One - Metallica

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
OK - I know this is an Opeth board. But I listened to One by Metallica this afternoon in the car, and I must say this too is an awesome song. Insights deep emotion like Opeth, is intense like Opeth. The song, not the band, measures up to Opethian standards, although it's musically very different.

Any comments from the Tribe of Opeth?

I could say the band measures up to Opeth in some ways.
The musicians are very talented, thats not a point to argue thats for sure. No one can say that Hammet or Lindgren are bad guitarists.

Anyways, Ive been listening to Metallica for years now, and im not tired yet and i dont think ill ever be. The new shit is bad, and i think they are really fucking stupid, but i cant deny the fact that they are still one of my favorite band today because they made some of the best albums ever. One is a great, 'complete' song if i can say and i can ever compare it to some Opeth songs: acoustic passage, fast riffing, double bass pedal playing, 2 different vocals, 7 minutes+ long...

I'm sorry to say this, but IMHO even the best songs by Metallica are inferior to any songs by Opeth. But hey, that's just my opinion.

-Villain (np: Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus - "Itku pitkästä ilosta")

I lived and breathed Metallica for like 5 years. They were the best thing going when I was growing up. Then...I got a strange vibe from the black album...a failing vibe. I didn't just give up on them though. I bought Load...and well, you know. I felt lost. My favorite band...dying. I bought Reload as a last hope. I didn't like it.

:::shutter to think of what will ever come of Opeth:::

But, isn't that what happens to all good bands? They either die or start sucking...then they're finished? Great bands never just stop making music...I guess that doesn't happen. The only comparison I can think of is Seinfeld ending when they were on top sort of...that was a new idea.

Anyways, I only can tolerate old Metallica now. Yeah, from "Justice..." back.

Lynn

An ebony raven now catches my eye,
Sitting in calmness,
Before spreading his black wings,
Reaching for the skies.

thats why emperor is stopping!!! I love them for it i think they are geniouses!

Ok....metallica is awesome and they may not be able to compare with opeth, BUT i'd say metallica has to have at least 5 songs that i like better then any opeth songs... and they are the fucking shit live..... if anyone can crush opeth live... its metallica.... i'll never stop liking metallicas older stuff.. and garage inc is fucking awesome... god i have to go on a metallica rampage now and listen to all the cds again!!! whoohooo!

check out the setlist they played at tattoo the earth

* Creeping death
* For whom the bell tolls
* Seek and destroy
* Fade to black
* Sad but true
* Whiplash
* Fuel
* No leaf clover
* King nothing
* MasterTarium (master of puppets / sanitarium)
* Battery
* Nothing else matters
* I Disappear
* One
* Turn the page
* Sandman
* Caress/So what/Die, die my darling - Medley

And i disappear was fucking awesome!!! i dont care how bad the song sucks.... haha

Metallica doesn't hold any interest for me anymore, after two horrible albums (or should I say four?) and all the arrogant rock star bullshit they've pulled against their fans I just can't bring myself to listen to them, even Ride The Lightning, an album that probably holds more memories for me than any other. And I don't see what is so great about that setlist, it's half the songs they've played to death and half the songs that want me to beat them to death. And Puppets and Sanitarium in medley form...WTF?

Metallica's One is amazing, but I still feel their best work is "Orion" I feel it is one of the best songs ever made...

Well, that song is surely a result of divine inspiration. Thanks for reminding again it exists. *finds the CD*

Some of the acoustic/electric mix parts are almost too beautiful, in particular the one just before the vocals come in for the first time. I think it's my favorite Metallimoment.

i used to fucking LOVE metallica, they were my absolute favorite. All over school i was known as the Metallica guy, Mr. Metallica, the guy in the Metallica shirts, etc. etc. But it all kind of changed once opeth and more extreme metal came around. I still love Metallica, but dont listen to them as much.... Mr. Metallica has retired, now I'm spreading the word of Opeth. Today in my Planet Earth class I told the whole class about Opeth, cause we had to bring a personal item. Of course no one had any idea what i was talking about

Orion, along with Fade To Black and longtime personal favorite Ride The Lightning, are the only Metallica songs that I will never tire of...probably my favorite non-prog instrumental of all time. I've always found One to be massively overrated and inferior to their previous two ballads...

As the trend seems to be as one descends into the netherregions of being a metal fan, I, too, was once a unspeakably massive Metallica fan. However, as my distaste for the band grew, I made the decision to sell/trade my 'tallica CD's for new stuff (I had long stopped listening to them). However, I do still think "The Unforgiven", "One", "Master of Puppets" and "Fade to Black" are (amongst others) great songs and I do enjoy them when I hear them.

At Ozzfest (later that year) I saw a guy with a homemade t-shirt that said "Selloutica" on the front and "RIP Metallica 1982-89" on the back. I thought that was interesting.

Originally posted by Demonspell
Metallica doesn't hold any interest for me anymore, after two horrible albums (or should I say four?) and all the arrogant rock star bullshit they've pulled against their fans I just can't bring myself to listen to them, even Ride The Lightning, an album that probably holds more memories for me than any other. And I don't see what is so great about that setlist, it's half the songs they've played to death and half the songs that want me to beat them to death. And Puppets and Sanitarium in medley form...WTF?

I never let the attitude/packaging/advertising affect me either way. The music is what should matter. and if you like RTl keep listening to it. Simple.