NR: Now Reading post :)

I want to borrow that JGTHM book, Cora! Always been curious about that one;)
Otherwise I have a reading stop at the moment. I have to start with LOTR book 3, but didn't get to it yet. Need a little break after reading so much to get 2 finished before the movie (and the movie ended sooner anyway!!!), plus I get into bed too late anyways these days :lol:

I won't say anything about your reading habits in regard of the LOTR book :D
And sure I will lend you the JGTHM book. Just remind me of bringing it with me next time we meet :rolleyes:

Marlies said:
I have to start with LOTR book 3, but didn't get to it yet. Need a little break after reading so much to get 2 finished before the movie (and the movie ended sooner anyway!!!), plus I get into bed too late anyways these days :lol:

Well I finally got to start in book 3!! And it's like I've never been away. I love that Middle Earth so much.... I don't think I ever need another book in my life (although I still have to read Jean Auel's 4th book of her Clan of the Cavebear series :cool:) - at the rate I'm going I can easily start all over again after I finish it and it should keep me happy for the next 6 years or so, after which I can re-read it AGAIN of course. :lol:

Marlies said:
I can easily start all over again after I finish it
...which you will hopefully achieve until upcoming december, right? :heh:

In the meantime I had started to read this novel by Ekman......stopped reading it 2 weeks ago though. Strange style of writing, it didn't really appeal to me......so currently only reading RockHard and Legacy :D :p

NR: MOJO magazine (the one with Paul McArtney on the cover) :)

Good issue, also has an article on Phil Spector, and how goofy he is. :D

I've heard a lot of praise for Hornby and this book in particular, that's what made me pick it up in the first place.
Don't know what I expected but I was far from being blown away. Frankly, I don't know what's so great about it. Hehe....I've always been different than other kids ;)

I read two books last week while I was in Sweden:
Max Goldt's "Der Krapfen auf dem Sims" and Simon Winchester's "Der Mann, der die Wörter liebte" (about how the Oxford English Dictionary came into being).

I've just started reading Nick Hornby's "About a boy" (something English this time...) and I already like this much more than "High Fidelity" (of which I was quite disappointed)

I needed to resurrect this thread for I've read a few books that I'm pretty impressed with. Yeah esp since our last vacation I've been reading a lot more again, though still usually after I went to bed.

I finished Lord Of The Rings shortly after our holiday, phew! I don't think I'll ever read a book THAT good. But the two I read after that were definitely as captivating.

Jean Auel, 5th book in the series about Ayla (Clan of the Cavebear being the first), The Shelters Of Stone. My neighbour had read it before me and she said that even when it's been years since you read the other books, you'd immediately be back in the story as soon as you start in this book. She was right. AWESOME books! I couldn't put it away at night, cost me quite some sleep;)

Same happened with the next book. And I didn't expect it for it was not fantasy. Not fiction even. It was a book by Ffyona Campbell, the first (only?) woman to walk around the world (ending in 1993). This book's English title is On Foot Through Africa and tells the story of her adventures during her walk through Africa, over 16000 miles from Kaapstad to Tanger, including longer breaks because evacuations and such. She's a very strongwilled woman and writes with a lot of dark humor, some personal stuff and self criticism at times. It's all pretty to the point and immediately grabbed me. I have a new HERO because it's incredible what she had to endure (malaria and other diseases, swarms of dangerous flies/musquitos/bugs, predators, people harassing or stoning her thinking she was some bad ghost, thieves, and as a anti climax a lot of sexual intimidations and attacks in morrocco where men seem to think that a white woman on her own is just out on sex. they stopped and stared and masterbated on the spot). Impressive. I tried to find more info on her, I'm interested in what she's up to these days, but I can only find a few older articles. She had already walked through the States and later on came clean on having skipped a few thousand miles because of getting ill/pregnant, it kept eating at her and years later she confessed, but also went back to walk those miles. Some articles slayed her for the deceit, I say it's still an immense thing she did and I have nothing but respect and admiration for her!

So what to read next?? I bought another book by her 2nd hand, still have to get it. It's the final book of 3 (1=Feet Of Clay about the Australian walk, 2=On Foot Through Africa), I think it's Around The World, the Whole Story or something like that.
In the meantime I started in a fantasy book again, one by Terry Brooks, The Sword Of Shannara. It's nice, but a shameless copy of LOTR ingredients! Anyway... I'm off to bed now to continue in it hehehe..

Man, I'd never thought I'd post so much about books... Cora aren't you proud of me now???:)

Just finished the Da Vinci Code ( Sakrileg). Actually I like other Dan Brown books better, but it was ok. Just listening to the radio, the movie started today in Germany, and they say it is no good. I don´t like cinema anyway, prefer books.

Marlies said:
Cora aren't you proud of me now???:)

Haha.....yeah, totally!
I've of course been reading a couple of books recently as well although there was nothing so outstanding among them that I would want to write summaries about them here. The last was a Swedish crime novel, "Solstorm" by Åsa Larsson. Currently reading "Der Mann, der für einen Knopf verkauft wurde" (original title is "Savage. The life and times by Jemmy Button") by Nick Hazlewood, a story about how natives from Tierra del Fuego were cast into civilized world to be educated and converted to christianity. Sounds more interesting than it's actually written imho. But well, I have another pile of books waiting for me ;)

As for the "Da Vinci Code" Marlies.....I haven't read it yet either o_O
I've only read his other book "Illuminati" so far and even though it certainly was rather thrilling and entertaining I don't see why there is SUCH a buzz about his books. It's really like Harry Potter for adults :D (but well, I liked the Potter books too, hehe). It's a bit over the top....the further I read the more I thought one of the main figures (who only is a scientist) turned into James Bond :heh: (smth for Andy I guess :p )

I'm getting rid of half of our books and came across another one I read since the vacation, but it wasn't very good. It was supposed to be the story before "Mists Of Avalon" and I thought it was also from Marion Bradley but it said "Marion Bradley's Voorvaderen van Avalon" (Ancestors Of Avalon) and another writer-name - I still intend to read the unread books I still have by Marion, but this one I'm selling :rolleyes:

come on guys.. SOME of you have been reading, I just know it!

I've been reading another book by Ffyona Campbell, the last one talking about all her walks across several continents, her fuck up that made her guinness record illegal and how she went back to the States and made up for it. So incredible what she did... :worship:

Then another real story.. the story of the lioness Elsa (and later on her cubs) by Joy Adamson, who raised a small lion and learned it to adapt to the wild again, which was spectacular at the time (around 1960). The first part was released and filmed as Born Free. A real page turner if you love animals (and/or Africa)!

I have been travelling a lot lately, that gives me time to read on the plane. The last one was Kathy Reichs "Mit Haut und Haar" (Bare Bones) before that I think it was Robin Cook "Der Experte" (I think the english title is either "Anthrax" or "Vector", don´t remeber). I enjoy these kind of Medical-Thrillers. It is entertaining and relaxing.

Right now I am reading a book about raising kinds. It is a serious meant book, but it is writen in a funny/ ironic way. It really offers some good ideas (and they work !! :) ) and it is fun to read.