nyc 2/23 setlist

Stilgar said:
When he's using an american computer, without the swedish characters (ÅÄÖ), it's easier for him to just use another account without the Å.
OK I was just wondering.

i think they brainwashed axe to learn all their songs, cuz when i was talking to him after the show he didnt know wtf was going on lol some lady there had to explain where he was and everything..it was quite funny...and she had a cool belt

TheApostle said:
No he didnt say that.

And I thought Axe was awesome during the intro to Closure so.... maybe thats just me though.

Also, found a shitty video from the NYC show if anyone was interested in getting an idea of what it was like.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=398611569348631&q=opeth

The video would be mine.

I'm not at home, won't be for 2 weeks. Can't edit the sound. :(
I've got pics too.

I also have 3 (shitty) videos up from the concert in November at Webster Hall.

Melinda5 said:
The video would be mine.

I've got pics too.

I also have 3 (shitty) videos up from the concert in November at Webster Hall.

Well, I thank you for your trouble of the shitty videos. It is not particularly the optimal way to enjoy an Opeth performance when you are trying to steady a camera at the same time. Get's in the way of headbanging.

As an aside, I was hoping to see Axenrod as the last two times I went to Opeth, cabinet speakers blocked him and he was off to the right and on the down low. Had to laugh that you had the same perspective from your POV. Oh well.

LouMinotti said:
<<

I didn't go to this performance, but I was at Towson last week , and before that at Jaxx in November '05 and before that at the 9:30 Club in Jan. of 04.
My complaint isn't so much the setlist as it is no Martin Lopez. Axe is able, and certainly a good drummer, but he is no Lopez and IMO Lopez is an integral member of the band. So no, if I had known Lopez wasn't going to perform last week -- and that was a well kept secret as no one knew until their first show in the states -- I would not have purchased tickets, especially since there was only a slight variation of the songs that they played in November. AND Recher Theatre is the shittiest venue I've ever been to.
I thought it was completely beneath them, this setting. Unless you were with the first ten bodies deep, it wasn't loud at all, and I could hear people having conversations all around me. I don't like conversation with my Opeth. I don't understand why they didn't book 9:30 club again. <shrug>
No disrespect, but I'm talking about the New York show and not about which drummer was playing!

Melinda5 said:

What kind of file is it? MPG? MOV? AVI?

I might be able to toss them into ProTools and clean up the sound...

froghawk said:
I really wonder why they're running away from playing Harlequin Forest live. The only albums they've played in their entirety live (excluding interludes) are Orchid, Still Life and Damnation, and it's also true that they only ever played 3 songs from Deliverance live, but that album only had 5 songs, not 8. I can even see why they don't play any of GR's soft songs, since they're more experimental, but why don't they play BtM or HF?

Maybe they are saving the songs for future gigs??

Mirrored Ghost said:
It seems like some people here are trying to falsify what has been advertised for the show but truth of the matter is..... what you wanted to hear vs. what was said to be heard are two different things.

Mirrored Ghost said:
lol @ tricky wordplay. I was repeating someone else's words (Dark One) and saying "no, that's not what it reads" to him. Blame him for the tricky word play.

OPETH OFFICIAL WEBSITE said:
Chronology MCMXCIV - MMV A live observation by Opeth"

Yes folks, that is the "title" for three exclusive gigs scheduled for NYC's Town hall centre (23/2), Chicago's House of blues (2/3) and LA's Wiltern theatre (14/3). These special seated events will consist of a chronologically played setlist, starting with music from the very first record "Orchid" and ending with vibes from the latest opus "Ghost reveries". These extended sets are exclusive to the three dates and there won't be any support bands on these nights. A good advice is to get your tickets quick as these are bound to sell out fast! Opeth and crew will also bring in extra production and screens in order to try and make this the ultimate Opeth live experience! The band promise a very varied setlist and songs never ever played before live! The setlist boasts no less than 4 songs that never before have been played on American soil and several others that haven't been played for years!

Don't tell me again that I'm making shit up, it's beyond tiresome. You can EASILY interperet what was posted on the website to mean that the NYC, Chicago and L.A. shows would be the ones getting 4 songs never before played on American soil exclusive to those shows. Obviously that ended up not being the case - but by reading what was stated, you can EASILY come to the conclusion I did. Stop making it look like I'm trying to cause trouble when I'm not.

Dark One said:
Don't tell me again that I'm making shit up, it's beyond tiresome. You can EASILY interperet what was posted on the website to mean that the NYC, Chicago and L.A. shows would be the ones getting 4 songs never before played on American soil exclusive to those shows. Obviously that ended up not being the case - but by reading what was stated, you can EASILY come to the conclusion I did. Stop making it look like I'm trying to cause trouble when I'm not.

I can totally argue this. And I can easily interpret that the extended setlist, not the songs played, were exclusive to those 3 dates. And the 4 songs never before played were those as Mikael said, and before this tour, they werent. They had 4 songs that were never played before this tour on American soil. They decided to be generous and give other shows a taste of the songs (GoP, UtWM), and everyone is acting like it was a big deal. The setlist definitely was special and varied. They played at least one song from every one of their albums. Thats varied for you. This tour so far just had some good setlists, and Axe can only remember so many of the Opeth songs, so what the hell are you expecting? Im sure with Lopez on the tour the show would have been a little more varied, but give the man a break, he learned all the songs to the T. And since Axe can only remember so many, to fill in the rest of the normal setlists, they added a few special ones. So every show on this tour had some special songs on them, but just not as exclusive as the Chronology show. Take your bitching elsewhere, the show was excellent.

lol @ arguing over this, its up to the band, fuck you dumbass fans, youll sit down shutup and accept it, or piss off and go listen to someone else, the preciousness of some people on here is hilarious

Mirrored Ghost said:
You need to go back and read what I said in the beginning of my #2 point.

This is where I stop posting on the subject. No need for the cursing.

Well one of the words they used was that it would be a variety of material. The majority of the material was new stuff from the last three albums. Those three albums aren't even half of their discography, yet it still takes up the majority of their setlist. This is what disappoints me most. I think it could have been spread out better over the course of their entire discography, rather than still heavily favoring the new material.

Led Opeth said:
i think they brainwashed axe to learn all their songs, cuz when i was talking to him after the show he didnt know wtf was going on lol some lady there had to explain where he was and everything..it was quite funny...and she had a cool belt

Didn't even no the drums he used on the last tour or the cymbals he used for that show :lol:

EternalMetal said:
I can totally argue this. And I can easily interpret that the extended setlist, not the songs played, were exclusive to those 3 dates. And the 4 songs never before played were those as Mikael said, and before this tour, they werent. They had 4 songs that were never played before this tour on American soil. They decided to be generous and give other shows a taste of the songs (GoP, UtWM), and everyone is acting like it was a big deal. The setlist definitely was special and varied. They played at least one song from every one of their albums. Thats varied for you. This tour so far just had some good setlists, and Axe can only remember so many of the Opeth songs, so what the hell are you expecting? Im sure with Lopez on the tour the show would have been a little more varied, but give the man a break, he learned all the songs to the T. And since Axe can only remember so many, to fill in the rest of the normal setlists, they added a few special ones. So every show on this tour had some special songs on them, but just not as exclusive as the Chronology show. Take your bitching elsewhere, the show was excellent.

EternalMetal, hats off to you. I was just about to reply directly to Dark One but I decided not to because you took the words right out of my mouth..... especially what I put in bold.

The quote from the official site clearly states that the "extended sets" are to be exclusive to the three dates. No more, no less. If people misinterpret that to mean that certain songs will only be played at those three dates (which it clearly did NOT say that), and then later refuse to acknowledge and accept (once someone explained it to them) that that was indeed not the case.... well, that's their problem.

Good for you, me and everyone else here who enjoyed this show through and through.

Cheers ;)

^^ here here.. Ive read through this whole thread and can't believe some ppl's reactions.

For all those old fans out there: you were lucky enough to see them when they were growing and witness them playing their old stuff at the time, if I had known about opeth 8 years ago I wouldn't be pissed now that they are playing new stuff. You had your chance to see them play the real old stuff, and yea it would be great to see it, but that was a pretty killer set so I wouldn't be complaining if I were you.

Just be thankful that you got to go and see such an epic experience because if I had the chance to go and see that show I would have in a second. You were soo fortunate to have the opportunity to be a part of that experience, and I think a lot of you complainers are taking that for granted.