Opeth at OZZFEST 2004

Fuck the Ozzfest. I wouldn't wan them to be on it with a shitload of very crappy bands. I'd like them to continue to tour the way they are at the moment. I used to be a big Meshuggah fan until their rare trax came out. It was cool but seemed to mark the end of their real creativity. They are known for their math-metal and complex approach to their music and not for their straight edge metal songs. So by changing their style which happens to be more tuned to the masses, they are now just average I'd say. Their older music is indeed much better then the newer ozzfest friendly bullshit. Fuck the people at ozzfest and their wanna be heavy music. I see that shit the same way as I see rap tours and pop tours. Its all the same horseshit fed to you over and over. About the music eh? Fuck that! I'm not throwing my $$ down so that horrible, radio-friendly fuckin bands can have a peice of it.

Fuck the Ozzfest its a totally $$$ grubbing fuckinshit tour.
Fuck Ozzy himself for not knowing when to quit. I guess you can never have to many millions, eh??

ChrisEmerson said:
i kinda see both sides of the argument here.

one the one hand, opeth will play ozzfest and get loads of people really into good metal, and promote the band really well.

on the other hand, all the fucking kiddies will go to opeth concerts saying 'uuuuh yeh they were at ozzfest so they must be as good as slipknot' and make the opeth concert crowd full of wankers.

I really think people find good music/metal on their own. So let it stay that way. It would fuckin kill me to here some retard with a slipknot shirt say the softer Opeth songs "are gay/boring/pussy". Its not like you went to see the popular Metallica and saw Dark Tranquility there. Or went to the awesome Linkin Park show and saw Nile. Or went to the Ozzfest and saw Opeth!! That was to point out that most of us I'm sure found Opeth outside of a concert. We found them becuase we wanted to hear something outside the ordinary
or other bands like CoB and Emperor. And I know they are not like them.

How is Meshuggah's new material "more tuned to the masses" "Ozzfest friendly bullshit"? its far less accessable than their older material. you just say that because they were at Ozzfest, therefore they suck now. since thats obviously more important to you than the music itself, maybe you should take a good look at my amazon.com friend Lord Chimp's review of the new Meshuggah, as he quite accurately describes the album..... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/cm/member-reviews/-/ADJXL0W0RJ7VV/cm_aya_av.rev_nxt-111/002-5191530-5087266?start-at=111&

ChrisEmerson said:
on the other hand, all the fucking kiddies will go to opeth concerts saying 'uuuuh yeh they were at ozzfest so they must be as good as slipknot' and make the opeth concert crowd full of wankers.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true. I think people that go to Ozzfest to see Linkin Park or whatever other popular bands are there would probably be turned off by Opeth, either because "The songs are too long" or "Why are they playing this soft shit" whenever they came to a slow part.

Not that it matters. I think if one person or a thousand people become huge, devoted Opeth fans at each Ozzfest show, then the world will be that much better for it. Everyone needs that one band that pushes them out of the mainstream and into real music. Don't rob others of that opportunity just because of your selfishness. (And by "your," I mean everyone who said they shouldn't play Ozzfest.)

well it seems some people care more about the "underground" image more than the music. i dont care if opeth became bigger than britney spears!!, i will love them as long as there music kicks ass,... in fact in the bluest of blue fuck they start to suck i will still love em for the stuff they did in the past, its not about the image or the popularity its all about the music if your a real fan. and while your bitching you dont wana see them go anywhere they gota pay the fucking bills, look at the conditions they had to go thru in the recording of deliverence and damnation because of money, i am sure they wouldent mind a lil extra publicity and record sales.

At some point, everyones going to have to accept the fact that Opeth is getting bigger and bigger, and will no longer be the kings of underground metal. Ozzfest is actually the next logical step, and if it means more success for Opeth, and if more popularity gives them the oportunity to live comfortably from the music, then i'm all for it. I can;t think of another band that deserves to be huge, more then Opeth. They carry the torch for metal right now, and they hold it proud.

dude..some people are being jackasses...i mean take one of my favorite bands for instance...Pearl Jam (and shut up, i dont want to hear any peice of shit comments from little fat elitist fanboys!)...I loved Pearl Jam since they had come into existance..ive seen them twice and have most of their records...they are a household name! everyone knows who Pearl Jam is! they are one of the biggest bands around, yet i still love them to peices....the same thing would occur with Opeth like kingshit said...they appeal to me and i dig their music and their style so yeah im gonna listen to them regardless of what they do! these guys have worked their arses off! hell they have been touring for damn near a year straight! if they want to play fucking Ozzfest, more power to them, maybe ill actually go to an Ozzfest!

I don't give a fuck if Opeth became the next Beatles. I would still love 'em. And yes, there are some serious idiots at Ozzfest (both on stage and off), but I would definitely go just to see Opeth and Ozzy.

Well then... I dont know fuck all about Ozzfest and its credibility within the extreme metal scene, but I can assume that its seen in the same light as the Big Day Out here in Australia (I know, WAY different scene, bad comparison) as basicaly the biggest mainstream stage of the year. While its true that with a reputation like that, a band may be insulting itself by actualy playing at such a festival, that doesnt actualy change anything to do with their music.
But fuck it, nothing can change someones mind.

ggggggu, the response your after: fuck off

IGNM: So here's the clincher question, especially since you guys are starting to finally get a good buzz amongst music fans outside of the metal spectrum: If Sharon Osbourne were to call and invite you to join Ozzfest, what would you guys say?

Peter Lindgren: Yeah, I think so. I mean Ozzfest is like a classical fest sort of thing and we've always been fans of Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne. So that would be an opportunity to meet Ozzy Osbourne at least. They reach a lot of people that we wouldn't reach on our own, you know? So that would be a good opportunity for us.

alan3827 said:
Fuck Ozzfest. Opeth have played European Metal Festivals in the past. Why should they play at such a lame festival?
Hmm, maybe because the festival would'nt be lame if they did?

I'm all for them becoming more popular, they won't change the music.

opeth could make a fucking nsync concert bad ass. and i think it would be awsome for all them people to hear some real metal. and anyways i dont think they give a flying fuck weather anyone at ozz fest suck or what anyone thinks about them going to ozz fest, there in it for the music nothing else.

Opeth might be in it for the music, but when the crowd listens to those other bands, do you think they're in it for the music? Personally, I think they're in it for the association of being a person that is a 'fan' of that certain band rather than sincerely liking their art, if you can call it that. My opinion.