• Morningrise

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 16 14.0%
  • Orchid and Morningrise

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • Orchid, Morningrise, and My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • None of them! They're perfect the way they are!

Votes: 34 29.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 17, 2006
USA
If Opeth were to decide to go back and re-record some of their early material, which albums do you think would benefit most from a re-recording? Would you hate the idea? Just thought I'd see how everybody feels about it.

I voted for Orchid and Morningrise. I think it would be a *really* cool thing if they went back and sort of updated the songs into their current style. I'd also love to hear the songs with re-recorded vocals, as Mikael is a much better vocalist now than he was back then.

I wouldn't want the original versions to go out of print or anything, because they'll always be terrific for what they are. I just think it would be awesome to hear these old songs in the style the band plays now, with a new updated sound and new vocals.

As for My Arms, Your Hearse, I think it could definitely use a remix/remaster like Still Life just got...but the album as a whole doesn't really need a new recording in my opinion. The album is pretty much in the style of the band's newer stuff, so it wouldn't do much to re-record it.

That's my take on it! :)

Maybe Orchid, but I think they sound fine the way they are and there's no reason to rerecord them unless they wanted to rewrite them for some reason.

I voted none.. It would totally *remove the epicness* of the albums..
Even though some mixes are a bit shitty, or mike doesn't like TNATSW on the album..
Its Opeth, you can't just change that..

I´ve always thinked that MAYH´s production had an unfinished feel to it,like they forgot to finish the production. But over the years i´ve come to like that it sounds raw. Still would be interesting to hear it with another sound.

i think my arms has perfect recording quality for where they were as a band at that time. Its like the introduction to the truly unique sound that they have developed.

A bit off topic but I think Opeth should record the next record LIVE.... Roundhouse Tapes sounds so incredibly powerful and has great tones that I guess they can't reproduce in a studio, who knows why....

Honestly I think re-recording anything would be a huge waste of time. The existing albums sound great because the band was into the process of creation and it was where Mikael was at the time. Forcing yourself to go back and try to experience those things again is like artistic suicide. No disrespect to the people that would like to hear that but....seriously, that's a turd of an idea.

1. akerfeldt is an enormously improved vocalist since their start in the mid-90's

2. the original drummer on the first 2 albums sucked wanksack

3. the general production on those albums is tinny and shitty and the heavy parts aren't heavy enough

obv they're not gonna do it but 'twould be an improvement to re-record orchid and morningrise Q.E.D.