Opeth: Watershed

And that is why you just don't do that. ever. That's absolutely horrific.

Let me tell you, I've never been much of a "performer" but thats my own personal coordination problem, I do show life.... however nobody in a band with me would ever be allowed to walk out on stage in a getup like that... I cant believe Tate allowed it. I'd be like "have fun playing out there by yourself". Of similiar... Joe Satch has his hat thing... but Joe has stage presence, a warm smile and he can play guitar. Joes golden on stage to me, this guy whos name I never remember just seems to want to stay in that early/mid 90's "other" appearence and doesnt fit in whatsoever on stage with the band. Geoff needs to smarten up and come sing over my riffs.... lol

Well, I said that most people on my side of this would be a musician. That doesn't mean that musicians will not be on the other side too.

I am a fan of music more than any image. I listen to MIDIs on a regular basis, lol.

After a few more listens.. I think Watershed may be topping the list as my favorite Opeth album. Although it's too early to say if it will top GR, every song has a few goosebump inducing moments. Wow..:worship:

Of similiar topic, the last time I saw Queensryche in the fall the "new" guitarist, while not a total dud on stage... came out with one of those stupid ski hats on wearing gigantic headphones... which he kept on for the entire show..... hellfuckinO !

Didn't Eric Johnson wear headphones on the G3 tour?
EJ - My how the mighty have fallen! :(

I was thinking the same thing awhile back today ? I actually own that one but its lent out, to the guy whos Petucci one I have... lol

Yngwie owned! and hes not my favorite of the three either

hearing protection > looking cool

Also, the descriptions of DT's stage presence are being grossly exaggerated here. The "cardboard cutout" and the "standing still in one spot" stuff really only applies to Myung. This really is an uphill argument, considering the crowd here, so I'm done with it.

hearing protection > looking cool

Not my point at all. Are they for hearing protection, or are they oversized in-ear monitors? Seriously, if they are for hearing protection, I can only wonder why he'd choose shooting range "style" over something a little more comfortable that might work better.....

Not my point at all. Are they for hearing protection, or are they oversized in-ear monitors? Seriously, if they are for hearing protection, I can only wonder why he'd choose shooting range "style" over something a little more comfortable that might work better.....

I would imagine they serve both purposes.

I know what you mean.

I tend to stare at people's fretboards, while watching bands, and I find it hard to give a shit about the vocalist headbanging or the drummer making eye-contact with someone in the crowd while doing so.

me too...

All I know is we just had a show here in Albany last week, was no more than a 45 min drive, I coulda of went, shoulda went but for some reason didnt and it doesnt bother me. I dont know whats going on but I should be concerned. I've been curious about seeing Opeth live and havent seen DT since 92 or 93... yet I just let it go... [grief]

shame on you... :p

I can't believe these recent DT shows have been sit-down gigs :lol:

That just highlights one of the problems I find with many prog fans, it seems that to a lot of poeple music is a Science and when they go to gigs its for a presentation.

Being able to sit back and enjoy seeing music played at its limits hardly constitutes it as a 'science'... :err:

That really doesn't have much to do with it. There are other ways to enjoy gigs than swinging your hair in the faces of everyone next to you and thrashing around. A Dream Theater concert and your average metal concert are very different and you're making a sad attempt at placing your standards for one onto the other, which is where your logic is flawed.

+1 There's nothing wrong with a recital anyway, and Dream Theater is hardly that... I think its mostly people who don't really like Dream Theater anyway just nitpicking...

How many rush/dt gigs have you seen? there's a big difference: first let's cover the similarities though. both are massively popular and so both tend to play stadiums. both have lots of money to afford screens and fireworks and lasers. but while DT relies solely on that to be their "stage presence" while they stand still like cardboard cutouts, rush is much more animated and crowd connected. opeth and other bands are the same way. i cannot fathom how people who have been to a DT gig where they sit quietly in their assigned seats throughout the movie (cause that's what it is), and when it's done, the band leaves, they leave, and that's the end. maybe you go to the FYE tent to cash in on some signing gimmicks. the level of crowd interaction and actual stage PRESENCE just is not there.

Way exaggeration, there's definately interaction, its a wonderful experience, if people aren't fans, they're not going to appreciate it even if Dream Theater played hanging upside-down swinging from the rafters, having a conversation with the crowd whilst playing anyway...

Also, the descriptions of DT's stage presence are being grossly exaggerated here. The "cardboard cutout" and the "standing still in one spot" stuff really only applies to Myung. This really is an uphill argument, considering the crowd here, so I'm done with it.

Again, +1

Exactly they are monitors and judgeing by the rest of the field hardly necessary. If a musician is concerned with their hearing I would suggest folk or bluegrass carnivals, dont audition for a metal band. Furthermore if you are a metal musician and tired of having your head blown off, I would highly support a private militia whos sole purpose it beating sense into stupid soundmen. Both Queensryche shows I went to were at very reasonable volumn, this last one especially and the quality was great, only the vocals were a bit low.

I understand ear protection, I wore hardhat, muffs and facescreen all day long for 20 years... but when the band played I left them home.......

I did sound for my friends band for a year, their drummer wore ear plugs, they are great for cutting highs and the lows rumble through.... that guy had no idea how HARD he was hitting those cymbals, I had cymbals coming through every mic on the stage there was nothing I could do with it, clearly a case where headphone monitors on him would have helped or just pulling the ear plugs out, stage volumn was low... cept his damn cymbals.

They also make musician's earplugs that are designed specifically for each person and they cut out damaging wavelengths while still allowing you to hear clearly. There are also in-ear monitors which allow you to have some control over the sound.

There are plenty of other better choices.

They might serve both purposes, but primarily they are ear protection. Given that he only used them during the jam at the end (at least on that DVD) and I haven't seen him wear them elsewhere, I'm assuming just ear protection since the others probably have a lot more stage volume than he does. Paul Gilbert's serve the dual purpose.

The musician's ear plugs that Zach talking about are great, and I reccomend them. However they are really expensive (you're looking at $150 or more for a pair) and they don't offer as much protection as headphones (at least not the high quality ones). They do sound great though. In-ear's are great too, but again, expensive. Some people also really don't like the sound of those.

How many rush/dt gigs have you seen? there's a big difference: first let's cover the similarities though. both are massively popular and so both tend to play stadiums. both have lots of money to afford screens and fireworks and lasers. but while DT relies solely on that to be their "stage presence" while they stand still like cardboard cutouts, rush is much more animated and crowd connected. opeth and other bands are the same way. i cannot fathom how people who have been to a DT gig where they sit quietly in their assigned seats throughout the movie (cause that's what it is), and when it's done, the band leaves, they leave, and that's the end. maybe you go to the FYE tent to cash in on some signing gimmicks. the level of crowd interaction and actual stage PRESENCE just is not there.

I've been going to Rush shows since their 87' -88' Hold Your Fire tour. Geddy isn't too talkative, of course they're animated...who isn't compared to DT? But not by much! And DT(been going to DT shows since they came to Florida in mid 90's) doesn't leave after a show. I've met them every time before, and after a show, and they don't seem to be just standing there, they're quite talkative. Yes, even John Myung is talkative...if you know what to ask him. And screw you on the FYI thing! Go over to the Opeth thread and find my rant on how much I despise them....it's was posted around 5-7 days ago. They were an embarassment, expecting fans at Gigantour to give up $20 just to talk to the bands. I've met Megadeth, DT, Symphony X, and Opeth many times before. Why would I buy their albums again? Like I said before, I could care less what a band does onstage, as long as they sound good. When I buy my music, (it is AUDIO, right?) I'm not getting images of the band members onstage, I'm listening to music. To each their own. I'm in a band, and I tend to have about the same kind of persona as Ronnie James Dio. I could care less if someone thinks I should do more or less...I still get laid, and compliments, so that to me is a bonus, because It's the music first for me.

Oh yeah, John Myung used to jump around the stage the first few years when Dream Theater first started, he was the most active, and mobile of the whole group. And take a look at the Live IN Tokyo dvd. They all were quite (well not Moore-keyboards) active. So you guys might want to go look at some of their past shows back in the late 80's. They make comments about how funny they were acting then, I guess they just don't feel like doing it...who cares.