Opeth vs. Dream Theater, battle of the completely different prog bands!

Dream Theater or Opeth?

• Dream Theater

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Opeth

Votes: 56 86.2%
  • They both suck... wait, why am I on this board?

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

Schraiber

Opeth fanboy
Feb 5, 2002
Hell
Yeah, I know they're completely different bands, but they're both so good... I have a really hard time deciding which one I like better. Opeth is much more emotional, and I think Mike freaking owns LaBrie as a vocalist, but DT is just great to listen to....

I love both bands. They are both in my top 5 favorite bands. I think I'd take Opeth. I just like them more. More emotional, heavier, yet lighter in parts, amazing guitars, etc (you all know all of this already).

You're right - Akerfeldt is a better vocalist than LaBrie. But Portnoy is a better drummer than Lopez - and Rudess is amazing on the keyboard. They both rule, though.

Opeth wins for emotion and atmosphere.
Dream Theater wins for lyrics and technical ability (they're possibly the most talented band on the planet, John Petrucci is virtuoso, Mike Portnoy is possibly the best drummer since Neil P., Myung is the fastest bassist ive ever seen live, and Jordan Ruddess is the best keyboardist in any band)

So, i refuse to vote.

however, they are the greatest bunch of musicians ever. i have also seen 'em live, and all can do is stand there, jaw on ground, while watching them. Theyre that good. so no, im not just knocking DT for the sake of it, but I think theyre lyrics are awful.

I refuse to vote as well, because before I started to listen to Opeth, I was a total Dream Theater FREAK...I listen to the two bands for two totally different reasons.....but I think DT and Symphony X are technically the best prog rock/metal bands on the planet..........Opeth slays DT in the lyrics/singing department, whereas Petrucci/Rudess would shred up one side and down the other on our Opeth boys...but right now, I haven't listened to DT in probably 2-3 weeks, when I listen to Opeth every day. Tough call.

Opeth for me.

Personally, Opeth offer me so much more. There is not ONE opeth song I do not like. Even my all time fav Iron Maiden has penned a few songs that I do NOT like(3-4 out of 120 or so studio tracks innit bad tho). I am more of a dark romantic at heart, and Opeth hit that vibe in me with their music and atmosphere. Its just a chord in my soul that gets plucked by Opeth that DT never could hit.

DT on the other hand I have been into for 8 years or so, since I was 16. Awesome band, great tunage, alas they have a pile of songs that I consider stinkers. When they hit me right however, the breathing shudders and my eyes water up.....

And oh yeah, Mike OWNS james :)

Ya my vote definitely goes to Opeth. I would adore Dream Theater if they had a better singer. Labrie just seems to barely cut the mustard. Gosh what an analogy. Anyways my best prog band ever award would have to go to Porcupine Tree which imo is the most emotionally driven music period. Also if ya'll think DT are the best musicians out there then I suggest checking out the absurdly technical Cynic album. They literally play circles around DT, and that's not an exaggeration.

Opeth, pretty much hands down.

BUT before Opeth Dream Theater was my favorite band... but that was many moons ago hehe they are still in my top 5 bands though i think. and yeah the DT boys are surely the most talented and virtuosic (is that a word? hehe) to be allocated in one band. Collectively i don't think you can find that much raw talent anywhere!

Originally posted by Necrolicht
Ya my vote definitely goes to Opeth. I would adore Dream Theater if they had a better singer. Labrie just seems to barely cut the mustard. Gosh what an analogy. Anyways my best prog band ever award would have to go to Porcupine Tree which imo is the most emotionally driven music period. Also if ya'll think DT are the best musicians out there then I suggest checking out the absurdly technical Cynic album. They literally play circles around DT, and that's not an exaggeration.

now... i don't agree. though that band was really god damned amazing too hehe, perhaps a better bassist than DT has though.

I hate Dream Theater more than anything. It's possibly the most boring music I've ever had the displeasure to hurt my ears with, despite trying to listen to it from a technical viewpoint.

Opeth I belive are actually 100% opposite to what Dream Theater are, so it seems kind of ironic that they're plastered in the same genre of music as they're not alike whatsoever. Mikael writes music that flows and won't sacrifice atmosphere for a good old wank here and there... however Dream Theater seem to write music specifically to wank, which I don't really appreciate, myself.

So umm, yeah I vote for Opeth :)

Dream Theater are very inconsistant lyrically... they have some amazing lyrics... and some really really really godawful lyrics.