NR: Now Reading Thread:)

Hehe, no offence taken. I simply wasn't sure how you meant it. For me being German it acutally isn't that hard. Not that hard to read that is. It's f***ing difficult to understand spoken Swedish at times, not to mention pronunciation :D But I love to hear it :) I'm not studying it all too seriously, if I did I would be much better by now. But at least I'm attending a Swedish language course and will continue doing so, so I should improve even though it's going slowly.

Any thoughts on the discworld series? (Terry Pratchett) I feel like reading some unorthodox fantasy. Did I miss out or am I just as happy without it? At the moment I'm reading yet another James Herbert. Nobody True. I just started so I can't say anything about it just yet...

Urban breed said:
Any thoughts on the discworld series? (Terry Pratchett) I feel like reading some unorthodox fantasy. Did I miss out or am I just as happy without it? At the moment I'm reading yet another James Herbert. Nobody True. I just started so I can't say anything about it just yet...
You will definitely not be just as happy without it, you should really start reading some Discworld novels, it will change your life.
supergrin.gif

However, it's very, very difficult to recommend one single book to start with, since there are so many really good ones. Of course, for every rock musician "Rolling Stones" is a must, although it does not count among the Discworld highlights in my opinion.

- Daniel

Ok, I'll take your word for it. Hope you're not pulling my leg. I just placed the order for the leather-bound Edition of the Unseen library. It includes The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic/Equal Rites/Mort/Sourcery/Wyrd Sisters/Pyramids/Guards! Guards! and Eric. Don't tell me I made the wrong decision. I will have some reading to do this month. Hmmm, and maybe next month too... :Smug:

Hey Urban,

no, how could I ever be pulling your leg? What you ordered there is actually a very nice compilation. The novels included there are Pratchett's early work. He has developed his writing and the world from then on to a certain degree, but I think these are perfect to begin with, especially, since most of the important characters of the series are introduced there. So please let me know what you think of it when you have read some of the books.

Cheers,

Daniel

That kind of thing happens from time to time. Especially when one takes on a new author. Sometimes it doesn't matter. That is when the books are linked only by the main character(s). This is sort of typically thriller/whodunnit type of books. Oh, and by the way, Kathy Reichs? Any good? Sort of like another Kay Scarpetta , right? Will I benefit from reading them in the order they were published? I haven't gotten the discworld books yet so I thought I might as well check out something completely different 'til then.

I just bought "Made In Sweden" by Torbjörn Flygt. I couldn't really figure out what it's about by reading the "discription" on it....but it's _something_ about Sweden, so it must be good :D

I agree with everything on Astrid Lindgren :) It are meant to be children´s books but after all they are written by an adult. So I like to read her works even today, (but in german, I have no idea of swedish). She was a cool lady!

Apart from that, I intend to start reading some expressionistic authors like Georg Trakl. Let´s see how I like that.

Astrid Lindgren rules. I also read a biography about her once :)
The book I posted about before left me indifferent so far *shrugs*
And I ordered "Fotografens död" by Mankell - it is supposed to be written in easy-to-read-and-understand Swedish. Haha.....I doubt I will agree on this :D

You read a lot more from Swedish authors than I do. Come to think of it, the last time I read a swedish author was back in '96, (I think), and, heh, I don't even remember who wrote it. It was one of those ok-type books. :)