Opeth: Watershed

I have been listening to Watershed like mad, and I am really, REALLY starting to love it. It is just blowing me away. The more I listen to Axe's drumming, too, the more I start to appreciate it. Definitely earned my respect and is the perfect choice for Opeth's music.

EDIT: Btw, in comparing Watershed and GR, I'd definitely say that there's a distinct difference between the two. I find Watershed uses a lot of different chords, and chord progressions than most of their older material. I hear more "happy/sad" sounding chords throughout the album, rather than dark, scary chords... but those are still present of course.

yeah, Mikael mentions that, he uses a lot more Major based chords on Watershed, which still don't sound 'happy', but certainly give an interesting flavour...

I don't really like Pale Folklore. it's too mcuh BM influence and not enough awesome. I think ken nailed it as far as people not so into "extreme" metal but want to check some fukkin' aggie. And for the record, Ashes is one of my favorite albums ever.

yeah, Mikael mentions that, he uses a lot more Major based chords on Watershed, which still don't sound 'happy', but certainly give an interesting flavour...

Exactly what I was talking about :headbang: It's a nice change and I think it sounds great. I also love their use of dissonance (i.e. opening piano to Burden), which they've been doing for a long time.

No, it's not The Mantle, but it's a good album. Once a band has more than one album, one's going to end up not as good as the other.

I can't believe people (not here, elsewhere) are picking on the apparent out of tuneness of the guitar in Burden. If it was on purpose, it was tasteful. If not, who cares.

It was on purpose.

The laugh (that turns into a click) at the end is because the guy detuning the guitar at the end fell over and Mikael laughed.

I personally think its very impressive considering he manages to stay in the same key throughout the detuning.

It was on purpose.

The laugh (that turns into a click) at the end is because the guy detuning the guitar at the end fell over and Mikael laughed.

I personally think its very impressive considering he manages to stay in the same key throughout the detuning.
Amazing. I love crap like that.

zomg i missed an Agalloch conversation!!!!! *runs off crying*

I still love 'she painted fire across the skyline' from pale folklore.. but theyve definately grown ALOT since then also.. their sound has matured alot.. *bows down*

Zacho! you never told me what you ever thought of Watershed???

the song Coil just killllllllllllllllssss me.. beautiful.. and the girl on it, Nathalie? her voice is so stunning.. definately an amazing find on mikaels part (yes i know she is the new drummers gf)

my verdict is there is nothing on that album i don't love.. I was having a discussion with someone last night who apparently was arguing with some guy who reckons the 'funky' bit on the lotus eater is 'not opeth', is just 'wankery showing off' and 'ruins the whole album'.. my answer to that: get stuffed! Actually my answer was a bit ruder than that, but you get the idea.. maybe I'm biased coz I love the funk sound, but I think it's great, and Opeth have always experimented with their music.. some people are just tossers..

my verdict is there is nothing on that album i don't love.. I was having a discussion with someone last night who apparently was arguing with some guy who reckons the 'funky' bit on the lotus eater is 'not opeth', is just 'wankery showing off' and 'ruins the whole album'.. my answer to that: get stuffed! Actually my answer was a bit ruder than that, but you get the idea.. maybe I'm biased coz I love the funk sound, but I think it's great, and Opeth have always experimented with their music.. some people are just tossers..

excellent response, my thoughts exactly... :heh: