Opeth - "Death metal sound is over"

Picking up where I turned off last time. Two songs and I cant stand this shit.
This is fucking shit.
I will be amazed if I somtime in the future learn to like this.

^ Same. I can learn to appreciate it (but dunno what to appreciate) but to keep listening to it until I learn to like it, is not pleasurable at all.

Well I decided to check out the rest of Heritage on youtube and fuck do I have some mixed thoughts on it. I don't have any descriptive thoughts yet but after a full listen I just don't feel like it fits. The music isn't bad, I like quite a few songs but there are several times where it sounds like Opeth trying to mimic other music rather than an original band. That may be due to the fact that Mikael wrote most of the material (as usual) and that's why it sounds like a copycat of a style. It's a guy that writes most of Opeth's music trying to step beyond his natural writing style, maybe he should have started a seperate project where everyone contributes to the music.

To summarize my overall impressions, I liked the music but I don't see myself listening to it for long. I think it sounds like an ego-project that Mikael pushed for and I don't think he alone had the chops to make it convincing. Should have been a solo album or a seperate project he doesn't govern.

So if we say that Mike continues to write albums like this for Opeth, do you think any of the members will leave the band? After all its Mike that is the prognut.

Mike had written two songs in the vein of Watershed, played them to Mendez who ripped 'em and said he'd be disappointed if this is where the band is going. I'm thinking he's excited about this direction. Axe and Åkesson, don't know.

I'm pretty sure I'll love Opeth no mater what they do. Damnation was may favorite album by far, but I love the variety that is put into their music. Mikael has amazing growls and clean vocals. Hell, he could just read a biology text book into a microphone and I'd be happy.