Opeth: Watershed

This was the result of my shopping trip today:
ArsisOpeth.png

Two of the best albums 2008 has recieved yet imo.

Bought Watershed SE, and re-release of Still Life today. Going to listen to Watershed soon. The artwork for the SE is pretty cool, but the package itself could've been a lot better. It's extremely awkward, especially when trying to change CDs in the car, which I do a lot. I wanted the extra material, so this is what I get. The new Still Life comes in an amazing package. I'm very impressed. I haven't listened to that either yet, but I shall soon.
On second thought, when I bring Watershed anywhere, I will take only the little cardboard disc holder and leave the rest of the packaging at home. That makes more sense. :headbang:

Just finished listening to Watershed.

After first listen, I have to say that I really enjoyed the album, but I am also disappointed. A lot of the things I love Opeth for are not present on this album... or at least not AS present. (Side note: I do think that this album is going to grow on me a lot, and again, I did really enjoy it and I can't wait to listen again)

I find a lot of the smooth transitions are missing. This album seems a lot more cut and paste than usual... especially with the random noises/parts. Too much playing around in the studio as well. I'm not a fan of the random studio glitchy repeating noises. There are also a lot less emotional solos than expected, and I always loved Opeth's solos. The pitch-change ending of Burden actually sounds pretty awesome to me, though.

Hessian Peel stands out the most to me as an album favourite and is definitely classic Opeth.

I found Axe's drumming to fit quite nicely. Not as good as Lopez, imo, but still very nice. Hessian's verse beat is very tasty and in the vein of Lopez. I also heard the Lopez signature pattern in Heir.

Its certainly growing on me, I really like it! I agree on the studio, glitchy 'clever' bits, a bit annoying, but everything else is fantastic! I reckon the solos are fantastic, especially on Burden, the organ solo, then the emotional guitar solo trade-off, and the acoustic outro sounds really cool... The jazzy bit on The Lotus Eater sounds amazing as well... All Opeth albums have taken a while to grow on me, with the exception of Ghost Reveries, which musically is probably my favourite atm, but this new one is fantastic, and I think Fredrik is the perfect addition to the band, just adds a bit more in the technical solo area, leaving Mikael more room for the acoustic and emotional solos...

Its certainly growing on me, I really like it! I agree on the studio, glitchy 'clever' bits, a bit annoying, but everything else is fantastic! I reckon the solos are fantastic, especially on Burden, the organ solo, then the emotional guitar solo trade-off, and the acoustic outro sounds really cool... The jazzy bit on The Lotus Eater sounds amazing as well... All Opeth albums have taken a while to grow on me, with the exception of Ghost Reveries, which musically is probably my favourite atm, but this new one is fantastic, and I think Fredrik is the perfect addition to the band, just adds a bit more in the technical solo area, leaving Mikael more room for the acoustic and emotional solos...

Funny that you said that... all of their albums had to grow on me a bit as well, other than GR :p

I have no doubt that I will love this album the more I listen to it. I already do find it an amazing release.

Before, when I said Axe's drumming wasn't as good as Lopez's, I want to make it clear that I think he's around equal to all of the albums Lopez did EXCEPT GR, which was a phenominal performance.

Wintersun are the best example of having to re-listen for me.

First time I listened to the album: "cool"

Second time: "still cool"

Third time: "OMG"

I thought Opeth was awesome live the 2 times I have seen them. (I love Watershed, btw). To me their stage presence is just the huge sound they create. Also Mikael has tons of great in-between-song banter. Sure they don't move around much but to me their music gets me wayy more involved live than say, Dream Theater's. I don't need to focus on solos or riffs when I watch Opeth, I just get lost in the music as a whole. Having seen DT 5 times thus far, I've started to lose interest, in fact when they played after Opeth it was so underwhelming I thought I was going to fall asleep.
Fuck sit-down shows! :kickass:

I'm a little pissed that the Bonus Tracks are on DVD and not possible to put onto my iPod :erk: They are really very good.

I've been wearing Skullcandy's noise cancellation Earbuds for playing at home/jamming at home. I wear Hearo's ear filters ($6 at SamAsh) at practice and gigs. Last weekend I forgot them, played with a naked ear for the first time in a couple months, and couldn't hear people talking to me between sets, it was bad. for most concerts a little wet toilet paper/napkin in my ear will do the trick, and not make me look like a homo with 3" of foam sticking out of my ears. Discrete and it works.

Wintersun are the best example of having to re-listen for me.

First time I listened to the album: "cool"

Second time: "still cool"

Third time: "OMG"

Hell yes it does. It just gets better with time.

I had a two year break of Wintersun but when I checked it again last autumn, I just got hooked. That album never seizes to amaze me.

E: ZOMG, about Wintersun, there's been some updates about the upcoming album from Jari Mäenpää and Kai Hahto.
Can't believe how much shit they've had in the process. I hope it just turns out good in the end... Going off topic?

well imho Porcelain Heart and burden are awesome songs
i am unable to listen to all of the other songs and enjoy cause of the death/black growling

^ Regardless, with that kind of mentality he shouldn't even bother listening to Opeth :lol:

i like albums which show me how the band has moved on, with the last album, i thought the biggest change was the production, which was spot on, crisp tight and really brought out the best bits of the songs. in this new album, i can't see anything has really changed, if you dropped the tracks in to a playlist with the tracks from ghost reveries and shuffled it, an unknowing listener would struggle to identify which tracks were the new ones and which were old.

I just hope opeth arent going to level out here and do what in flames do where every album just sounds the fucking same.