica more time as well!

ivansfr0st said:
AnTz0r: I don't know where the "idiotic" comment was directed towards or against me, but that was exactly what I was trying to prove in my review: that there is no point in comparing the two bands and that Novembre are not any less original than the Swedes!

I think it was generic, don't take it personal; Anyone who truly knows Novembre knows they are nothing alike Opeth soundwise, but people keep on doing comparisons, oh well! I understand your point though

AnTz0r said:
However, comparing Novembre to Opeth is just idiotic. It's a completely different kind of music.

I think this is a bullshit. Without offence, but Opeth and Novembre, though different, have a lot of things in common. People could like one or both or none, but they have similarities in the mood and the sound approach at least...

when i first heard novembre with classica, i first thought of novembre as a more accesible opeth, but then i realised they weren't that similar, in fact i like novembre much more than opeth

WORN_CARILLON said:
I think this is a bullshit. Without offence, but Opeth and Novembre, though different, have a lot of things in common. People could like one or both or none, but they have similarities in the mood and the sound approach at least...

yeah sorry for putting my opinion so strongly.. it does seem idiotic to me, but of course everyone perceives music differently. no ivansfrost, it was not directed directly at you.

i feel that what opeth does is completely different from what novembre does.

opeth is about brutality and beauty alternating and interacting with each other. in novembre's music there is much more of a song-oriented approach... i dont know. even the louder parts are more like the quiet parts, compared to opeth.

i'd opeth is more a riff-based band, whereas novembre is more a song-based band. when novembre goes writing they'll say something like "hey, let's have a really cool atmosphere in this song!" where opeth will say "hey guys, let's stuff this song with some killer riffs, and an excellent solo!"

i'd say wankerness comments in the thread on the opeth forum are about right, but far more for Novembrine Waltz and less so for the others, including materia.

I wholeheartedly agree that 'Novembrine Waltz' is the band's all round best album. In fact, it's one of my all time favourites, any genre.

For some reason, each guitar note stretches my heart strings. Really the only other times it happens like that is for 'Cold Blue Steel' and 'Nostalgiaplatz' from Classica. Obviously all the albums are great in their own way.

It's either Novembrine Waltz or Materia. Hard to say. Novembrine waltz was the first album I fell in love with so it has it's own little place in my heart:) The music felt... weird. It was weird to see the tabs for the songs because they are all such masterpieces.

Nostalgiaplatz said:
Exactly AnTzOr! I've also created this poll/thread at Opeth's forum about why so many people say novembre are rip-offs of Opeth and such.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240008

Geez, Opeth forum has always a fucking war going on. I thought there can't be more elitistic fuckheads than some black metal listeners but I guess I was wrong.

Yeah I agree that Novembrine Waltz is their best album!
You don't know how many times I've listened NW in my bed at nights and cried its beautiness.

Well I can't deny that Novembre and Opeth are similiar.
Think yourself as a black metal listener. They see Opeth and Novembre the same. like we recognize some black metal bands same.
Opeth and Novembre both are progressive bands, clean and growl, disortion and acuistics, longer songs as normal ect.
But as I've always said "Novembre plays like Opeth but they DON'T sound like Opeth" AT ALL! (or Opeth plays like Novembre ^^)

..and sometimes I'm also piss off about comparing Novembre and Opeth

Recordable said:
You don't know how many times I've listened NW in my bed at nights and cried its beautiness.
hhahahaha pussy!

In answer to the thread makers question: Although Novembrine Waltz is awesome and is the album that got me into Novembre, I'd have to say that Materia is better solely because my girlfriend lets me fuck her to it:kickass:

chomps said:
hhahahaha pussy!

In answer to the thread makers question: Although Novembrine Waltz is awesome and is the album that got me into Novembre, I'd have to say that Materia is better solely because my girlfriend lets me fuck her to it:kickass:
thanks for sharing, we really needed that