Nu-Metal

I don't like it because the music is watered down and tame.

I like metalcore, however, because the music isn't necessarily watered down and can be a substantial genre free of mainstream qualities (when it wants to be).

frankly it all sounds like less complex rehashed Metalica riffs with grunt/runt vocals to me.... oh yea... and you must use the word fuck at least once a minute or your just not cool, the more you use it the cooler you are........ lol

Good post JHJ and very par for the course of the music industry since at least the 50's.

People say its all about teenage depression but the thing is depression feels the same way no matter what age you are. Just because a lot of their fans are teenagers does not make their lyrics about teenage depression. And I think their lyrics are better than a lot of emotional lyrics.

But their lyrics are all about teenage depression, and emo bands like them.

"Oh noes i dunz fit in".
"oh noez i got dumped"
"oh noez I cant get a girl!"
"Waaah. Im gunna cut mah wristz"

As opposed to stuff like "I've got no job and a baby to support and it's christmas."

They talk more about the feeling, not really what causes it. I don't think LP ever talked about cutting wrists, or getting dumped or any of that stuff.

Anyway its a pointless arguement I have seen a million times. And it never goes anywhere and just ends up wasting space.

And on the Nu-Metal being Metal subject. I think Nu-Metal lacks the drive or bounce that Metal has.

No, Linkin Park are more about not fitting in, and feeling awkward.

"Crawling in my skin"
I got a face on the inside laughing at me or something.
I won't be ignored.

Couple of the Linkin park lyrics I remember from my time of listening to them.

They talk more about the feeling, not really what causes it. I don't think LP ever talked about cutting wrists, or getting dumped or any of that stuff.

Just look here.

Hawthorne Heights - Ohio Is For Lovers

Hey there,
I know it's hard to feel like I don't care at all.
Where you are and how you feel.
With these lights off as these wheels
keep rolling on and on. (and on and on and on...)
Slow things down or speed them up.
Not enough or way too much. (and on and on and on...)
How are you when I'm gone?

[Chorus:]
And I can't make it on my own.
(And I can't make it on my own.)
Because my heart is in Ohio.
So cut my wrists and black my eyes.
(Cut my wrists and black my eyes)

So I can fall asleep tonight, or die.
Because you kill me.
You know you do, you kill me well.
You like it too, and I can tell.
You never stop until my final breath is gone.

Spare me just three last words.
"I love you" is all she heard.
I'll wait for you, but I can't wait forever.

[x2]

Because you kill me.

(YOU...KILL...ME...WELL)
My final breath is gone
So I can fall asleep tonight

Because you kill me.

(YOU...KILL...ME...WELL)
[to fade]

:rolleyes:

Those are Hawthorne Heights lyrics. I was comparing their songwriting to Linkin Park's.

A major factor is also that most of that stuff is incredibly manufactured. Especially the army of clone bands that was unleashed by the labels after Korn made it big. I'd much rather listen to music by someone who actually poured their heart and soul into their art than some overproduced marketed-to-teenage-demographic album which is what most of the popular nu-metal bands are. It has no soul whatsoever. Their music, their image, it's all too artificial and manufactured.

On top of that it is musically uninteresting because it is made to appeal to as wide an audience as possible which is why it is all accessibly heavy (like it sounds "heavy" but at the same time also very easy to listen to, courtesy of the overproduced sound, and way too much emphasis on groove and syncopation) and just generally simplistic.

For the most part nu-metal are the boy band equivalent of the metal scene.

Check out my band Omega Acolytes. It's my heart and soul in nu metal!

YouTube Omega Acolytes

Anyway its a pointless arguement I have seen a million times. And it never goes anywhere and just ends up wasting space.

And on the Nu-Metal being Metal subject. I think Nu-Metal lacks the drive or bounce that Metal has.
I agree. Completely! No quarrels about it, nu metal rules!

Don't care for Linkin Park,etc.... they drive around in escalades and torture people,etc... because they bitch n complain. And no one probably knows why.

I posted this here because i wasn't sure if i would get flamed for posting it in the GMD forum.

But the main reason for this post is to find out why nu-metal is so hated, and to find out if there is anyone else who likes bands from this genre on this forum.

I frankly do not see any reason for there to be hatred for the genre, and any reason for it not to be included under the metal genre.

Any opinions or reasoning.

And please, lets not have people just posting 'because its shit music' sort of posts.

Nah, you could have posted this on the Metal page. For what it's worth, the scene was the last time Rock was relevant to the public. Shortly after the decline of the genre Rap/R n' B reared its ugly head and Rock has never been the same since.

The bands in general weren't bad and some nailed some good tunes. Limp Bizkit in particular was a good group and Chocolate Starfish was a good album. A much maligned scene which had its moments.