Opeth in recent time...

DarkZombie

Power Cosmic
Jun 10, 2004
is it me or have their fucking albums progressively gotten weaker and fucking weaker? don't get me fucking wrong here, i fucking love to shit this band -- but they are tinkering on the fine fucking line between fucking john tesh and fucking yanni.

DarkZombie said:
is it me or have their fucking albums progressively gotten weaker and fucking weaker? don't get me fucking wrong here, i fucking love to shit this band -- but they are tinkering on the fine fucking line between fucking john tesh and fucking yanni.
If you ask me, no. You have your opinion though

DarkZombie said:

Dude, no :Smug: Opeth rips

DarkZombie said:
The F WORD.

I find the "f" word amusing so i use it a lot.

Anyways, I may have been too harsh on my first post. I think that Opeth is really talented and over time they have sort of mellowed out :cool:

:devil:

morningrise is the second most mellow album to date (right under damnation), so i really dont see what you are talking about. I wish they would start mellowing out a bit more and add a lot more of those awesome acoustic passages that are riddled throughout morningrise -- orchid, even.

I just thought of "Boondock saints" and the scene when the McManus brothers fool Rocco..

But honestly, what has the "mellowness" of a song to do with its quality ?

The best Opeth albums are those that capture every aspect of Opeth's greatness. For this reason, I cannot understand why anyone would not rank Still Life #1. The only album that comes close is MAYH. The first two albums are lacking in something - I can't quite put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong, I still love them. But Still Life is in a league of it's own.

So. What 1 song do you think does the best job of showing all sides of Opeth? My pick (right now, who knows - ask me in a few weeks...) would be Godhead's Lament. No other song makes me revel in heaviness and then make me want to cry during the soft parts.

wwallinga said:
The best Opeth albums are those that capture every aspect of Opeth's greatness. For this reason, I cannot understand why anyone would not rank Still Life #1. The only album that comes close is MAYH. The first two albums are lacking in something - I can't quite put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong, I still love them. But Still Life is in a league of it's own.

So. What 1 song do you think does the best job of showing all sides of Opeth? My pick (right now, who knows - ask me in a few weeks...) would be Godhead's Lament. No other song makes me revel in heaviness and then make me want to cry during the soft parts.

i agree with you on the first two albums lacking something...my thoughts on that something are a few things. 1) they contain the same dueling guitar leads that everyone was doing at the time...2) they don't flow well....the transitions are poor and the songs drag along. 3) then there is the production....some of you may like it...but it bothers me alot.

the song that captures everything that is opeth?...hmmmm....my favorites are

The Drapery Falls
The Lepper Affinity
Deliverance
Master's Apprentices
Serenity Painted Death

damn...there are just too many. we'll leave it at that for now.

I disagree. In terms of compositional value, I'd say that Opeth have been slowly degrading since Still Life, with BWP still being a markedly strong effort, and Deliverance barely dragging its weight. Opeth were on the steep incline of improvement ever since the first two albums and they peaked right around the two concept albums.

Since then their dabbling in studio effects and various other implements in their music has left something to be desired, as far as musicality and musicianship is concerned.

With that said, I certainly don't think they've been mellowing out in any way. If anything, they have been pushing the heavyness envelope ever since Still Life as some sort of compromise to their previously composite albums. They've lost those layers of sound they had and it almost felt like the Opeth formula and style had become redundant on Deliverance. In compromise, they were pushing the heavyness element so that we could stomach hearing the same riff looped for half a song.

I think they've been getting progressively worse in their writting abilities since Still Life. Black Water park was good and had a lot of great parts on it, but it was only the start of the decline. Then deliverance came out, when I first heard it I loved it and the same with damnation. Now though, most of the riffs on Deliverance sounds very simple, repetative, and boring. Theres still some really good parts like the very last solo in deliverance and the way it flows into the clean riff with the vocals "Deliverance...thrown back at me..etc.." That part is just genius. But for the most part Deliverance sounds like crap to me. In fact Ive kind of been burnt out on Opeth for awhile. Just hasnt really been my thing lately. Ive been listening to more death metal, stuff that has heavier, faster, more complex metal riffs. But, I still think Opeth is one of the greatest metal bands of all time, its just that on the last few albums they havent been writting music that is as good as they are capable of writting. But thats just my opinion.

Bereaved said:
I think they've been getting progressively worse in their writting abilities since Still Life. Black Water park was good and had a lot of great parts on it, but it was only the start of the decline. Then deliverance came out, when I first heard it I loved it and the same with damnation. Now though, most of the riffs on Deliverance sounds very simple, repetative, and boring. Theres still some really good parts like the very last solo in deliverance and the way it flows into the clean riff with the vocals "Deliverance...thrown back at me..etc.." That part is just genius. But for the most part Deliverance sounds like crap to me. In fact Ive kind of been burnt out on Opeth for awhile. Just hasnt really been my thing lately. Ive been listening to more death metal, stuff that has heavier, faster, more complex metal riffs. But, I still think Opeth is one of the greatest metal bands of all time, its just that on the last few albums they havent been writting music that is as good as they are capable of writting. But thats just my opinion.

Come to my house, play Deliverance all the way through, and then you can call it simple. Until then, know your fucking role.

heh, do the riffs have to change every second for being good and heavy band??? fuck you!!! If you want constantly changing riffs and that kind of shit, try Watchtower/Spastic Inc or smth... Deliverance is by far my fav album by Opeth. And I think that they are constantly getting better. Although I don't know how is that possible, because Orchid and Morningrise are masterpieces already... And if you think that Deliverance is weak, then try St. Anger or smth...people tell taht it's heavy as shit!