Official Pink Floyd Worshipping Thread

Say whatever you want about it, but it's truly a fantastic work of musicianship and songwriting. Some of Gilmour's best moments are on that disc.

Say whatever you want about it, but it's truly a fantastic work of musicianship and songwriting. Some of Gilmour's best moments are on that disc.

it's pretty boring tbh and doesn't have the same... 'magic' without waters' vox

I'm a big fan of all of their material, whether it's the deranged Barret material, experimental pre-DSOTM, their polished "classic albums" or the post-Waters material. I'd say PF are easily one of my top favourite bands.

Top five albums would probably be

1) Piper at the Gates of Dawn
2) Meddle
3) Wish You Were Here
4) Animals
5) Dark Side of the Moon

Not a very surprising list now that I look at it, but it's hard for me to pick with this band. Each release has it's own thing about it, saying something different.

As for The Wall with "filler", you have to consider that it is a concept album and the tracks are not intended to be heard as singles. It's one entire composition that tells a story. It's kind of like picking up a book or movie and going to a random part and hating it because there's no immediate interest. Still one can argue that an album with tracks allows the listener to pick and choose tracks but I still think to listen to it you need to hear the whole thing in one sitting.

The Wall film actually isn't a bad way of taking it all in. I thought it was well done.

Anyone hear Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade's live cover of Animals? It's fantastic! He doesn't embellish it in the slightest but stays very true to the original. In an interview, Claypool once stated that the album Animals changed his life.

As for Pink Floyd, there is no greater piece of beautiful art as that of the song Is There Anybody Out There? Many are equal - none are greater.

Got inspired and have been playing 'The Division Bell' the entire latter half of the day. Fantastic as always. :cool: I could do without 'Take It Back', but there's no Floyd without a filler track or two, it's ok.

I shall now type a list of underrated/overlooked songs by this great and influential jazz band.

A Pillow of Winds
Atom Heart Mother suite
The Dogs of War
Sysyphus
Keep Talking
Absolutely Curtains
A Saucerful of Secrets

I shall now type a list of underrated/overlooked songs by this great and influential jazz band.

A Pillow of Winds
Atom Heart Mother suite
The Dogs of War
Sysyphus
Keep Talking
Absolutely Curtains
A Saucerful of Secrets

A Pillow of Winds is one of the most haunting, relaxing songs ever. I love listening to it when I'm going to sleep.

The thing about The Wall is that people complain about how much filler there is, but that's not the point of the album. You have to look at the album as a whole and judge it that way. You can't judge it based on individual songs and actually have an accurate opinion on it.

However, I think seeing the movie along with the music helps people to understand the nature of The Wall

I find this funny, because I think that nearly every track, even the short ones, are fantastic. It really is a solid, epic record, despite its pretentious nature.

This is actually really true. The filler tracks aren't "filler," but are very important to the record as a whole. That said, I still think they stand on their own as great compositions.
Exactly... It is a brilliant album... there are some songs I don't like, Run Like Hell for example but overall I love the album and think it's brilliant. Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Another Brick on the Wall, Mother, Vera, Goodbye Bluesky etc. And as always Gilmour's playing stands out. He's a brilliant guitarist. I think the movie is brilliant as well and goes well with the music. Definetly epic as is all their albums imo.

for some reason seeing the movie decades after the hearing the album, it made me appreaciate it even less, maybe different today, I have no explaination for this other than I found Pink to be patheticly detestable, some great songs no doubt.

I like The Division Bell. I guess it depends on your mood and what you want from it. The songwriting is exceptional. Lately I've been listening to Saucerful Of Secrets quite a bit.

A hidden gem to the younger folks,I wore out their late 70's and 80's stuff so I decided to purchase this one and was really pleased.Sometimes that unpolished retro sound does wonders.

This is what I have right now and about how much I enjoy it:

Dark Side Of the Moon > Meddle > Wish You Were Here > Animals > The Division Bell > Piper At The Gates of Dawn > The Wall

What next for me ya think?

I can't quite fathom how The Wall comes last in that list; but, to each his own.

Since Dark Side, Meddle, and Wish are your top three, it seems like you most enjoy their middle-era phase. Honestly, you can't really get any better than those records (Meddle is my personal favorite). However, you might look into Obscured By Clouds and Atom Heart Mother. Both are flawed albums in my opinion, but they're worth checking out.

Also, if you're feeling particularly patient and daring, get Ummagumma; and have fun. :cool:

I think 90's Fates Warning became my later years Pink Floyd supplement. Not saying they are the same, but atmospheric and deep mood. "Just sayin" because I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. I think some others might have done the same with Porcupine Tree ?

I love them.

The Final Cut has something about it for me, awesome album and lyrics.