Opeth at OZZFEST 2004

I think it's funny how Meshuggah got brought into this whole little argument.

Meshuggah released "rare trax" to tide everyone over until the next album. It is a collection of b-sides and extra stuff, duh, as clearly illustrated by the clever title. So considering it as a representation of Meshuggah at the time of it's release would be pretty misleading.

Yeah, they played Ozzfest. Did they play their "new, watered down, Nothing songs?" No, they didn't play any of them, because the album wasn't released yet. They didn't play any of those songs until they started touring with Tool. So whoever started that argument has no idea what they are talking about, since the Ozzfest setlist consisted entirely of songs from previous albums, mostly "Destroy Erase Improve" and "Chaosphere," the older, "real metal" albums. :Smug:

Granted, the production, tunings, and tempos are slightly different than previous albums, but Nothing is full on Meshuggah. I don't see how any of it is watered down or more accessable. I guess you could say the songs are slower...but that has nothing to do with selling out to Sharon Osbourne.

Opeth will play wherever they feel like they want to, whether you or I or anyone would say otherwise, so bitching about "real metal" and "trendy faggots" is pretty pointless. Personally, I would pass on seeing them at a festival such as this, unless they had a headlining slot, otherwise they would only have 45 minutes tops and would probably only play Deliverance, Drapery Falls, an Older song, and Demon of the Fall.

Reactions: ggggggu
NJ or NE metalfest>Europe fests>Art of Noise tours>NJ, FL Milwaukee metalfests>lollapoluza>ozzfest>local band fests

loebs said:
NJ or NE metalfest>Europe fests>Art of Noise tours>NJ, FL Milwaukee metalfests>lollapoluza>ozzfest>local band fests
i would hope the seattle metal fest can be squeezed in there above ozzfest at least?

we had: death angel, nevermore, strapping young lad, dragonlord, skinlab, exhumed, severed savior...just to name a few.

:yell:

Funeral Portrait said:
i would hope the seattle metal fest can be squeezed in there above ozzfest at least?

we had: death angel, nevermore, strapping young lad, dragonlord, skinlab, exhumed, severed savior...just to name a few.

:yell:
it does, if exhumed or nevermore is involved it is awsome

i would have to say "yes" for the vote..opeth absolutely deserve some time in the limelight..they have been busting their asse's for a very long time...i would hope and as far as i can see and know....nothing would change opeth as a band and their direction would have nothing to do with attending ozzfest overall..if anything more money towards the music and their own personal(well deserved) happiness!!!...it is ridiculous in my opinion to deny them that or to disagree(though opinions are like assholes...everyone has one)