Opeth in recent time...

The only problem I had with Deliverance was that it was not a radical departure.

Of course, Damnation came out afterwards, which was a radical departure from everything Opeth has ever done before. I think that Opeth’s album before Deliverance, Blackwater Park, was a groundbreaking achievement for the band. There are more than enough memorable tunes on that album and it rightfully deserved all of the respect and praise that it received.

Every Opeth album is memorable in its own way IMHO, but Deliverance is really lacking when it comes to being distinctive. If anything, I thought that the album had the best guitar solos that the group has put out since Still Life. They were in your face, soaring, and emotional. I even liked the repetition of the track Deliverance. I do not mind if a band decides to repeat a certain riff over and again as long as it is for a cause and effect kind of reason. Maybe it was what seemed natural to them? The dynamics in the songs have significantly been reduced to create this monolithic, heavy piece of work. But they have not been reduced enough. In short, Deliverance does not completely succeed at what it sets out to do, which is create this in “your face kind of heaviness.” There are times when My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life, and even Blackwater park seem to have heavier sounding songs than the ones that are in Deliverance.

That is my only complaint with the album. Other than that, it is a solid album and it really could have been much worse if you think about it…. I am interested to see what Opeth is going to do next. I have a feeling that it is going to be something atmospheric, which in return is a good way to go instead of producing another Deliverance or Blackwater Park.

MasterOLightning said:
Still Life is the most formulaic and unoriginal of Opeth's works. Maybe that's why some people love it the most. With the exception of a song like Harvest, or the Damnation album, the songs have been getting less formulaic and predictable since SL. I think this trend will continue. Opeth did some really experimental stuff last time around, and it seems like the next album will have even more. After a band has been around for so long they either have to try new things, or become stagnant. The Orchid/MR style got old for Opeth, and if there was a third album like that, it probably would have gotten old for us. I'm glad there aren't two MAYHs or two SLs. The thing some people don't like about D1 is that it's not different enough from BWP. So if you don't like the direction Opeth is taking, it's understandable, but a band must change over time. Some will appreciate it, some won't.

I don't know how you could say Still Life is unoriginal and formulaic... just listen to Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster. Harvest and Damnation are the more formulaic and predictable because they fit the verse/chorus structure... i love Harvest and Damnation... i just think you're a little off in your assessment... they are changing... and i think the biggest change is going to be on the next album...

I think Opeth is very capable of producing similar albums to Orchid and Morningrise, but I don't think they want to. I don't see the succeeding albums as weaker, they're just different. Though I will say that the first two albums created an atmosphere around it that was hard to shake off, like it really was autumn and the skies are cloudy and dark. It felt very mellow and gothic. I'm not sure if it's because of the production or the songs themselves, or both. The later albums had more cohesive melody and memorable riffs, but lacked the overall lingering ambience.

As for their next album...I hope it's some sick, evil shit...of course with the Opeth touch.™ ;)

I think it'd be interesting to poll and see:

Who thinks Opeth's material/song writing has become weak and is NOT a musician

Who thinks Opeth's material/song writing has become weak and IS a musician

Who thinks Opeth's material/song writing has become stronger and is NOT a musician

Who thinks Opeth's material/song writing has become stronger and IS a musician

Might be interesting because some people who are saying the songwriting has become worse blah blah MIGHT not know what the hell they're talking about. Gimme some feedback and maybe I'll make the poll :D

personally, although i'm a musician, i haven't listened to a single MAYH or Still Life song other than Demon of the Fall. However, personally i didn't like Deliverance as a whole that much, or in general...i really only like the title track and By the Pain I See In Others. BWP, however...that one was awesome. And i think they got stronger from Morningrise to BWP. whatever...got to get the other 2 albums...

To me Opeth´s peak has been "Still life", so that whole "the earlier the better" thing don´t apply to Opeth IMO. However recent albums D1 & D2 are not exactly on pair with their earlier work, but let´s just hope time pressure is to blame for that.

I think this is being looked at in the wrong light. I don't think you can compare the albums to each other that much. Each one is different in it's own brilliant way. It surprised me when Lopez said something along the lines of "I think we'll quit once/if we ever agree that we can't keep getting better." Better? There's no way you CAN'T get better as a musician unless you quit playing your instrument, and, for a band as diverse as Opeth, how can you say that one album is BETTER than the next? If you ignore the fact that Demon Of The Fall and The Drapery Falls have been very successful, you'll realize that there isn't really one song that most Opeth fans agree is better than any other. That's 'cause all of them are good!

Martyr said:

Who thinks Opeth's material/song writing has become stronger and is NOT a musician

Might be interesting because some people who are saying the songwriting has become worse blah blah MIGHT not know what the hell they're talking about. Gimme some feedback and maybe I'll make the poll :D

Opeth’s material is certainly tighter nowadays and more to the point. It is more accessible.

I am a guitarist, but I personally think that a band needs to put pure, raw emotion before technicality. Luckily with Opeth they integrate technicality and emotion together, which is the reason why I think that they are a great band. Nothing more and nothing less. Their songwriting is GOOD as long as it stays fresh, unique, and inventive imo.

Don’t get me wrong, technicality is important. What is more important though, is staying original. I think that the problem people have with Deliverance is that it feels and sounds like a REHASH. If Deliverance was on its own it would be a great album. However, since we have the rest of the Opeth catalogue to compare it to it seems kind of boring. It is simply nothing new.

But I am glad that they put Damnation out after that, so I still have faith in them.

No, not at all.

Orchid and Morningrise are both enjoyable... but their production (or lack of) IS bothersome when listening to them. Plus, the material just isn't as strong. Still great album though!

My Arms Your Hearse however was a huge step forward, and definitely their best to date. Still Life is amazing as well. Although I still haven't gotten into "The Funeral Portrait", I think Blackwater Park kicks some serious ass.

Had they been released alone, Deliverance and Damnation would've sounded odd and probably too one-sided... but you have to remember, they were recorded TOGETHER and they balance each other. As a pair, these two discs make an amazing album.

So no, I haven't been disappointed by any Opeth releases at this point.

their albums have gotten more mellow -- but that doesnt mean "worse" -- im just sayin' id like to see another album like still life or blackwater. just my opinion.

Martyr said:

you should make the poll.