One question

Sad Madrigal

Happy
Mar 22, 2008
I express regret if there is another thread like this one and if it is, please delete this thread.
Ok, now the question:

Would you like Opeth to release a "Best of" album?

Thanks.

Nah. Feels too mainstream to me. Roadrunner might convince them to do something of the like if they feel the last album in the contract is going bad. But then there's legal rights etcetera. Anyway I don't think Opeth are popular enough to warrant a best of album, even if fans want it.

Is there a need for it?

I tend to listen to whole albums instead of particular songs but a Best Of for me would mean about 5 CDs

if you see the threads where they ask people about there top 10 lists of Opeth songs, then it is hard to imagine what would end up on a best of album ... everyone likes different ones.

Pointless. Best-of's kill the albums - which I really think are a whole and not a sum of little parts.

And as Jesse- said, The Rounfhouse Tapes is perfect - not because it's a panel of different songs by the band, but because it's beautifully played.

Well, "The Roundhouse Tapes" isn't actually the best example, because there is no song from "Deliverance"

I don't like Best-Ofs. I don't even like singles. I'm an album guy. Call me stupid, but I have that feeling that I don't do an artist justice if I only listen to one song or a best-of album. Maybe it's because I am a hobby musician myself and have also done a few songs. Every song is a special one for me and I wouldn't like people to just pick a few of them and let the rest go completely unnoticed. So, when I listen to an album I even rarely skip tracks because I think I should also give those tracks a chance that I didn't love at first sight. Those bands that put out albums that are really just some singles plus lots of filler tracks I'll simply never buy.

In short: I do not need a Best-Of Opeth. I just need more new Opeth stuff. :)

id still buy it haha, although its unessecary, if you go out and just buy an opeth album, chances are you'll love it(or you better haha) and you'll also get a feel for their music, then you can go back(or forward) and see how each album was and all the great parts of every song, so really in conclusion, theres no need for one

The Roundhouse Tapes is nearly perfect as a "best of"..if it had ANYTHING from "Deliverance" it would be perfect.

Best of albums are retarded. What the hell is the point?! Other than making more money. I can create my own a best of Opeth album by choosing songs I like and burning em onto a CD.

^ If you own the other discs. For a succesful artist, Best Of may be useful, if you want to actually buy something and have them. But for a band like Opeth, it would be useless, since most of the followers are like a "cult" and own every single disc. Plus, in a Best Of there could be 9 songs, tops, not much of a best of, huh?

I don't think you would be able to tell the difference between a best of album and a normal Opeth album seeing as nearly all Opeth albums are individually brilliant as it is!

A best of would ruin the flow of the MAYH and Still life songs that would be on there, seeing as they are concept albums. Plus a lot of Opeth fans tend to be split into 4 categories, ones who like the lighter songs, ones who like the brutal tracks, the ones who love the tracks that have a bit of everything, and the ones who like EVERYTHING. No matter what they put on it everyone is going to be dissapointed.