Opeth in recent time...

KielbasaSausage said:
if you listen to something enough times it loses all its meaning; you become bored with the material and it loses its replay value.

I have to disagree here. I've listened to Orchid and Still Life a thousand times, and they're still as fresh and give me so many chills as the first day. Probably Opeth CDs to get boring need to be listened to 3 or 4 thousand times! Dunno! To my ear, Deliverance has got a bit boring even though I've listened to it fewer times...

I believe that the next album will be the most important album for Opeth to make. They will either blow our minds or lose some fans. The pressure is on! I've got some faith that Opeth will pull out of it unscathed.

^ I agree with that. I think the next album is definately make or break as far as I'm concerned. It will indicate to me and numerous other fans, no doubt, which direction Opeth is focused on.

As it stands however, I'm very excited about the new elements that will be part of this upcoming album.

ChrisEmerson said:
i find MAYH doesnt age very well. possibly the most out of all of them, except damnation.
As a whole album... yeah... individual songs... no. When and April Ethereal are still magnificent, regardless of age.

I wish my hifi would count what albums i listen to and how many times. I would say MAYH, and "anthems to the..." by emperor would be my 2 most listened albums.

As for Opeth getting worse, I think that's crap. Deliverance is still very strong, a fair judgement is a magnificent piece, and deliverance seems really original to me, especially the end of the song (ok it goes on for a bit long). Master's Apprentices' has that awesome riff. etc etc and BlackWAter Park is an absolutely phenomenal album!!!!!!!!!!! so is still life and mayh and MR and orchid.. LOL!!

Is Damnation even really a factor in this discussion? I wasn't even thinking about the album. Damnation probably should have had a different band name, except for the fact that less people would buy it. Too bad Deliverance and Damnation was not a true double album.

I agree the albums have gotten worse, But weaker......... eh I dont tihnk so, Of course MAYH is the heaviest album, But The Leper Afinnity, Blackwater Park, Funeral Portrait, Masters Apprentecies, Deliverance, Wreath.

^^ All above= Heavy songs, most of those tunes above are heavier than anything on still Life, Orchid , Most of Mornignrise, but Not MAYH. My thoughts on Opeth and their evolvement is that the albums have gotten less random like off the wall riffs, the new albums are more predictable with a standard chorus verse chrorus ,type tihng. Preferably I like Opeths older albums much more thant Blackwater park , deliverance , ect. because of the origionality and musicianship in the first albums. I tihnk Opeths change from being so origional its crazy to being some what origional has to do with steve wilson and his ideas for the band rather than the bands ideas for the band.

^Strong does not mean heavy, weak does not mean soft. Albums getting weaker refers to the strength of the songwriting and composing.

Damnation is more similar to their earlier work than you might think.
No... their influences were much different back then. The songs definitly have that medieval sound that Kielbasa refers to, and a much stronger folk influence. The folk made the soft bits in the early albums, these days the soft bits are all prog rock influenced.

Come to my house, play Deliverance all the way through, and then you can call it simple. Until then, know your fucking role.
Dont tell me to know my fucking role, I have listened to Deliverance all the way through plenty of times, but it was kind of hard, I got fucking bored too easily. You have your own opinion on deliverance and I have mine. And that really pisses me off when you tell me to know my fucking role when it comes to Opeth. I have all the albums and Ive listened to all of them hundreds of times, Ive learned how to play tons of their songs, Ive seen them live twice, and met the band, I know Opeth's music well and in my opinion Deliverance is nothing compared to the rest of their work. I think the druming on Deliverance is some of the best out of any opeth album, but thats about the only thing I think is great except for a few sections of song that are really good. If all of you want to think Deliverance is great, then thats cool, but Im just saying I dont think its great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opeth\m/\m/
the new albums are more predictable with a standard chorus verse chrorus ,type tihng

Did you smoke something?
I think Opeth\m/\m/ is right. The newer albums dont use the standard verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus type stuff but they do have a much more repetative type structure where there are parts that could be considered verses, where they have the same music repeat at different times. Just look at Still Life, every single song is full of that kind of verse, chorus structure. A good example is moonlapse vertigo, it has an intro then goes into the verse("Kept warm by the light of the lantern...") and then goes into the chorus("Their scorn behind your back...") and then back to the verse("I would persih at the given signal...") and back to the chorus("Dripping sin Decision in stalemate") again etc. That kind of thing is all over that album. The thing about opeth is their verse, chorus songs arent exactly like the standard verse, chorus structure but they deffinitly are much closer to a verse chorus structure than they ever were back in the first few albums.

Still Life is the most formulaic and unoriginal of Opeth's works. Maybe that's why some people love it the most. With the exception of a song like Harvest, or the Damnation album, the songs have been getting less formulaic and predictable since SL. I think this trend will continue. Opeth did some really experimental stuff last time around, and it seems like the next album will have even more. After a band has been around for so long they either have to try new things, or become stagnant. The Orchid/MR style got old for Opeth, and if there was a third album like that, it probably would have gotten old for us. I'm glad there aren't two MAYHs or two SLs. The thing some people don't like about D1 is that it's not different enough from BWP. So if you don't like the direction Opeth is taking, it's understandable, but a band must change over time. Some will appreciate it, some won't.