Opeth and the TV4

Works for me in general, but I'm referring to Opeth's music specifically. What's "great" music to me might not be so to you and vice-versa.

i think i am in the same situation as you, except the other way around ;) you have a problem with "metalheads" (i hate that term ^^) listening to nothing but metal, and being dickheads for it, and i have a problem with people going "oh yeah, opeth are really good, but there's not any other metal band in the world that is listenable"

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8034214 said:
Don't jump to the conclusion that we wanted to edit the song ourselves. We had 3 minutes and 30 seconds for the 2nd song, and that was it. We were lucky we could play for as long as we could. They timed it during rehearsals and I think it was just short of 4 minutes then which was very much on the verge of being too long...yet I guess they let it slide since it was the final thing for the morning show anyways. These shows have super strict curfews so there's little, or nothing really you can do about things like that- If we play the song in our own shows, obviously it will be the full or perhaps even extended version.

Cheers again
Mike

Extended please! Not that I'm trying to tell you guys how to play your own songs, but knowing how you like to do little jams in between songs in concert, an extended solo section at the end of Burden would be sublime! I do recall an interview with you Mike where you said Opeth's music doesn't leave a lot of room for improvisation, so with a song like Burden, it gives you that chance. Look forward to seeing you on tour again here in the States!

PS--being a musician and having a few friends who are also musicians, we agree that Watershed is a right step in a new direction. Your music and songwriting has developed into some of the most diverse arrangements I've had the pleasure of hearing. Looking forward to the next album!

i think i am in the same situation as you, except the other way around ;) you have a problem with "metalheads" (i hate that term ^^) listening to nothing but metal, and being dickheads for it, and i have a problem with people going "oh yeah, opeth are really good, but there's not any other metal band in the world that is listenable"

I didn't say there aren't any other metal bands that are listenable, but I like what Opeth brings to the table (from a musical standpoint) and I haven't found another metal band that does it quite like them. I like all sorts of music, ranging from metal to classical (I'll pass on the hip-hop/rap though :)), and when I listen to Opeth, their metal classification doesn't even come to mind.

Why do you like Opeth? And why do you listen to mostly metal? What does it do for you. Just trying to see if from your side :)

And typically speaking, musicians that listen to Opeth tend to like a wide variety of music, where as metal fans tend to listen to 90% metal. Just my observation/opinion.

Edit:
Great! Mikael should play isolation years some day

One of my absolute favorite Opeth songs. I dare anyone to find a sadder sounding Opeth song (Burden is close, but not as sad IMO).

Thanks for the edit, great work!

Format is just a little strange. It's not 16:9... just somewhere between 16:9 and 16:10. Luckily in VLC you can force it to 16:9. So we don't have long faces, so to speak.

For some reason there were black lines both on the sides and above and below in the mpeg that was recorded from tv, so I cropped those, making it a non standard resolution, but I did ask the software to keep the aspect ratio... Hmm...

EDIT: Yes. You're absolutely right. For some reason the software did something with the aspect ratio when it cropped the picture. I'll have a look at it.

Ok. Here's a video with all the Opeth related stuff from this morning.

http://www.megaupload.com/se/?d=9YELQGOY

It's an xvid encoded avi file. If you can't play it, either install the right codecs (different for each OS), or just download vlc from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.

Oh... It's 277MB big, so it might take some time to download if you have a slow connection.

We'll see if I have the time to do any subtitles. Don't hold your breath though. ;)

Big thanks, dude! :headbang:

Lols "if death should take me noooow wow ooo ow wooo"

thats pretty cool though Opeth playing on a morning show.

I didn't say there aren't any other metal bands that are listenable, but I like what Opeth brings to the table (from a musical standpoint) and I haven't found another metal band that does it quite like them. I like all sorts of music, ranging from metal to classical (I'll pass on the hip-hop/rap though :)), and when I listen to Opeth, their metal classification doesn't even come to mind.

Why do you like Opeth? And why do you listen to mostly metal? What does it do for you. Just trying to see if from your side :)

And typically speaking, musicians that listen to Opeth tend to like a wide variety of music, where as metal fans tend to listen to 90% metal. Just my observation/opinion.

no, i see what you mean, there's just a lot of retarded opethfans on this forum, so there's lots of room for misinterpretation :) i'll pass on the rap too :lol:

i like opeth for the dynamics, emotions and overall great musicianship as well as the awesome songwriting. i don't really know why i mostly listen to metal (although i listen to quite a few other genres too, not just the same amount of bands), but i guess i like good musicianship in general (not saying that metal is the epitome of musicianship - there are lots of crappy metalbands too :p)

Good performance. Burden was just cut too much for my taste. Coil was good, Mikael sang ok, Nathalie sang great.