Opeth is NOT Death Metal!

Sayong Opeth are Death Metal is like saying Nightwish are Black Metal. Opeth's music doesn't have a foundation of morbidity and it features far too much melody and directs itself away from rules far too often. They are always structured with a layer of symphony, so i'd either class them as Melodic or Symphonic Metal.

Profanity said:
Opeth's music doesn't have a foundation of morbidity

With such songs as Bleak, The Funeral Portrait, The Leper Affinity, Dirge For November, Serenity Painted Death, Still Day Beneath The Sun, Wreath, By The Pain I See In Others, Death Whispered A Lullaby and albums titled Damnation and My Arms, Your Hearse how can you say that?

Of course you did say music, but I consider the lyrics vocals and artwork to be part of the music as a whole, but yeah, the actual other instruments in their craft are not so DM at all. So I see your point, but some of the vocals, lyrics and artwork are very morbid no? And to me they are just as important when defining a bands genre as the sounds the instruments are playing.

And the difference with Nightwish being that they never set out to be a Black Metal band whereas Opeth have called themselves DM of some sort a lot of times in the past and if you hear their pre-Orchid stuff it is obviously a DM band. Yeah, maybe not anymore, but there is no denying that the bulk of their music has DM influences and can easily be likened to that genre.

anyone who denies the big DM influences in Opeth is deaf ...

btw, @vampyrouss: hmm, lyrics, music and artwork are so closely linked? ;) something I said many times in the discussion about christian extreme metal, to point out that you can not ignore the lyrics of satanic bands since they are very much reflected in the music and artwork too ;) ... so actually you have to agree with me then that it is kind of hypocrite for convinced christians to listen to anti-christian music :p ... (since you want to start this topic up again ;) .. you can answer in the right thread if you'd like to)

Oh yes. This is the most important thing: what genre this band is. It is very, very important, because if nobody tells me that, I won't know if I should like them... ;)

:hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?!?!?:hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump:

This is great band!:headbang: That's it. Call it as you want.

Of course, there are death and progressive influences, but they created their own style: Opeth metal or something like that, if you need to label it so desperatedly.

Forest metal, Progressive Death Metal, Symphonic Progressive forest metal, blah blah blah ...

Who gives a shit?

to Black Session-
I don't know if you were saying that Opeth is anti-christian and christians are hypocrites if they listen to them (is that's not what you meant, then nver mind), but I'm christian. I don't consider Opeth to be anti-christian, even though they're subject matter is a little on the dark side. I"m more impressed with their musical talent and musical integrity and musical intensity. I don't know if this is appropriate in this thread, if not, I guesss someone can move it elsewhere. peace.

Come join the fun in the "wtf...Extol is christian death metal?!" Thread, all your answers will be revealed. But by the way, he wasn't referring to Opeth being a Satanic band, it was a conversation in the thread I just mentioned!

No, they are from Sweden, not Canada! :D

But seriously, whats with this sudden NS popularity all of a sudden though?
Someone was talking about it on a different forum too... Politics eh?! :yuk:

And I stole the Canada gag off someone on whatever forum it was too, 2nd hand humour rules! :headbang:

The Mighty Åkerfeldt himself says in the "making of Deliverance & Damnation" documentary that in essence, Opeth are a deathmetal band. Even though the progressive influences take a larger place in Opeths music these days, there's no denying their roots...

I think its a unique genre isnt it? opeth cant be classified. But i think their main influences are death metal (although not tradititional floridian death metal) and progressive rock. So i would say 'melodic death metal with prog rock influences' but definately not 'progressive metal' or the like, thats too vague, and classes them as pretentious twats like dream theater, who have none of the soul and spirit of 70s english prog rock that MA draws on.