nyc 2/23 setlist

AFairJudgement0 said:
^^ here here.. Ive read through this whole thread and can't believe some ppl's reactions.

For all those old fans out there: you were lucky enough to see them when they were growing and witness them playing their old stuff at the time, if I had known about opeth 8 years ago I wouldn't be pissed now that they are playing new stuff. You had your chance to see them play the real old stuff, and yea it would be great to see it, but that was a pretty killer set so I wouldn't be complaining if I were you.

Just be thankful that you got to go and see such an epic experience because if I had the chance to go and see that show I would have in a second. You were soo fortunate to have the opportunity to be a part of that experience, and I think a lot of you complainers are taking that for granted.

Amen.

Finally back from new york to add my opinion. I can't believe how much whining and complaining is going on about this show! I would say it's one of if not THE best opeth experiences ive had. I've seen them 6 times now, everytime possible since 2003 and this was just an incredible show to witness.

A lot of complaints about the setlist, but the night and the silent water is what first made me addicted to Opeth, so to be able to see that live made my life. Under the weeping moon was awesome as well. Being able to witness the white cluster solo's and have them actually pull that song off well was amazing.

I have to give a tip of the hat to Axe here, too. Last time I saw them in Worcester, and i thought axe was just okay. Well this time he was really on the ball. Fantastic drumming, especially during closure as someone said.

I didn't know what to expect going into this show, and to be honest i didnt really try to predict anything. I just knew i'd be hearing some new songs and that Opeth would be great as usual. I ended up being right and the show was absolutely fantastic.

Way too many whiners on here...

What the fuck ever. I love Opeth (fuck, I've got their fucking logo tattooed on my leg), but damn dude...this shit has been played LOTS of times before.

also, after reading my post I would like to add: fuck.

Mirrored Ghost said:
This is where I stop posting on the subject.

Mirrored Ghost said:
The quote from the official site clearly states that the "extended sets" are to be exclusive to the three dates. No more, no less. If people misinterpret that to mean that certain songs will only be played at those three dates (which it clearly did NOT say that), and then later refuse to acknowledge and accept (once someone explained it to them) that that was indeed not the case.... well, that's their problem.

I don't know how many times I have to tell people that had a great time and were satisfied by what they saw at the NYC that I'm happy for them. People are allowed to express a negative opinion and disappointment if they want to and truly feel that way. Leave the negative opinions alone and you won't have to worry about seeing those same people respond when you continue to attack their credibility. There are far more positive than negative opinions so leave it alone, it's not worth your time.

Dark One said:
Wouldn't be a need to repeat if people would leave it alone and stop attacking it. :zzz:
need to have the last word? pretty childish really. everyone has heard what you and the others had to say, you've heard us. someone lock this damn thread.

Right just got back to England, personally I loved the gig. I can see perhaps where some people are coming from, but if that setlist had been pulled out at random the reactions would have been so very different. I think people had created an idea of what their dream setlist would be, and due to the special nature of this show so much stuff was expected. C'mon for me to be one of the very first people to ever see The Night... almost justified the cost of flight, ticket, accomadation in NY, the 2 days of work I missed, and expenses in the city itself.

I made lots of notes during the show so I will type them up at some point but I am heavily jetlagged. Basically I think the only way people could regard this show as a dissapointment is by having set their hopes stupidly high. With such a busy touring schedule as theirs to relearn and practice songs as complex as some of their older material would be nigh on impossible.

I loved it and would do it again in a flash, but then I am a self confessed nerd!

Honestly, I think the main complaint was more that the setlist was exactly the same as the setlist on the rest of the tour with the addition of three common songs from recent tours, one incredibly rare song, and The Leper Affinity, which is fairly common but not recently.

Blackhorse_Experience said:
lol @ reading all that.. j/k

What was on Mike's forearm? Looked like words forming a circle. A tattoo??!??
A tattoo which says "Sörskogen 1974", place and date of birth.

BTW: Awesome setlist. Dammit, be happy you guys had the chance to see this concert.
A ballet, laser/light effects, seated, monitors, 2 1/2 hours Opeth incl. TNATSW. Say whatever you want but this sounds VERY SPECIAL for a DM band from Stockholm, Sweden. ;)

Like I said before, and i have to reiterate, They had a substitute drummer. He had to learn all of the songs from their original set, AND the special ones. This must have been so hard, because he hit every damn note. To ask this guy to learn 5 more songs would have been impossible. He was maxed out as it is, and from the talks of it, he is going crazy.

NickFBM said:
Right just got back to England, personally I loved the gig. I can see perhaps where some people are coming from, but if that setlist had been pulled out at random the reactions would have been so very different. I think people had created an idea of what their dream setlist would be, and due to the special nature of this show so much stuff was expected. C'mon for me to be one of the very first people to ever see The Night... almost justified the cost of flight, ticket, accomadation in NY, the 2 days of work I missed, and expenses in the city itself.

I made lots of notes during the show so I will type them up at some point but I am heavily jetlagged. Basically I think the only way people could regard this show as a dissapointment is by having set their hopes stupidly high. With such a busy touring schedule as theirs to relearn and practice songs as complex as some of their older material would be nigh on impossible.

I loved it and would do it again in a flash, but then I am a self confessed nerd!

I think I saw you there... Row C (or B, or D), balcony, way over on the right, with the huge red bag?

mylovedenied said:
I think I saw you there... Row C (or B, or D), balcony, way over on the right, with the huge red bag?

Didn't think it was that huge, but it was holding all my stuff for the weekend!

Yeah have long blond hair, in seat C 36 I think.

Probably a good idea, but first let me remind all the whiners that there are plenty of us who have never gotten to see Opeth live and who would be very happy to trade places with you.