Opeth at OZZFEST 2004

Novembers Paul said:
At some point, everyones going to have to accept the fact that Opeth is getting bigger and bigger, and will no longer be the kings of underground metal. Ozzfest is actually the next logical step, and if it means more success for Opeth, and if more popularity gives them the oportunity to live comfortably from the music, then i'm all for it. I can;t think of another band that deserves to be huge, more then Opeth. They carry the torch for metal right now, and they hold it proud.
It's selfish in the extreme for people to be whining about Opeth becoming more popular, they clearly deserve to be able to live off their music. Admittedly I believe their songwriting has suffered since Blackwater Park, but they're still heaps above most anything else in metal, in my opinion. I hope they now write one grim-ass black metal influenced fucking album to shut the mouths of these whiny elitist fans. Following Damnation with something like that would be akin to Faith No More following The Real Thing with Angel Dust. \m/

SunlapseVertigo said:
i just kinda grew out of it. I don't have a hatred for nu-metal, i just don't really listen to much anymore. thats all.
I know what you mean. I definitely don't hate it, just don't listen to it anymore. I hear some of it because a lot of my friends are still into that stuff for one reason or another. It just doesn't appeal to me like it used to.

DreamingofUr: The DevilDriver thing was a joke, relax, and stop taking this so seriously and getting all angry over it. You're probably in tears over there from whe way you sound when you talk about this stuff. At least try to keep your composure.

DreamingofUr said:
Well, if you want good music youd have the good sense to find it. Opeth is good music and not like the other bands there. So it will not fit the tastes of the others, like it doesnt fit in with the radio. So why should they be at a place where they obviously can't be appreciated the most?
what an asinine statement..... so you are saying that anyone who listens to nu-metal has not "made a decision to listen to good music"? the music that they hear, and the music that they like, to THEM is good music. Its all subjective. Yes, of course I put Opeth in quite higher regard to nu-metal. But if someone hears something on the radio and they like it, and go buy a cd by them, they are doing exactly what you are saying.... "finding good music".... because it is good to them, its what they like. People always look for good music, and someone who listens to nu-metal has just as much right as another to find good music in Opeth.

SunlapseVertigo said:
what an asinine statement..... so you are saying that anyone who listens to nu-metal has not "made a decision to listen to good music"? the music that they hear, and the music that they like, to THEM is good music. Its all subjective. Yes, of course I put Opeth in quite higher regard to nu-metal. But if someone hears something on the radio and they like it, and go buy a cd by them, they are doing exactly what you are saying.... "finding good music".... because it is good to them, its what they like. People always look for good music, and someone who listens to nu-metal has just as much right as another to find good music in Opeth.

Too right, its all in the delivery... and some people have more means of delivery than others... simple enough for everyone?

IAmEternal said:
The fact is, it's getting into nu-metal and mainstream hard rock, etc. that leads people eventually to real metal. I can only speak for myself, but for me it was nu-metal + generally mainstream stuff... then Metallica and Sabbath and things like that, then into more thrash/death stuff. Opeth I got into while searching for bands similar to Tool. I dont know if they're similar at all, but if not for that comparsion, I'd probably never have found out about these guys :)

Due to the nature of human's deminishing pain threshold with hearing, most underground type music is what hurts older people ears, they just don't realise it so it to them just sounds bad, but in actual fact its just painful to their hearing. And guess what, who mostly runs Radio, TV, Recording companies etc yes thats right ADULTS. So due to them not liking this type of music, this is why we have an underground scene. Also because we as kids have radio etc drumed into us we become customised to comercial music-your fag adult correct bands at ozzfest etc. Because of this bands like Opeth etc don't get a fair deal but as adults are greedy and if theres money to be made they will push a few bands out of the norm into the comercial scene. And you usually see the infulence this has on their music hey just look at the changes to Metallica after And Justice For All? Nuff said.

Shadows Fall was at Ozzfest...they fuckin rule! Opeth should have a headlining spot...play an hour and a half worth of awesome shit...no big deal..alot of people at that fest. will totally dig them...and alot probably won't. It's all about exposure. Mcfarlane should make some Opeth toys..like those MEtallica ones...that'd be cool.

the_drip said:
Shadows Fall was at Ozzfest...they fuckin rule! Opeth should have a headlining spot...play an hour and a half worth of awesome shit...no big deal..alot of people at that fest. will totally dig them...and alot probably won't. It's all about exposure. Mcfarlane should make some Opeth toys..like those MEtallica ones...that'd be cool.
I disagree wholeheartedly. Opeth is already much of a commodity in the (European) metal scene. They have enough exposure to carry themselves. Anything more is just excessive.

Jock La Crotch said:
Please....please don't vote for them!!! What's next after Ozzfest? MTV? VH1 Behind the Music? FUK THAT!!! Ozzfest gets some of the shittest bands ever. It would be an insult for them to be on the bill. The only thing that could be worse is if Devildriver opened for them, oh wait...nevermind. PLEASE DON'T VOTE!!!! PROTECT GREAT MUSIC!!!! IT'S A RARE BREED THESE DAYS!!!

kill yourself

I wouldn't go to Ozzfest simply because I could care less about standing out in the sun for 12 hours without access to water that doesn't cost $4 a bottle or food that doesn't cost $7. Add on to that the venue for the Ozzfest in Southern California simply sucks large, swollen, donkey cocks and you have another reason for me not to go. I haven't seen Ozzy do a good show since 1992 (he really should have retired then!) without him losing his voice.

I'm certainly not going to spend $75 for a ticket to see only a few bands that I like, especially since several of the bands on the tour have already forked out $50,000 to Sharon Osbourne for the opportunity to play the Ozzfest.

Remember, Ozzfest has never been about the music, it's been about the Music Business and in that business, the business always comes before the music. Never fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

Has it come to the point where we have to explicitly say that Ozzfest is a business-oriented show? Isn't it transparent enough for everyone? I mean, you can even see some of the business plans for Ozzfest in the Osbournes Show in MTV. $$$$ everywhere. But where's the fucking music?

I really don't know if Opeth should be on Ozzfest. Someone powerful in the music business might see them and think they have "Potential" meaning they have the power to make him a lot of money. After that, they start tweaking the music. They shorten songs, less growls, more predictable changes, etc. and it all goes downhill from there.

It's called "The Bob Rock Effect". It destroyed the metal Metallica and it can destroy Opeth as well.