Nu-Metal

InfantChaos

Enemy Of Satan
Nov 6, 2007
your local deli!
I posted this here because i wasn't sure if i would get flamed for posting it in the GMD forum.

But the main reason for this post is to find out why nu-metal is so hated, and to find out if there is anyone else who likes bands from this genre on this forum.

I frankly do not see any reason for there to be hatred for the genre, and any reason for it not to be included under the metal genre.

Any opinions or reasoning.

And please, lets not have people just posting 'because its shit music' sort of posts.

Reactions: Sonic Titan
I'm not even sure what "nu metal" actually is. Is it the stuff that XM's "Liquid Metal" station plays ? Havent heard a song on there yet that I liked, of course I cant listen to it for more than one minute either.

How many times do people need to wonder about this?

Most people dislike nu-metal because it lacks any real sense of mature theme subjects or interesting musical points. Most people get bored of Slipknots take on death metal meets hard rock and rap. People find Korn's downtuned groove boring also. The idea of nu-metal is just immature and, for the most part, only relates to angst ridden teenagers.

Yeah, old Mudvayne, old Slipknot, and System of a Down is good stuff. But their musical progressions are into more rockish music, and I dont really like their current stuff. Stuff like Sevendust,Ill Nino, Linkin Park, and Limp Bizkit isnt very good though.

XM plays Metalcore too, but it plays Mudvayne and Slipknot songs but not System of a Down or any other Nu Metal, no Korn either.

I like Linkin Park. Mostly for their songwriting. People say its all about teenage depression but the thing is depression feels the same way no matter what age you are. Just because a lot of their fans are teenagers does not make their lyrics about teenage depression. And I think their lyrics are better than a lot of emotional lyrics.

Just look here.

Hawthorne Heights - Ohio Is For Lovers

Hey there,
I know it's hard to feel like I don't care at all.
Where you are and how you feel.
With these lights off as these wheels
keep rolling on and on. (and on and on and on...)
Slow things down or speed them up.
Not enough or way too much. (and on and on and on...)
How are you when I'm gone?

[Chorus:]
And I can't make it on my own.
(And I can't make it on my own.)
Because my heart is in Ohio.
So cut my wrists and black my eyes.
(Cut my wrists and black my eyes)
So I can fall asleep tonight, or die.
Because you kill me.
You know you do, you kill me well.
You like it too, and I can tell.
You never stop until my final breath is gone.

Spare me just three last words.
"I love you" is all she heard.
I'll wait for you, but I can't wait forever.
[x2]

Because you kill me.

(YOU...KILL...ME...WELL)
My final breath is gone
So I can fall asleep tonight

Because you kill me.

(YOU...KILL...ME...WELL)
[to fade]

Linkin Park - Somewhere I belong

(When this began)
I had nothing to say
And I get lost in the nothingness inside of me
(I was confused)
And I let it all out to find
That I’m not the only person with these things in mind
(Inside of me)
But all the vacancy the words revealed
Is the only real thing that I’ve got left to feel
(Nothing to lose)
Just stuck/ hollow and alone
And the fault is my own, and the fault is my own

[Chorus]
I wanna heal, I wanna feel what I thought was never real
I wanna let go of the pain I’ve held so long
(Erase all the pain till it’s gone)
I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m close to something real
I wanna find something I’ve wanted all along
Somewhere I belong

And I’ve got nothing to say
I can’t believe I didn’t fall right down on my face
(I was confused)
Looking everywhere only to find
That it’s not the way I had imagined it all in my mind
(So what am I)
What do I have but negativity
’Cause I can’t justify the way, everyone is looking at me
(Nothing to lose)
Nothing to gain/ hollow and alone
And the fault is my own, and the fault is my own

[Repeat Chorus]

I will never know myself until I do this on my own
And I will never feel anything else, until my wounds are healed
I will never be anything till I break away from me
I will break away, I'll find myself today

[Repeat Chorus]

I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m somewhere I belong
I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m somewhere I belong
Somewhere I belong

If you've ever been depressed before you would find Linkin Park is very good at capturing what it feels like.

Depression feels the same no matter what age you are, but I think most well adjusted adults aren't depressed about trying to fit in or some girl they like that left them. It's about teenage depression because they're issues people go through in middle school/early high school.

Well yeah thats true but none of Linkin Park's lyrics are about chicks dumping them (from what I can remember, haven't listened to them in a while).

I don't think that song is about not fitting in either. I think its about inner struggles, like not seeing a point in life and stuff. I dunno thats just my interpretation, to find out what its really about I have to ask the members.

I frankly do not see any reason for there to be hatred for the genre, and any reason for it not to be included under the metal genre.

It depends on the Nu-Metal, there would be some I would say is Metal and some I would say isn't. Like Korn and Linkin Park, in my opinion they are not Metal.

A major factor is also that most of that stuff is incredibly manufactured. Especially the army of clone bands that was unleashed by the labels after Korn made it big. I'd much rather listen to music by someone who actually poured their heart and soul into their art than some overproduced marketed-to-teenage-demographic album which is what most of the popular nu-metal bands are. It has no soul whatsoever. Their music, their image, it's all too artificial and manufactured.

On top of that it is musically uninteresting because it is made to appeal to as wide an audience as possible which is why it is all accessibly heavy (like it sounds "heavy" but at the same time also very easy to listen to, courtesy of the overproduced sound, and way too much emphasis on groove and syncopation) and just generally simplistic.

For the most part nu-metal are the boy band equivalent of the metal scene.

so theres a difference between nu metal and metalcore ? Way to many genre titles now, most of it sounds the same musically not individually. So tell me what genres these bands are considered? I'm not saying these bands sound the same nor do I imagine they are all the same "genre" I also know they are older and not part of the current "scene"
Disturbed
Godsmack
Shinedown
Breaking Benjamin
Candlebox
Tool

Well yeah thats true but none of Linkin Park's lyrics are about chicks dumping them (from what I can remember, haven't listened to them in a while).

I don't think that song is about not fitting in either. I think its about inner struggles, like not seeing a point in life and stuff. I dunno thats just my interpretation, to find out what its really about I have to ask the members.

Thats just what it came across as to me reading through those lyrics you posted real quick. Also the music is a lot more angsty than depressing in my opinion. Not so much that your depressed but you're depressed and angry at the world or something.

XM Liquid Metal fucking sucks! Occasionally they play something good but it's usually just garbage IMO.

Oh, so that Xm staion is metalcore. Well it is metal, but that doenst mean its good... for me anyhow. Then whats nu metal and what are the bands I asked considered?

XM has way too much Metalcore, it does have some Dying Fetus, Dimmu, Emperor, Satyricon, Cradle, and Morbid Angel on a regular basis though, some good stuff but too much bullshit on it.

A major factor is also that most of that stuff is incredibly manufactured...

ABSOLUTELY. The music is very simple most of the times & it's not the least bit rewarding to listen to. I take it that a lot of Nu-Metal also dabbles in mixing Rap with downtuned power chord metal & no intricate playing from any of the members. It's all "heavy" & very easily digestible for the masses.

There are people that makes TONS & TONS of money to sit in a room & predict what the next big trend SHOULD be so when the market is just right they can pounce out with their new metal-boy-band or whatever is going to make them money. It's looked at as nothing but a business & these corporate guys view the people they sell albums to as sheep. I doubt that many of those big Nu-Metal bands even write their own songs these days. They are "performers" & not "musicians" & there is a big difference. "Performers" sport an image that can make money, are dependable on stage" & are in it for the money. "Musicians" are in it because they like doing it, they're passionate, they want to make music for people to enjoy, & sure they want money.

MetalCore is always a term that baffled me though, because a lot of people hate it, but most don't have good reasons why. MetalCore seems to be a loosely definted term a lot of times. A lot of it sucks like Killswitch Engage with their hard/soft pussy vocals & predictable arrangements & overtones, but I've heard a lot of bands that are loosely labeled MetalCore who don't do the pussy vocals & actually make great music & ub3r-kvlt-soop3r-troo-el33t-m3tal-h3ads still hate them just because some guy on the internet told them they were MetalCore. I guess I don't like much of it in reality, but "The Faceless" is an awesome band that I've seen get hate around here, but they're more Death than Metalcore.