Opeth & GT-6

The6thPlague

New Metal Member
Jul 9, 2004
In the faq they said they use gt-6 for their sound.
Does anybody have any files or txt for the gt of their sound? Distortion & clean???
Thanks a million!
O P E T H ! ! !
P.S - since yesterday I now have all opeth cd's & lamentations dvd...
:hotjump: :headbang:

i guess someone should start tweaking an opeth patch for gt-6
i personally have zoom gfx-8 but i'm familiar with gt-6 settings, so i can't really help
the main idea is is to normallize all the settings and keep changing the drive type until it's close to opeth sound, i guess you wont need amp simulator on gt-6 because they use real amp settings
after you set the drive, turn off the mod and the dly/rev, then start tweaking the equalizer for the proper sound, when you think it's close enough, add delay and reverb
i'll try tweaking a patch on my gfx-8 too, good luck

Ram said:
i guess someone should start tweaking an opeth patch for gt-6
i personally have zoom gfx-8 but i'm familiar with gt-6 settings, so i can't really help
the main idea is is to normallize all the settings and keep changing the drive type until it's close to opeth sound, i guess you wont need amp simulator on gt-6 because they use real amp settings
after you set the drive, turn off the mod and the dly/rev, then start tweaking the equalizer for the proper sound, when you think it's close enough, add delay and reverb
i'll try tweaking a patch on my gfx-8 too, good luck

Thanks, I will try. I have gt-3. So it will be pretty much the same. I will try but I suck at finding someone's sound...
Still, if anyone has built something please post it. Also if you have cool gt-3,5,6 patches then post them here.

there is variety in opeth guitar sound among thier albums, but recently they started using gt-5 and gt-6
so if you wanna tweak your boss pedal, start on bwp, deliverance or damnation for clean patches

another tip would really help:
if you have any multitrack audio editing program, such as adobe audition or cool edit pro
select any song, choose from the effects menu amplitude, then select "Channel Mixer..."
from the presets list, select "Vocal cut"
you will hear the guitars very clearly, exactly just how they sounded on the dvd documentary, plus you could hear every little small detail they recorded on the tracks
the trick is basicly mixing the right channel -100 into the left channel, and the left channel -100 into the right channel, so you're choosing the guitars to be in the main channel instead of vocals

The6thPlague said:
In the faq they said they use gt-6 for their sound.
Does anybody have any files or txt for the gt of their sound? Distortion & clean???
Thanks a million!
O P E T H ! ! !
P.S - since yesterday I now have all opeth cd's & lamentations dvd...
:hotjump: :headbang:

Let me know if you figure anything out Plague......I have a gt-6 also....

Thanks

I have a gt - 6 also .. im not a big fan of trying to get a sound. Apparently I have some sort of knack for immitating sounds ( ??) according to some of our band/jam mates so i'll do some work on my patches and try to get them up ... currently fairly busy with recording a demo for a band now but someone just pm later this week and i'll send it to them or just tell the specs.....

Opeth's tone is the only way to play metal and use some complex chords especially with an unwound G.... that can be very ughhhh disgusting sounding sometimes if you can't get it right, so im glad to be able to help out in any way.

What i do to get a good opeth tone is this. Turn my gain down to like 1 or sometimes even 0. Then i push my boost button and turn my volume way up, roll back the bass to about 2 and boost the mids to about 8 and the treble to about 6. It may not work on your amp but it works on mine. It gets that My Arms your Hearse sound perfectly.

im running a Gt8 into the insert of my Laney GH100L using the Amp control on the GT8 so as to use the amps distortion. The gain is set on about 4 and the overdrive is about 7. Does anyone have any EQ suggestions for ether the GT8 or the amp to get a opeth tone?

In an interview, a few years ago, they said that they used the 5150 preamp for their distortion sound and they use their Laney exclusively on their clean channels. The laney amp settings are Bass: 0 Middle: 10 Treble: 0 like Boss's user manual recommends when using any Boss GT unit into a clean guitar amp. Don't forget to turn off the speaker simulator and do not dial in too much gain. The gain output knob behind the pedal should be set to 1/2 or 2/3... I also like to set the presence to 100 and play with the eq's to cut some of the annoying high freq I get with my solid state amp. Might not be needed with a good tube amp... For direct recording the use of an external analog speaker simulator would be more appropriate...

After reading the interview and playing with my pedal settings this is how I get a satisfactory tone considering my crappy amp and entry-level jackson guitar... I'm more into bass playing so I wont be getting better equipment for now.

Pat