Opeth: Watershed

@Meedley:
I just remeber him wearing those, and honestly haven't watched that DVD for a long time. I damn near got sonically killed in 79 & again in 81 by AC/DC & Van Halen. I wore plugs when wearing plugs wasn't cool. Weird thing was, I never wore them when I played in bands, until the late 80's. I'd even wad up toilet paper if I left mine at home, or in the car. Hearing protection is way greater than looking cool. At 44, I still have ears like a bat. :) I didn't want to end up like Pete Townsend, Ted Nugenrt, or my dad, whose hearing loss is from artillery in WWII.

@Meedley:
I just remeber him wearing those, and honestly haven't watched that DVD for a long time. I damn near got sonically killed in 79 & again in 81 by AC/DC & Van Halen. I wore plugs when wearing plugs wasn't cool. Weird thing was, I never wore them when I played in bands, until the late 80's. I'd even wad up toilet paper if I left mine at home, or in the car. Hearing protection is way greater than looking cool. At 44, I still have ears like a bat. :) I didn't want to end up like Pete Townsend, Ted Nugenrt, or my dad, whose hearing loss is from artillery in WWII.

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic, I was just explaining why I reckon they were just for ear protection and possibly not for monitoring purposes (I'll watch the DVD later to see if I can't confirm). On the earplug thing...there's no one I pity more than people who go to concerts without ear plugs. ESPECIALLY if they are musicians. I'm sure there's some way to tie that into a joke comparing it to having sex with Paris Hilton without a condom on, but I don't feel like working that one out right now.

Ok, I'm trying to make the connection here...Opeth wore giant headphones while recording Watershed, or one should wear giant earphones while listening to it? The latter sounds like good advice.

Ok, I'm trying to make the connection here...Opeth wore giant headphones while recording Watershed, or one should wear giant earphones while listening to it? The latter sounds like good advice.

No, someone just claimed that giant headphones look uncool when a metal band member wears them on stage. I disagree.

No, someone just claimed that giant headphones look uncool when a metal band member wears them on stage. I disagree.

It was a joke...I was suggesting that the focus of the thread went astray.

I also disagree. Nothing says "rock out with your cock out" like giant headphones.

3287791.jpg

I wear earplugs at every jam, and I wear isolation headphones when playing on my own. I would also wear earplugs at concerts. I find everything sounds better with them on anyway because it blocks out the ear-piercing treble, which saving your hearing at the same time.

It was a joke...I was suggesting that the focus of the thread went astray.

I also disagree. Nothing says "rock out with your cock out" like giant headphones.

3287791.jpg

Metaaaall!!!!:headbang:

orig_image-17787

I wear headphones like these when I practice drumming! I'm just so cool. Not cool enough to wear them when playing live at stage yet tho (Which is partly cause I haven't had any gigs in quite a while)

On the earplug thing...there's no one I pity more than people who go to concerts without ear plugs. ESPECIALLY if they are musicians.

With this I agree. In fact, the one time I forgot earplugs was at the most recent Symphony X show, and I kicked myself in the ass afterward for the tinnitus I suffered for the next three days. You can hear more WITH the earplugs in, anyway. Plus you protect your hearing.

By the way, I wouldn't touch Paris Hilton with a 40-foot pole.

Remember that "Cunt" is a widely used term in England.
Right, like in the Mission From Arry track (argument) by Maiden...

Nicko: No it ain't. If I'd 'a known...now I'm the fuckin' cunt all of a sudden.
Steve: No, you're not the cunt.
Bruce: You're not a cunt.
:D

As to Watershed, it didn't grab me at all...found it boring. But Opeth for me has been historically hit-n-miss. I don't like the earliest albums, love Still Life and Blackwater Park, didn't care much for Deliverance/Damnation, love Ghost Reveries
shrug2.gif

BTW, I don't like the cover art for the normal edition, but the Ltd.Ed. is great!
1023703.jpg

I actually prefer the standard edition artwork, but I most likely will get the special edition for the dvd...

On the earplug thing...there's no one I pity more than people who go to concerts without ear plugs. ESPECIALLY if they are musicians.

I always do, it definately helps to balance the sound which makes it better as well as preventing you from not being able to enjoy it properly for fear of going deaf...