Opeth nominated to the Grammis 2006... Good or Bad????

I think its great that they finally receive some mainstream credit for their amazing work. I also think it is a great opportunity to showcase the best of prog/death metal to a mainstream audience, and open up new possibilities for listeners who have never heard it before. Opeth is the perfect band for that, because Opeth is one of the best, and one of the most stubborn when it comes to sticking to what they want.

T-Rat said:
check out who's nominated in the usa:
http://music.yahoo.com/promo-25023071-101-20051208-138
blech.

Oh ho, because that's a good shortlist :Smug: ...

Notice that they don't have a hard rock or metal albums category, just songs. That's just stupid.
And although it isn't really relevant, :lol: at not having Pelican for best instrumantal (not that I would have expected it).
Nice to see Robert Plant nominated for stuff though. I bet he gets beaten by that Rob Thomas asshole...

There is nothing bad about grammy.
There is nothing bad about beeing popular and commercial successful if it doesn´t spoil the music.

So I am glad that they´re nominated.

i think its superb that opeth is getting recognition. but i can understand the question bastardsonofgod is asking. basically, all i am worried about when a band gets popular is that they might start to write music they dont have any feeling for, simply because record companies want to spew out albums, one a year. but i dont think thats a problem for opeth. the boys arent stupid.

Mike: I don´t doubt one second that we´d be a bigger band if we did what was good for Opeth..but we just don´t! The day we would limit ourselves or adapt to the music scene, would be the day Opeth dies.

keep the faith, opeth won't sell out on us or themselves.

Moonlapse said:
The only qualm I have with increased popularity is the new fanbase that tends to get drawn in. I understand that each new era of a band draws in new fans. However, the more mainstream attention the band gets, the more chance a 'mainstream-minded' person will get into them.

You tend to find that the more obscure a band is, the more effort the fan has to look into order to find them. That implies #1 the fan really is a lover of music, or connoiseur or whatever wanker word you preffer and #2 they show incentive and that's indicative of an 'enlightened' or perhaps 'intelligent' person.

The more a band gets into the mainstream spotlight, the easier it is for people who don't really give two hoots about music to hear them. They may like the chorus to Isolation Years or something because it's really sombre and catchy, but their experience of music would only be limited to that narrow appreciation.

I'm not really sure if I'm being clear at all, but basically what I'm saying is that I dread the day that I see people practicing their karate moves (xcore) in the pit of an Opeth gig *shudder*.

I can see your point, totally. But i also cant stand this over-the-top pretentious attitude that you get with fans of obscure bands. xcore people would NEVER come to an opeth gig, simply because opeth is too "metal" sounding. xcore kids hate the metal sound, all they care about is "breakdowns" and tracks with shouting and no solos. They would even call opeth "gay" due to clear vocals, the acoustic parts and harmonies, which dont exist in xcore. Thus, i dont think you have to worry about this ever happening.

I discovered opeth as i was getting back into metal after a long hiatus, i was simply looking for something different with an old death metal edge to it (i used to listen to DM before opeth started recording). I went on amazon and looked at the recommended lists you see from metal enthusiasts titled something like "for the discerning metal head" or "metal for the thinking man" (which admittedly could be said to be rather pretentious!) and Still Life was listed in quite a few, so i bought it as a gamble as it was also the cheapest opeth album (for some odd reason im not aware of). I haven't looked back since and have been my favourite band for a couple of years now....which that makes me a comparative n00b, so flame me.

thats the best grammy list i've seen in years. The "metal" category is balls, but the others are really not that bad. Pelican should be against Vai for instrumental.

Dave Grohl deserves the success he's fought for, and the Foo Fighters are alright by me, as are U2, Coldplay, System of a Down, Audioslave, The Killers, Queens, and NIN. Rob Thomas should be adult alternative, and he should get back in his damn band because his solo career is a joke.

steel102 said:
as strongbad said, "scandinavia is the only place in the world where you can listen to death metal and get chicks!"

not true, i went to a hate eternal show when i was in seattle...there was one of the most beautiful women i have ever seen. she was single, we kept making eye contact and having a few of those, ya know, "moments"...then some other guy walked up and talked to her and they started giggling, smiling, talking. FUCK!!!!! eh, this small part of me is honestly confident that i will meet her and win her over.

JoeVice said:
not true, i went to a hate eternal show when i was in seattle...there was one of the most beautiful women i have ever seen. she was single, we kept making eye contact and having a few of those, ya know, "moments"...then some other guy walked up and talked to her and they started giggling, smiling, talking. FUCK!!!!! eh, this small part of me is honestly confident that i will meet her and win her over.

You won't.

JoeVice said:
You're a loser!

blimey said:
You don't have an argument. You said you were asking questions, and I said they were some stupid fucking questions. Then you cried, then I stopped caring. Learn english.

eventhough I also find this thread imensely gay, I must say your lingual arguments are those of a fartface. This guy knows his english from school, while you've earned it by being a tiny shitfaced baby with parents speaking english. I'd like to hear you speak another language half as good as "b s o g"'s sloppy english.

L0bster said:
eventhough I also find this thread imensely gay, I must say your lingual arguments are those of a fartface. This guy knows his english from school, while you've earned it by being a tiny shitfaced baby with parents speaking english. I'd like to hear you speak another language half as good as "b s o g"'s sloppy english.

Je parle le francais presque parfaitement.

I speak french practically perfectly. I also speak english perfectly.

L0bster, I beleive you were just owned. And don't call me a "fartface", bitch.

Powers said:
You won't.

probably not...but, metal fans are generally full-blown fans...when a show comes to town, that fan is usually there. and, if i am ever at another hate eternal, or into eternity show in seattle, i am assuming she will be there...then, i will be smooth.

Tubbs my friend, I can argue with whoever thinks I'm wrong, anytime I want. Only because when it comes to this forum, I'm hardly ever wrong. Egotistic? Yes. Right? Yes.