Opeth at OZZFEST 2004

If all you people don't go to Ozzfest...how do you know if the ones who do go are "fuckhead posers"? I think it would be great for Opeth to get a slot on the upcoming Ozzfest. Maybe if Sharon sees the amount of people who show up for this underground music she will book more bands like Opeth. One can hope?

I voted for them?! I want exposure for them...I spend a lot of time trying to turn people on to them...this would help my cause:D

I don't know about you people, but it appears to me that you all have some kind of sick obsession with using stupid phrases like "mallcore kids", "stupid posers", etc... it's rather sad. When kids are young (at least here in North America), most of us are only exposed to what is on the radio and television. We aren't aware of the existance of any music outside of this sphere. Even within the body of "mainstream music", 99% of people choose what they listen to based on taste. When I listened to nu-metal, I chose the bands I listened to because I liked them, identified with them, etc. Granted, these bands are not all the most talented or artistic, but I'd say that most people DO listen to them because they like them, not because of the image surrounding them. It's ridiculously idiotic to simply dismiss all Ozzfest attenders as morons with no musical taste. It would be fair to say that most of them love the music they hear there, even if simply because it's the only "metal" they know. They made a conscious decision to listen to hard rock/metal over hip-hop, pop, dance, etc... which counts for something. I don't buy that "it's all for the popularity" bullshit. It's just something moronic metal elitists use to try and sound big. Stop it, you aren't fooling anyone.

Reactions: [0hr]Sunlapse
IAmEternal said:
I don't know about you people, but it appears to me that you all have some kind of sick obsession with using stupid phrases like "mallcore kids", "stupid posers", etc... it's rather sad. When kids are young (at least here in North America), most of us are only exposed to what is on the radio and television. We aren't aware of the existance of any music outside of this sphere. Even within the body of "mainstream music", 99% of people choose what they listen to based on taste. When I listened to nu-metal, I chose the bands I listened to because I liked them, identified with them, etc. Granted, these bands are not all the most talented or artistic, but I'd say that most people DO listen to them because they like them, not because of the image surrounding them. It's ridiculously idiotic to simply dismiss all Ozzfest attenders as morons with no musical taste. It would be fair to say that most of them love the music they hear there, even if simply because it's the only "metal" they know. They made a conscious decision to listen to hard rock/metal over hip-hop, pop, dance, etc... which counts for something. I don't buy that "it's all for the popularity" bullshit. It's just something moronic metal elitists use to try and sound big. Stop it, you aren't fooling anyone.
YES!!! Thank you! this is exactly what I'm trying to say.....

The fact is, it's getting into nu-metal and mainstream hard rock, etc. that leads people eventually to real metal. I can only speak for myself, but for me it was nu-metal + generally mainstream stuff... then Metallica and Sabbath and things like that, then into more thrash/death stuff. Opeth I got into while searching for bands similar to Tool. I dont know if they're similar at all, but if not for that comparsion, I'd probably never have found out about these guys :)

Apprentice's Master said:
Opeth might be in it for the music, but when the crowd listens to those other bands, do you think they're in it for the music? Personally, I think they're in it for the association of being a person that is a 'fan' of that certain band rather than sincerely liking their art, if you can call it that. My opinion.

Thats exactly wtf I think but couldnt say it right!! Perfect!

IAmEternal said:

Well, if you want good music youd have the good sense to find it. Opeth is good music and not like the other bands there. So it will not fit the tastes of the others, like it doesnt fit in with the radio. So why should they be at a place where they obviously can't be appreciated the most? By saying liking that is above rap you are DEAD fuckin wrong. Its all the same corn feed shit that people want you to hear. When you make a CONSCIOUS decision to like good music youll search for it and understand where the fuck so called elitist are coming from. That shit is marketed so you can't say 100% that its a conscious decision you complete fuckin tard. Thats why there is a whole army of nerds dedicated to anti-advertisement horseshit. Fooling anyone? You've been fooled by the radio and shit bands. Have fun and good luck thinking for yourself someday.

When will people realize whats on the radio nowadays is made just for you. To get your buck. They are not allowed to sing about shit that those precious wallets can't relate to. They can prolly sing about comps freezing on you or the electricity going out and youll say, "yea i can relate to that!" . But you can't make it to obvious cause the audience will realize their being had. Same typical bullshit lyrics regurgitated through out radio history. So people can feel some lame "connection" and think they are a special band for talkin about love and loss and blah fuckin blah. Grow up and open your eyes plz. So damn frustrating because you all speak like you see things clearly but have your head so far up your ass you can't tell if your swallowing or shitting.

DreamingofUr said:
Well, if you want good music youd have the good sense to find it.
My point is that many of us came from backgrounds of mainstream hard rock/numetal... and that people who are interested in this type of music are likely to appreciate Opeth if they are exposed to it. It may simply not have occured to them yet that something more may exist beyond what is being given to them, as it takes time for everyone.
DreamingofUr said:
Opeth is good music and not like the other bands there. So it will not fit the tastes of the others, like it doesnt fit in with the radio. So why should they be at a place where they obviously can't be appreciated the most?
Putting Opeth on an Ozzfest bill would have to effects. The first would be the moronic elitists like yourself who would probably stop listening to them and say they "sold out" or something like that, even though their music is not changed at all by their performance at Ozzfest. The second would be that the people there, who may or may not be exposed to underground metal, will be given a chance to broaden their horizons and take in some great music that listening to the radio won't give to them.
DreamingofUr said:
By saying liking that is above rap you are DEAD fuckin wrong. Its all the same corn feed shit that people want you to hear. When you make a CONSCIOUS decision to like good music youll search for it and understand where the fuck so called elitist are coming from.
I do search for the music I listen to, you'll recall that this is an Opeth forum, and I am a fan of underground music, it's all I listen to these days. What I'm saying about people listening to rock/metal over rap is that when they do search for music, they'll be more prepared for what metal has to offer, as clearly death metal, etc. has more in common with hard rock/nu metal than fucking Snoop Dogg. Most of them don't just listen to WHATEVER they are fed, they still choose what bands they deem to be better songwriters and have some kind of talent.
DreamingofUr said:
That shit is marketed so you can't say 100% that its a conscious decision you complete fuckin tard. Thats why there is a whole army of nerds dedicated to anti-advertisement horseshit.
I'm sorry but it's just not true that more than a few people go out and buy WHATEVER the radio/TV tells them to. And plus, most of the bands that are marketed come from independent backgrounds and were simply signed and promoted by major labels. Granted, their music is simple, but it's only logical that people will listen to what's given to them until they get bored and make that conscious decision to move on. It's not like they're all idiots and you're some kind of superior being.
DreamingofUr said:
Fooling anyone? You've been fooled by the radio and shit bands. Have fun and good luck thinking for yourself someday.
I've been fooled by the radio because 99% of the bands I listen to recieve no play on radio at all? Yea man, maybe someday I *WILL* think for myself. You on the other hand are clearly enlightened and original for jumping on the bandwagon of pigheaded metallers who think that every single person who listens to bands like Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Killswitch Engage, Black Label Society, etc. (who play at Ozzfest) are all brainwashed by media and not listening to what they want, simply what they're told.

Just want to make clear that I am not trying to say that all metallers are like this. I would just expect more from a fan of such a sophistocated and intelligent band as Opeth. I hope that with effort you can someday mature enough to see past this view of narrowminded elitism which is so common on these forums. Can't say anything without getting flamed anymore.

But still, let the 'prospective' fans of Opeth find out about them the hard way. Opeth doesn't deserve to be treated like shit by playing in a concert that least represents what they're about. It's rather a waste of time, IMO.

I wouldn't mind seeing them there but there would have to be better bands than they have been having. Ozzfest usually throws in one or 2 good bands but everything else on that fest just flat out sucks and I would not sit through that shit to see Opeth for 25 minutes.

lmao. same old stupid shit coming from people trying to justify their tolerance for shit music rap and nu metal included. me and people not me are not elitist and you people make us out to be that btw. They don't say go out and buy now you stupid fuck cause who in their right mind would listen to a stranger tell em what to buy?? Its a subconcious thing and its to bad you don't know shit about advertisements. Opeth will not be as appreciated at a shit show like ozzfest and that is what is key here. Opeth is not UNDER fucking GROUND!! Jesus the are on a huge fuckin record label now and headline their on shows across the globe. Playing huge venues doesn't make someone not underground anymore. Your the one saying "elitist will stop listening to them" we or anyone like me know we won't stop until the music is no longer what we enjoy. Fuckin tard. Read between the lines and realize "elitist" like em for more reasons then you know. I'm sure Opeth appreciates the fans waiting for them and talking about music to them more then someone that doesn't know shit about them asking if they like linkin park too. BLS isnt shitty but I don't think their special either. Black Sabbath isn't shit jjust played out. Ozzy is a fuckin moron now. moron = money grubbing trend setting old cocksucker
Opeth should be with an audience that can receive them the best way possible. I doubt they would want to play with shit bands that make the ticket costs go thru the roof for their fans anyway. Just to see them on second stage for 10 seconds and having to introduce Rob Zombie. Underground means shit to fans of music. There is no underground. Just good or bad not so popular music.