Opeth: Watershed

One thing I am not too sure I'll like is Axenrot's drumming. Lopez was perfect for the band. Somebody who likes Opeth, how does Axe do? Does he branch off from the standard "metal" drumming and do some more feeling-oriented playing? I hope so.

Axe was much better than expected, but still falls way shorrt of Lopez. He does a couple nice grooves, but he also Misses a few grooves (See that thing resembling something resembling an attempt at being "groovy or funky" or whatever he was playing?) The drumming takes a step toward standard metal drumming, and a severe lack of the Lopez-trademarked Double Paradiddle grooves, which is really really disappointing.

I saw Axe live on their last US tour, and he really left more to be desired, and I had no expectations of him being impressive, but barring a couple sections, he does a damn fine job.

I had a listen to a couple of the songs on youtube...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! :D The Lotus Eater is amazing, love the jazzy synth bit towards the end, Mikael's clean vocals are great right through the album, the bit at the end of Burden is fantastic, very cool... :D Porcelein Heart is cool, probably needs a bit more listening...

Either way I'm grabbing this album asap, and very much looking forward to seeing a lot of it played live in September... :D

Agreed on all points (especially about seeing them in September, can't fucking wait)

having seen both bands live multiple times in multiple locations, my conclusion is that dream theater tends to stand in place, occasionally headbang, or step on monitors. they rely on the glitzy light show for their stage presence, and between tracks hardly say much at all. this was 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007

by comparison, opeth, when i saw them in 2005-2006, they never really had anything in the way of lights/fireworks/screens. maybe a banner, sometimes not. but they had a lot of interaction with the audience, shouting back and forth and telling jokes. at the Oxford gig, some girl screeched like a banshee and mikael was taken aback. throughout the gig he kept pointing at her at random times to make her do it again while laughing. the members of the band tend to move around a lot more (except for mike obviously, when he has to be near the microphone. overall they had more presence, despite the much smaller stage budget.

seeing opeth live is entertaining, seeing dream theater live is only slightly different than watching them on a dvd because most shows are the same.

Maybe I just saw a bad show. Like I said...the performance was excellent...I'm just not a huge fan. I can sometimes see a band live that I don't really like and walk away from the show a fan based on the live performance and getting a new appreciation for the music. It didn't happen this time. I wouldn't shy away from seeing them again if they were on the bill with someone else I really dig.

seeing dream theater live is only slightly different than watching them on a dvd because most shows are the same.

Indeed.

When I saw DT I felt like I was watching youtube. No immersion whatsoever... Hell that cunt LaBrie didn't even talk to the crowd.

Well, you paid for a performance and whine because he didn't tell you goodnight? Maybe he can tuck you in some time too. Any number of things could've been going on that night, everytime I've seen them there's been some between-song banter. Not much, but I certainly can't imagine being bothered by it. I think it's a really stupid thing to whine about. Go see a motivational speaker or something.

The ":rolleyes:" was because of your brilliant use of the word "cunt". It certainly does seem that the best way to express distaste is to call a guy you don't even know a cunt over something as trivial as his lack of between-song banner. The true plagues to the music community are those who would let such an indecency go unnoticed while they blindly enjoy the performance they paid for regardless. You sir are a hero to us all. *high-five*

James LaBrie has always come off as a pretentious git to me.

Symphony X were supporting that night (the reason I went), there was constant band-crowd interaction.

DT however got on stage, played their set, then left. It seemed as if it was just a rehearsal to them, the crowd may as well have not existed. Which I think is appauling considering that without the fans, they would be nowhere. While the rest of the band were silent, Mike Portnoy was the only one who actually seemed to give a shit about the people who had paid to see him.

Hmm... I have heard a little bit of Watershed and I think it's definetly good, not sure if it's very good, but atleast it's good. I'll propably get a real copy for myself later too so that I can judge the album better.

...About Labrie chatting to ther crowd, the only three things I remember him saying to the audience when i saw DT in Helsinki are "We are going to hang out with you guys for the next two hours so I hope... blaah blaah...", "So do you like the fucking towel?" and "Thank you" (On few occasions).

I've seen DT 9 times over the last 11 years, and every time I've seen them, James has been kind to his fans and talks to them after a show. As a matter of fact, the last 2 times I saw them, I talked to James for 20 minutes both times about everyday shit. Every band has their own stage persona. The last time I checked, the reason people are DT fans is because of their MUSIC, not because of how much they talk or move on the stage.

I never said anything about the reasons why people like DT. Hell I like a lot of DT's stuff, I just feel their shows lack a very important element that I always look for in a show.

James LaBrie has always come off as a pretentious git to me.

Symphony X were supporting that night (the reason I went), there was constant band-crowd interaction.

DT however got on stage, played their set, then left. It seemed as if it was just a rehearsal to them, the crowd may as well have not existed. Which I think is appauling considering that without the fans, they would be nowhere. While the rest of the band were silent, Mike Portnoy was the only one who actually seemed to give a shit about the people who had paid to see him.

I don't know what a "git" is, but LaBrie does seem to have an arrogant vibe about him. And yes, Symphony X interacts with the crowd constantly. Russell is a great frontman in many ways, one of which keeping the crowd interested and giving the show a casual vibe. I agree with you that DT does not do this. There is no connection with the audience; LaBrie makes no effort whatsoever to make the fans feel "at home," which is what I believe a frontman should do.

Agreed on all points (especially about seeing them in September, can't fucking wait)

:headbang:

Well, you paid for a performance and whine because he didn't tell you goodnight? Maybe he can tuck you in some time too. Any number of things could've been going on that night, everytime I've seen them there's been some between-song banter. Not much, but I certainly can't imagine being bothered by it. I think it's a really stupid thing to whine about. Go see a motivational speaker or something.

The ":rolleyes:" was because of your brilliant use of the word "cunt". It certainly does seem that the best way to express distaste is to call a guy you don't even know a cunt over something as trivial as his lack of between-song banner. The true plagues to the music community are those who would let such an indecency go unnoticed while they blindly enjoy the performance they paid for regardless. You sir are a hero to us all. *high-five*

+1 :rolleyes:

I've seen DT 9 times over the last 11 years, and every time I've seen them, James has been kind to his fans and talks to them after a show. As a matter of fact, the last 2 times I saw them, I talked to James for 20 minutes both times about everyday shit. Every band has their own stage persona. The last time I checked, the reason people are DT fans is because of their MUSIC, not because of how much they talk or move on the stage.

yeah, at the Adelaide show James was great, talked to the crowd etc.

But I wouldn't want them to be wasting too much time just chatting around, else they wouldn't fit many songs in...

Also there is such a thing as stage-presence, of which DT's is a very grand, theatrical one, rather than a small and intimate jam session, if you went and saw a classical performance, you wouldn't be expecting the conductor to turn around and have some banter with the crowd, its just the nature of the performance, but its awesome musically, which is the primary reason for seeing them...

Yes! Thank you!! Dream Theater is a band that is about the technical music they play. Rush, and Geddy Lee are exactly the same. Geddy doesn't say much, and hasn't for....oh, let's see...35 years!! It's funny, because most bands that don't talk or do much onstage, tend to be the most approachable offstage, or after a show! Yes is still my favorite band of all time, I still love the band, but I cringe when Jon Anderson talks/rambles onstage most of the time. I respect his spiritualistic beliefs, but he can really get corny as hell a lot of times. Now Mikael, (Opeth) he seems to have the right amount of dialogue with the crowd....clever guy!

I don't go to many shows, but the reason I do go is for the music. I enjoy seeing how tight a band can be, and I enjoy listening to the music itself. I'm a musician, so I do view these types of things differently than most non-musicians. I have a feeling that a lot of the people on the same side of this debate as me are musicians.

Remember that "Cunt" is a widely used term in England. It's pretty much like if i called you a retard... wouldn't really think twice about it.

I may have been overly harsh on the Opeth stage show... they're not that bad. DT can eat a dick onstage. I want some kind of show and maybe even an indication that the people that are playing really enjoy what they're doing. I know that's asking a lot though...

I don't go to many shows, but the reason I do go is for the music. I enjoy seeing how tight a band can be, and I enjoy listening to the music itself. I'm a musician, so I do view these types of things differently than most non-musicians. I have a feeling that a lot of the people on the same side of this debate as me are musicians.

I know what you mean.

I tend to stare at people's fretboards, while watching bands, and I find it hard to give a shit about the vocalist headbanging or the drummer making eye-contact with someone in the crowd while doing so.