Opeth Discussion

If you've heard SL/BWP/MAYH/Watershed and you still don't get it then you prolly never will. Which is cool, not everyone can get into this band.

Explain the cheesy part, i'm not understanding this. I can understand one calling them boring but cheese? um no.

Agreed. And I say that for a metal band, Opeth is pretty un-cheesy. They're more subtile and never over the top in the same way as, say, Iron Maiden.

Also, nice to see mature discussion in this thread.

Well, I could see the lyrics concerned with relationships, especially fictional ones (i.e. Still Life) being termed cheesy, but nothing about Blackwater Park seems anywhere close..

Well on the lyrics I agree, that's Opeth's weakest side by far. But on the other hand, what do Iron Maiden, or metal bands in general, sing about then?
Everything about Opeth overall has been a breath of fresh air to me. Opeth was never a "gateway band" of mine, when I got into Opeth I had already been listening to metal for 6-7 years, and Opeth brought in something very different. I will never "outgrow" Opeth, but Opeth sure has made me "outgrow" a lot of metal.

I don't think it was cool of the band to destroy the whole forum because of a couple 10 year old children with immature minds. The band should realise that a forum can produce good promotion for a band, people did insult the records and that probably upset the band but still. Would they cancel a show if there is a couple dicks in the crowd bashing their albums...makes me wonder.

Agreed. And I say that for a metal band, Opeth is pretty un-cheesy. They're more subtile and never over the top in the same way as, say, Iron Maiden.

Also, nice to see mature discussion in this thread.

Cheesy might not be the right word. I'd go with pretentious. They play with a sort of confidence that they're the only band doing this sort of music, when they know perfectly well there's not much that's original about it. It's enjoyable at times, other times it's drawn out and contrived and that's where the pretentiousness came from. Morningrise was just straightforward and humble, it doesn't try at all to reference their influences or be "prog". There wasn't that sense of self-awareness that came in after MAYH. Example of what i'm talking about, now in the booklets of each album they've got that "6th observation by Opeth" directly taken from King Crimson which kind of makes me cringe. When you first heard it, great because it's your first exposure to cool stuff but when you find out where it's all taken it's kind of a turnoff.

Opeth is a band you have to learn to love. I don't think someone who normally listen to, let's say Metallica or something, would hear White Cluster for the first time and go "wow, this song rocks". Another way which totaly worked for many people I know is by seeing them live.

I don't think it was cool of the band to destroy the whole forum because of a couple 10 year old children with immature minds. The band should realise that a forum can produce good promotion for a band, people did insult the records and that probably upset the band but still. Would they cancel a show if there is a couple dicks in the crowd bashing their albums...makes me wonder.

The forum wasn't closed because of 10 year olds with immature minds or people insulting Opeth records.

It was because a group of trolling people (not 10 year olds, but actual adults if you can believe it) and a lot of disrespectful shit going on (not towards Opeth necessarily, but dead people, yeah...)

Mikael thought that the band could no longer stay behind all this shit hence the official forum taken down.

And yeah, I'm a fan of Opeth. Most albums are really good.

Well, guess I can say I'm a fanboy.

Their only album I still have touble listening to is Orchid. This one doesn't click for some reason. Love pretty much evething they've recorded.

Their gig months ago in São Paulo was decent, but I was expecting a couple more songs off records like MAYH and Blackwater Park.

Okay, basically there's a problem, namely that Opeth discussion keeps breaking out and fucking up several pages of threads. It's not just controversial opinions or the thread where you talk about music you like, it happens all over. So. What I propose is that Opeth discussion be limited to this thread and that any discussion of Opeth lasting for more than 3 posts in any other thread result in warnings and/or temp bans for all parties involved. Also, there isn't currently an Opeth thread and they're a very popular band, so that validates this thread's existence.

I'll start with a comment on Opeth. They're boring as fuck live and they never play their popular songs, which is just weird. I saw them on Prog nation and they bored the shit out of me. I could have seen them last night but I didn't; 2 of my friends went and reported on the setlist and I have to say, it's fucking weird how they don't play the songs people actually like.

Aside from that, the majority of their stuff is drifting, directionless riffing with shitty transitions and I can't tell half their songs apart.

Flame away, I won't be reading this thread, but KEEP OPETH DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD.

lol you're just like the majority of people... no attention span.

You're just a fanboy trying to pick a fight over a post made quite a while ago. I like Opeth just fine... but I can understand that some people dont and can deal with it.

I don't know if some of you deserve this. As naturally, I would move on from the fact that you are ignorant. But the fact that you find yourself here and appreciate a very open minded genre of music, I will give you guys this.

I've read through a few people's comments and it's all the same. You won't like Opeth if you don't have patience, and if you don't give them a chance.

You can't listen to them for 30 seconds and determine if you like the song or not.
You can't listen to the song once and determine whether you like it or not.

The problem with them is, and why most people don't like them is...
Their songs are too powerful and have too much meaning. They also change your emotions while you listen to them. One second you are ANGRY and READY TO KICK SOME ASS. Next second you are relaxed, and a lover. People, in general, don't like other people controlling them... PLAIN and SIMPLE.

When you listen to music, you are allowing a band to take control of you, whether you are aware of it or not is up to you.

Not only is the artist filling your mind with words and connecting you on some level or another. The music is also telling you how to feel.

With powerful bands like Opeth, that can really take control of you from the inside and open you up to a whole new world. People instinctively, don't want that. They don't want to be taken control of. So the result is them brushing it off as "boring" or "predictable". Meanwhile, they go back and listen to their music, which could also fall under anything you call Opeth.

Any, and EVERY band has a message. Whether or not you can grasp it is completely subjective. To grasp a band like "In Flames" can be quite simple, but at the same time, quite hard. It's quite simple, because if you are ignorant, you can connect to them on some level. If you are intellectual, you can connect to them on another level. A band like Opeth, doesn't really ever give the ignorant a chance, strictly based on the length of their songs. If you are ignorant, you will not like Opeth. Which can be said about anyone, who doesn't like any band. They are ignorant, if they assume they understand their message, and move on, without actually giving it a chance.

To assume you have even come close to figuring out what Opeth is, what they do, and how powerful they actually are, is only hurting yourself. This band, as I have experienced first hand, will open your minds if you let them into it. If you allow yourself to listen to their full length songs, more than once, and consume them, until they are a part of you. You will see what they can do to your mind and eyes. How they can open you up, and connect you with mother nature, and a whole new side of yourself that deals with human nature. They truly are , one of the most powerful bands, I have ever listened to. You should really give them a chance.

*NOTE*

If you say they are boring, its just an excuse, it is a form of you blaming them for your inability to appreciate something that is so foreign to people these days. Patience.